• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, especially since this only applies in the case of GA books and as far as I am aware, the Amazing Spidey run of books are not considered to be GA books the last time I checked.  (thumbsu

It does not specify that it only applies to GA books in the FAQ.  It just says at CGC's sole discretion.  It also says that trimming will always be given a restored label.

5 hours ago, telerites said:

Dylan, 

Actually they have been here on the boards and I remember in some cases where the auction house either removed the book or at least notated the label error in the description.  

Yup, HA notes it all the time

I just check on their recent auctions and there's an example for all of it:

Small colour touch on GA book with blue label

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sub-mariner-comics-17-timely-1945-cgc-vf-75-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/7234-74005.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Small colour touch on GA book with purple label

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/plastic-man-51-quality-1955-cgc-apparent-vf-80-slight-c-1-white-pages/p/122031-35013.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

And just to cover all bases, small amount of colour touch along with trimming and reinforcement on CBCS book

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/world-s-finest-comics-66-dc-1953-cbcs-restored-fn-60-slight-moderate-off-white-to-white-pages/p/122031-53022.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

All written in the book description. So the comparison with HA is ....

Impeachment Baloney GIF by GIPHY News

36 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

CGC did this not me, whether you agree with the resto being additive or not. Me and one other guy in the world can speak better to that better than anyone including CGC because we opened up the comics at the staples to remove some resto and see if it should be, nobody else has opened them.

Can you explain this more clearly? Did you disassemble the book and remove some resto?  ???

54 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

But on a comic book only objective level why 1955 comics but not 1956? Clearly this has nothing to do with comic books only money.

Umm... no :censored:?

Label foul up or not.  CGC was paid to assess the book for grade and restoration.  They gave both assessments.  Whether you agree with what “restoration” is or is not, is irrelevant.  The label says some restoration has been done.  End of story.

@The Lions Den I was wondering how many comics like this may be out there. Assuming there wasn't a frenzy of malevolant individuals who took advantage of the blue character label mix up to slab restored books, how many times do you think such a mix up happened? From your experience, what percentage of SA books sent in for grading get a restored grade? And what do you imagine would be the volume of SA Marvel books sent in during the time this mix up was happening?

2 hours ago, dylanthekid said:

Why is it only Golden Age Books? What is the difference between 1955 and 1956? This is age discrimination I tell you. What's next, classifying people by the color of their skin?!

FRIDAY THREAD, FRIDAY THREAD!!! :banana:

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Can you explain this more clearly? Did you disassemble the book and remove some resto?  ???

I’d have to think so Christopher because he mentions also on page three of this very thread.  

“I and another party handled each of the books disassembled-CGC did not.”