• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Dylan,

Here is what you should do and frankly you have the choice to do it.

You should contact each of the buyers of those restored books and buy them back.

I don't care if CGC/They as you call them made a mistake.  CGC may grade the books but as I've told them in the past we are the ones who sell them.  And if they made a mistake you don't need to get one over on them or the person you are selling the book to.    

Whether you like it or not CGC can make you a lot of money and frankly this could have been prevented had you questioned the labels on these books.  And don't tell me for a minute that you thought these were Universal blue label books.  If you feel that the buyers can read I would wonder how you would be talking to me if you showed me these books at a show.  

You may whine,  you may look at your bank account and say CGC should pay for their mistakes and I'm sure they will.  But don't think for a minute that you are off the hook.  Because frankly the way you chose to go will affect you a lot longer then this one transaction.  If you think that just the posters are questioning your honesty there are 10+ others reading your comments and will never do business with you ever. 

But again,  your choice.     

This.

Dylan.  Reputation means a lot.  The longer this thread goes on the more your reputation takes a hit.  

As I posted earlier, there needed to be some type of heads up to the buyer that restoration was involved, as @Buzzetta also suggests.  Despite the blue label.  Not depending on a tiny font comment on an undersized photo (less than 1 megapixel) to be noticed by the buyer.  That didn't happen, because it would hurt the sale. 

If you have pertinent info, you morally should make it evident.  The buyer can't pick up the item and look at it closely, like you could in a comic shop.  You have to treat the buyer like you would like to be treated. 

Stuff like this gives eBay a bad name, and hurts all who sell there.

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

No, I truly believe it was a mistake on their part on this one. 

If this was the first time it happened I would agree. But these books were graded this month and the issue has been going on since character labels were introduced. Brittany's post about the problem was from last year - surely they could change their system if they wanted to but so far they haven't. 

Can I postulate a theory? 

these 4 ASM slabs tell a little story in their timing. 

ASM3 was graded back in January. And came back to him with the blue label (despite being a qualified grade). I think think gave him the idea to submit his other "non-blue" ASMs. Cause the other three books that were on ebay all were graded 7 months later on July 10. 

I wonder what other books he submitted as part of the July grading, knowing he'd found a blue label loophole. 

The two rounds of submissions could point to even more intent. 

9 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Can I postulate a theory? 

these 4 ASM slabs tell a little story in their timing. 

ASM3 was graded back in January. And came back to him with the blue label (despite being a qualified grade). I think think gave him the idea to submit his other "non-blue" ASMs. Cause the other three books that were on ebay all were graded 7 months later on July 10. 

I wonder what other books he submitted as part of the July grading, knowing he'd found a blue label loophole. 

The two rounds of submissions could point to even more intent. 

mm, wouldn't you just go to the cert verification and run through the series of 233133500?

I did a few. 

002 is ASM #3 3.0 (Label Text - Smamll amount of dried glue on spine of cover.) Yes, the spelling error is CGC's.  Universal

005 ASM 7 6.0 Label Text - TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED. Apparent

006 ASM 9 8.5 Label Text - Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED. C-1

007 ASM 14 7.0 Label Text Restoration includes: small amount of glue on cover. C-1

28 minutes ago, telerites said:

mm, wouldn't you just go to the cert verification and run through the series of 233133500?

I did a few. 

002 is ASM #3 3.0 (Label Text - Smamll amount of dried glue on spine of cover.) Yes, the spelling error is CGC's.  Universal

005 ASM 7 6.0 Label Text - TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED. Apparent

006 ASM 9 8.5 Label Text - Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED. C-1

007 ASM 14 7.0 Label Text Restoration includes: small amount of glue on cover. C-1

other ones in the same "group: 

004 is ASM4 Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED.

that one hasnt popped up for sale yet... 

19 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

other ones in the same "group: 

004 is ASM4 Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED.

that one hasnt popped up for sale yet... 

I did not run through all cert. #s associated with that submission 

Edited by telerites

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

And to @Bird, Dylan is another Long Island guy,

yeah. I recalled that once you said so. He frequents the shows in NJ run by boardie JP and I have seen him literally running through the show in the past, which is when some dealers I know started talking about him and he came on my radar then.

30 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

@BirdDylan is another Long Island guy, because I only go to NYCC, I shot an email of this thread out to a few guys and a text message to one guy I knew was up... two have responded.  None of us have ever seen or heard of Dylan or his comics.  

He sets up at the MA/NH area shows. He sells books in my interest wheelhouse so I certainly check out his booths when I see them. Obviously this thread has been a bummer. I can't see myself buying raw books from him, at the very least, since his opinion on restoration appears to be, um, misaligned from generally accepted industry standards. 

I wonder if he sets up at any of the CT shows. I wouldn't know what he looks like

10 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

This is disgusting.  I hope CGC does the right thing with a dealer clearly gaming the system and notice how every book that has an issue has the character labels but the regular books that don't have issues just straight universal

Well, this also reminds us of the old axiom that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".  (thumbsu

I hope CGC does the right thing by tightening up on their quality control when it comes to their labelling issues as this seems to have been an ongoing problem with them ever since they introduce these new character labels.  :facepalm:

13 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Will he buy all our trimmed purple labels?  He could always crack them out and make a fortune, seeing as trimming isn’t resto.  

“Mylars have no cracks or scratches”

Jim

"Mylars have no cracks or scratches"

What a great custom title