• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

Honestly I have not read through this entire thread but this is not an issue limited to the books being discussed, in my last four submissions I have had no less than four books in the wrong holder, two were mine and two were a customers book.  None of these were “special labels” either.  One restored book in a blue label with restoration notes, two conserved books in restored labels, and one conserved book with grader notes which incorrectly list restoration.  

this is all a non issue if these books are correctly labelled.  

I have bought books off Dylan as have some other collector friends and none of us have had any negative issues.

32 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

But it is not restoration, it is a defect. If adding an edge is restoration, what does taking a way an edge mean or making it smaller mean? You cannot have it both ways

I actually thought adding pieces was restoration but when CGC changed some designations with conservation labels, I don't know anymore.

And I am glad you appreciated Roy's @VintageComics post.  I too find him knowledge and have bought books from him as well.  I do find it disconcerting that I noted I was a satisfied customer of yours and I know one of the books I bought was close to $1K which is a lot money to me.  I admit I found some of your responses could easily be construed as contrarian.  I am not necessarily a proponent of the customer always being right but being argumentative toward customers is not a positive, in my opinion.   

47 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I mentioned this thread to Brittany and CGC is aware of it, have said that they were mistakenly labelled and have reached out to Dylan so that should settle the discussion.

Doubtful :baiting:

1 hour ago, PleaseDontTouch said:

Sin of omission.

1 hour ago, MR SigS said:

It means [trimming] should be mentioned in the listing.

1 hour ago, dylanthekid said:

It is, in the picture.

So is "OW-W Marvel-1964", and with a larger font, yet you still added this to your listing title. It's much more clearly a volume 1 than it is trimmed.

Edited by MR SigS

48 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I mentioned this thread to Brittany and CGC is aware of it, have said that they were mistakenly labelled and have reached out to Dylan so that should settle the discussion.

It wont do anything, Dylan has plainly told us here that he knows what he is doing. He wants to sell these comics for as high a price as he can get and does not want further confirmation that they are restored. 

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

It wont do anything, Dylan has plainly told us here that he knows what he is doing. He wants to sell these comics for as high a price as he can get and does not want further confirmation that they are restored. 

Maybe the buyers will chime in....:wishluck:

26 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Maybe the buyers will chime in....:wishluck:

Many buyers out there are buying comics as (ill thought) investments. You and I both see those posts come up here and I will assume that only a fraction of those who think that way reach out to these boards. So I will assume this goes with a lack of knowledge, as is the case for all speculative investments. All that to say that there is a good chance those buyers simply see the blue slab and think all is fine, even though the notes may say that it shouldn't be blue. The fact that they sold for these amounts shows that this is the case. 

Edited by William-James88

2 hours ago, Lightning55 said:
4 hours ago, dylanthekid said:

If you have a yellow cover that is beautiful unread, no ticks, and you put one dot with a marker on the yellow, is that restoration? If so what is being restored?

It's unbelievable that someone is actually asking this question.  You are replacing color that was lost through wear.  It's the very DEFINITION of restoration.  Like when they touch up Rembrandt's paintings for aesthetic and structural purposes.  R-E-S-T-O-R-A-T-I-O-N.

To not realize this is a statement toward complete ignorance of this aspect of the hobby.

Actually, it's unbelievable that you posted that. The question was clearly about a cover with no wear, no color loss. How can you restore something that isn't damaged?

And that's without even mentioning the fact that CGC does not consider some obvious restoration to be restoration.

1 hour ago, dylanthekid said:

Because the label acknowledges my blue with a little non additive resto argument. It's not about me being right or wrong, This is basically a public trial, it's me proving I'm not guilty. Innocent until proven guilty is only for REAL crimes haha.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

There are a lot of topics here, a lot of opinions.  I have 2 takeaways from all of this:

1.) I now have to watch for "grader notes" or disclaimers on blue labels (what??).

2.) I will be very wary if considering purchasing a listing posted by dylanauctions.

Thoroughly looking the book over and checking the entire label is a must. I also advise carefully checking the case to make sure there aren't any defects such as large scratches or cracks. If the pictures aren't clear or they're taken from too far away, I'll ask the seller if they can take better pictures. If they're unable or unwilling to accommodate my request, it's time to move on. If it's a fairly expensive purchase, I'll purchase the grader notes just to make sure there aren't any hidden surprises.

In addition, I always recommend checking the seller's feedback, not just for negatives, but for how they respond to adverse situations. If they have a condescending attitude toward other buyers, you guessed it...I move on. And don't let the idea that "if you pass on the book you'll never see another copy" bother you. IMO, it's better to do without than to spend your hard-earned money on something you're not really happy with...   :foryou:

3 hours ago, dylanthekid said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

^^

This is it in a nutshell as the seller clearly knew what he was doing and did it with full intent and is now trying to rationalize it with his own definition of restoration.  (tsk)

Interesting to note that in both auction listing under the Condition portion, it talks only about the condition of the case and doesn't mention a single word to do with the condition of the underlying book itself.  Is the seller trying to sell a CGC case holder and its condition takes precedence over the comic book itself?  :screwy:

What is your definition of restoration?

Do you believe people should make up their own opinions in life or should we copy whatever someone else says to the tee? I think they call it being a slave, Pink Floyd would probably call them Sheep.

To be perfectly fair in my defense I NEVER put ANYTHING in the condition portion other than the condition of the case which is from my template.

If I am selling a CGC certified book, it really doesn't matter what my or your individual definition of restoration is, since the only definition that matters in that particular situation is the CGC definition of restoration.  :gossip:

Since you do not want to be a slave to someone else's opinions, then should you not be specifying your evaluation as to the actual condition of the book in the Condition portion of your auction listing?  Especially since you would not want to be a slave to what someone else such as CGC might say with respect to their irrelevant opinion of the book's condition and resulting grade.  hm

3 hours ago, PleaseDontTouch said:
3 hours ago, dylanthekid said:

^^^^^^

You're cheering a post that disproves your theory and shows you're in the wrong? Ok (shrug)

Yes, especially since this only applies in the case of GA books and as far as I am aware, the Amazing Spidey run of books are not considered to be GA books the last time I checked.  (thumbsu