• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

This is a CGC graded comic.  It has a hired, professional opinion of grade.  Actually, at least 2 graders' opinions, according to CGC.  If this grade is relied upon in the representation of the comic for sale, the professional opinion next to it that it has RESTORATION should also be relied upon and accepted.  You can't have it both ways.

2 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

Ryan, I don't think this witch hunt is fair. I did absolutely nothing wrong.

My argument is I don't think the "restoration changed the grades of the books IMO"

I and another party handled each of the books disassembled-CGC did not.

CGC is the leading authenticator of comic books. If YOU think they messed up which I don't, the key phrase is "they"

The thing is that if you look up the certification numbers you can see that CGC considers them restored:

128943508_c-1(2).thumb.PNG.14f891991ceef72faf3ae2012064c873.PNGc-1.PNG.9caa5475059fdd6c7a76566d0a094a0c.PNG

5 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

I scrolled through some of his feedback and it really wasn't all that bad.  It seemed like some were common eBay complaints from buyers who complain about shipping costs (buyers who dont realize how expensive shipping can be) or a book not being a 9.8 (but not paying 9.8 prices).  The ratio is actually very good when you consider how much he has sold on there and how many of the complaints come from the same buyers.

Dylan seems like a nice enough person but I would say that he seems to lack a bit of emotional maturity especially in his on line dealings.  I have interacted with him once at a show and he was a pleasure to deal with.  He definitely should explain himself here but I'm going to assume that he's going to say that the pictures clearly showed the labels.  Definitely interested in seeing if he shows up here.  If he doesn't show up i'll shoot him a message.

yeah we had some runs that were 9.8s, but the problem with $1 and $2 comics, (Cheap comics) is the people are well CHEAP. I've started undergrading or not even grading that stuff just to keep everyone happy. I got mass returns the 1st week of my runs on comics that were $1 each at a time. The cheapness makes me sick.

My raw return rate once I did the grading on DylanAuctions was 1% and I tightened it up in the past month on cheaper stuff because of cheap people who buy them no offense it literally is the demographic, to less than 1/2 that which is .5%. I would say 1/3 the time today something gets returned it is my fault, 2/3 not.

So out of 800 comics I used to get 8 returns, now I'm at 4. I think that is very freaking good.

Edited by dylanthekid
typo

53 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely NOT stupid, but only if the unicolor labelling system comes with both a 10-point condition grading system IN COMBINATION with a 10-point restoration rating system.  hm

This is what CGC should have gone with in the first place and it would have avoided the PLOD and its resulting unintended consequences of stigmatizing restored books.  >:(  :censored:

The genie cannot be stuffed back in the bottle. It is stupid based upon the fact that people have been conditioned since 2000 to look for the purple label.

Edited by seanfingh

Just now, PleaseDontTouch said:

Your ignorance is showing.

Unfortunately, he doesn't care.  He is selling graded comics and has not a whit of experience with the history of many of these issues - going back 20 years.  Even if lou_fine and I disagree on the nature of the purple label and its usefulness, we both know that we are conversant with the arguments that have been swirling around for decades.

This will end up the way it almost always does, with very little needle-moving, and the Seller still being able to move whatever he wants, because Cool BooksTM

18 minutes ago, PleaseDontTouch said:

If they removed these books then they screwed the seller. Those books aren't error books, CGC does this on purpose.

Yes I know but I did not day specifically these books had small CT.  If I am not mistaken at least one was trimmed with a blue label.  I cannot say ascertainment as I am going on memory but I have several GA books with a blue label that notes small amount of CT which I understand and acknowledge as acceptable per CGC.  There have been egregious label errors which are the ones I was referring to and should added more clarity to my post. 

6 minutes ago, telerites said:

Yes I know but I did not day specifically these books had small CT.  If I am not mistaken at least one was trimmed with a blue label.  I cannot say ascertainment as I am going on memory but I have several GA books with a blue label that notes small amount of CT which I understand and acknowledge as acceptable per CGC.  There have been egregious label errors which are the ones I was referring to and should added more clarity to my post. 

One of them does say trimmed.  I believe it is the #9.

12 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Unfortunately, he doesn't care.  He is selling graded comics and has not a whit of experience with the history of many of these issues - going back 20 years.  Even if lou_fine and I disagree on the nature of the purple label and its usefulness, we both know that we are conversant with the arguments that have been swirling around for decades.

This will end up the way it almost always does, with very little needle-moving, and the Seller still being able to move whatever he wants, because Cool BooksTM

^^

28 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

The genie cannot be stuffed back in the bottle. It is stupid based upon the fact that people have been conditioned since 2000 to look for the purple label.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely NOT stupid, but only if the unicolor labelling system comes with both a 10-point condition grading system IN COMBINATION with a 10-point restoration rating system.  hm

This is what CGC should have gone with in the first place and it would have avoided the PLOD and its resulting unintended consequences of stigmatizing restored books.  >:(  :censored:

Correct.

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Finally, for the triple tap, there is at least one "good guy" dealer that has been advocating for the elimination of the purple label and just having blue labels with notes.

This is Exhibit A as to why that is f-ing stupid.

Sometimes you can be nice...this isn't one of those times. lol

There were MANY advocates for this and it started with Steve Borock. Then others along the way (like myself) thought about it and decided it was actually a good idea.

The problem - as your quote at the top (I don't know how to move it down here) states - is that people have been conditioned already to see things one way and that changing that perception is going to be tough.

Not impossible, but tough.

So when Voldemart did it (secret code name for the competition) there were a few people who purchased restored books in blue labels without realizing it (funnily enough, I was one of them)...but then I learned to read the label.

The idea isn't 'f-ing stupid'. It's just a matter of what people are used to. and if everyone was used to everything in a blue label from 2000 onwards then all of a sudden putting Restored books in a purple label would sound 'f-ing stupid'

But thanks for your kind post. :headbang:

Edited by VintageComics