• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

Just now, dylanthekid said:

I can read it and I wear glasses! You gotta pinch with your thumb and zoom in. Lack of technical smartphone skills and or eye sight/stronger glasses is not the same as someone being dishonest by a longshot.

I'm actually very tech savvy. I do it for a living.

I never said you were dishonest.

How did you obtain the two books? Did you submit them yourself or did you sell them for someone else or purchase them as-is and then sell them?

I suppose it doesn't matter.

If those were your auctions, you saw the labels. You knew what they were. You listed them as-is and let it ride, providing minimal information to inform and educate the buying audience.

Should be good times once the buyers receive them!

8 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Here is the link to the CGC page regarding custom labels: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/7873/ 

It says, " Labels are offered in CGC’s Universal (blue) and Signature Series (yellow) formats for an additional $5 fee." and shows you all the examples available at this time.

Thank you. 

It's becoming clear to me what the problem is...

This thread was created to draw attention to multiple issues; 1. Buyers paying blue label prices on restored books. 2. CGC using the wrong labels which has apparently been ongoing for longer than I expected.

It isn't about seller shaming, but if you are defending yourself by saying your guidelines for restoration differ than CGC's why use their services at all?  That's what you pay them for, third party review.  

I am curious if you will bother to contact the buyers and let them know to read the label carefully before shipping the item out.  I personally would not want to be eating the refund shipping and listing expense which would be over $300 per book.  That is more than enough motivation for me to fully disclose what I am selling but we all have different risk tolerance I guess.  

5 minutes ago, PleaseDontTouch said:

Thank you for providing this information. I've been following this particular situation for several months, so I'm painfully aware of what's been going on. Unfortunately, as evidenced by this thread, there appears to be a new fly in the ointment...  :( 

3 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Dylan seems like a nice enough person but I would say that he seems to lack a bit of emotional maturity especially in his on line dealings.

The responses so far seem to indicate this and I wasn't expecting anything less.

A rational human being can make a judgement without having to pull the same sales figures as you.  Some of us don't do this for a living.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, dylanthekid said:

I provide a wide assortment of good product at fair prices with super quick shipping. I better! Right now we have a batch of planets up ending Sunday

We know many of the same people, so if I wanted something from you (which may  will not happen) I wouldn't go through ebay.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:14 AM, dylanthekid said:

Why is it not? What is your feedback and what do you sell in $ per month? It's germaine because we are establishing standards if you wanna have an ethics discussion.

Your feedback is how buyers see their transactions and not necessarily about the seller's ethics, although they are certainly correlated. my ebay is linked in here somewhere

Edited by Bird

3 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What about the ASM 9?  It’s trimmed, and I see no mention of that in your description.(shrug)

He's ["they're"] still determining if it actually was.

EDIT: My mistake. He ["they"] were coming to an entirely different determination.

Edited by MR SigS
Because trimming isn't restora...>cough-cough!-COUGH!!<

1 hour ago, dylanthekid said:

Nobody shames Heritage or Comicconnect when they have a golden age book with a universal label that reads small amount of color touch, or small amount of glue as they shouldn't. Why am I being singled out?

Dylan, 

Actually they have been here on the boards and I remember in some cases where the auction house either removed the book or at least notated the label error in the description.  I, myself, have posted about some Metro's raw listings that have notes that would make a book Qualified but their grade does not show that.  

Perhaps the buyer recognized that CCG had made label notations and factored that into their bidding; but, I still believe any seller should offer full disclosure - they can also offer their disagreement with the third party's grading assessment if that is the case.  Full disclosure, in my opinion, extends to raw books as well (e.g., a seller not noting a small dot of CT which may or may not be visible in a scan.  

You offer a lot of very desirable books and I enjoy seeing them and I hope you take the posts as constructive and not destructive.

1 hour ago, dylanthekid said:

If you have a yellow cover that is beautiful unread, no ticks, and you put one dot with a marker on the yellow, is that restoration? If so what is being restored?

It's unbelievable that someone is actually asking this question.  You are replacing color that was lost through wear.  It's the very DEFINITION of restoration.  Like when they touch up Rembrandt's paintings for aesthetic and structural purposes.  R-E-S-T-O-R-A-T-I-O-N.

To not realize this is a statement toward complete ignorance of this aspect of the hobby.

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

Finally, for the triple tap, there is at least one "good guy" dealer that has been advocating for the elimination of the purple label and just having blue labels with notes.

This is Exhibit A as to why that is f-ing stupid.

Definitely NOT stupid, but only if the unicolor labelling system comes with both a 10-point condition grading system IN COMBINATION with a 10-point restoration rating system.  hm

This is what CGC should have gone with in the first place and it would have avoided the PLOD and its resulting unintended consequences of stigmatizing restored books.  >:(  :censored:

In the auction description, there should have been this phrase: "The comic has a blue label, but there is some minor restoration present."

This is because a blue label with restoration present is an anomaly.  It is not to be expected.  The blue label is a visual key that suggests "all is well", the book has been checked for restoration, good to go.  As you will sometimes hear the phrase "in the interests of full disclosure...."

Not much disclosure here.  The seller was hoping the critical detail would slide by unnoticed.  Guess it did??

The "hi res" photo is 676px × 1,024px.  I have a 30" 4k monitor, and even magnified, the restoration comment is hard to see.

I tend to be a pretty understanding person and like to believe in people.  I believe you when you say that you didn't know that this was different from golden age comics which can get blue labels with 'very small amount of glue on cover' or 'very minor color touch on cover'.  But now that it has been pointed out to you that @Brittany M. has already commented that these are a mistake the next move is up to you.  Will you contact the people who bought the comics and let them know the mistake?

14 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Dylan, I'm not sure this is the direction you want to go... 

I'm certain it isn't. How many times have we seen situations like this play out on the boards? 

I was a little too tall could've used a few pounds
Tight pants
points hardly renowned
She was a black haired beauty with big dark eyes
And
points all her own sitting way up high
Way up firm and high

Edited by Inappropriate Spock