• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Which I’ve been thinking about.  What’s the criteria?

I think it's the type of book you sell and how often you sell it. They are a price guide, so they'll need all the info they can get on rarer items to establish a price. Dylan sells rare GA and "higher grade" silver age books so that would be enough for Overstreet to find it beneficial to know what he sells those books at.

12 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I noticed GPA has assigned the ASM 9 & ASM 14 sales under "Purple C-1" headings and not "Blue".

Sorry for the bad photos but here's the GPA listings.  I checked the CGC serial numbers just to make sure.

Also sorry if this has already been posted (I didn't read every post in this thread)

IMG_2297 (1).jpg

IMG_2298 (1).jpg

Makes sense, the GPA took the label number and since that was associated with a restored book, it was put in the right place on the GPA. BUT this is actually a really bad case scenario since it means that now the average price of restored books have now gone super high. The GPA, for these instances, does not reflect the market value of the book, which defeats the purpose of what its all about.

11 hours ago, Flanders82 said:

Anyone else get the feeling that CGC just said the hell with it,  we really want that extra $5 for each custom label?  That seems to be their business motto from my perspective with the denial that newton rings should be addressed, the creep engine, puddling, overgrading and now this.  They've had several months to remedy this problem but don't appear to have done so. 

What I don't get is why CGC didn't just add the custom labels for green and purple too. They would keep their 5$ and not have to worry about something like this happening.

11 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

As I posted earlier, there needed to be some type of heads up to the buyer that restoration was involved, as @Buzzetta also suggests.  Despite the blue label.  Not depending on a tiny font comment on an undersized photo (less than 1 megapixel) to be noticed by the buyer.  That didn't happen, because it would hurt the sale. 

If you have pertinent info, you morally should make it evident.  The buyer can't pick up the item and look at it closely, like you could in a comic shop.  You have to treat the buyer like you would like to be treated. 

Stuff like this gives eBay a bad name, and hurts all who sell there.

I stopped shopping on e-bay after being burnt too many times. Seeing stuff like this tells me I am not missing out at all.

3 hours ago, telerites said:

mm, wouldn't you just go to the cert verification and run through the series of 233133500?

I did a few. 

002 is ASM #3 3.0 (Label Text - Smamll amount of dried glue on spine of cover.) Yes, the spelling error is CGC's.  Universal

005 ASM 7 6.0 Label Text - TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED. Apparent

006 ASM 9 8.5 Label Text - Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED. C-1

007 ASM 14 7.0 Label Text Restoration includes: small amount of glue on cover. C-1

@The Lions Den man, this is what we feared. Someone did take advantage of this loophole. 

6 minutes ago, joeypost said:

From his own webpage.

5. Include Detailed Descriptions

It’s important that you accurately and extensively describe the condition and contents of the comic book product.

Many buyers are quite sure exactly what they’re looking for. By providing detailed information about the comic book, you make it easier for buyers to find you.

Some online sites require a maximum number of words or characters. If this is the case, you need to make use of the space by only including essential information. This should usually include the title, the issue number, the volume number, and the publisher, as well as, the general story.

Remember to make sure everything is spelled correctly. After all, buyers will be using a search engine. If you make a spelling mistake, the search engine

This would be like me posting "Here is some advice I'm not using myself"

36 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

@The Lions Den man, this is what we feared. Someone did take advantage of this loophole. 

It may have been brought up earlier so apologies if so.  Do note that the ASM 14 that sold (linked in the first post)  is a C-1 so is this a loophole or just and mislabel as CGC has in their cert database that it is conserved (and should be in a conserved label not a universal).

I am not sure if that one is in the loophole you refer to.

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

It may have been brought up earlier so apologies if so.  Do note that the ASM 14 that sold (linked in the first post)  is a C-1 so is this a loophole or just and mislabel as CGC has in their cert database that it is conserved (and should be in a conserved label not a universal).

I am not sure if that one is in the loophole you refer to.

It is. The loophole is that books that wouldn't get a blue label are getting a blue label. So it could be conserved, restored or qualified and still get blue due to asking for a custom label that only comes with blue and yellow labels. Now it seems that this particular seller noticed that and sent in all their books that wouldn't get a blue label otherwise with the intent of selling them with minimal information on e-bay, hoping to get the price a blue label would get (which is what happened).

8 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It is. The loophole is that books that wouldn't get a blue label are getting a blue label. So it could be conserved, restored or qualified and still get blue due to asking for a custom label that only comes with blue and yellow labels. Now it seems that this particular seller noticed that and sent in all their books that wouldn't get a blue label otherwise with the intent of selling them with minimal information on e-bay, hoping to get the price a blue label would get (which is what happened).

But was it just for this submission or are there other examples of other submitters that were graded during the same time frame and received universals when they shouldn't have?

If it was more universal in scope, do we have examples of other submissions of his to show that he may have been taking advantage of CGC's label conundrum?

I obviously do not agree with the seller's ethics in these sales and if he did knowingly submit books to use this loophole, it would be even worse.

I probably missed it so if you can show me where other submissions during this time period received universals when they shouldn't have I would like to know to keep my eyes open for other books graded around that same time.

5 minutes ago, telerites said:

But was it just for this submission or are there other examples of other submitters that were graded during the same time frame and received universals when they shouldn't have?

If it was more universal in scope, do we have examples of other submissions of his to show that he may have been taking advantage of CGC's label conundrum?

I obviously do not agree with the seller's ethics in these sales and if he did knowingly submit books to use this loophole, it would be even worse.

I probably missed it so if you can show me where other submissions during this time period received universals when they shouldn't have I would like to know to keep my eyes open for other books graded around that same time.

Earlier in this thread, there is a link to a thread that was started in July of 2019.  That is when the problem was first recognized.  Then Brittany confirmed that CGC was aware of the problem in that same thread, but not until November of 2019.  And here we are today, same problem. 

I would suggest keeping your eyes open for ANY comments on a Blue Label book, no matter when or why.  Another trap to avoid.

image.gif.07bf144e38102714d9a93e1544cdb366.gif

5 minutes ago, telerites said:

Firstly, yes there are many other books like this that came up. Here is the thread where this was discussed and where CGC chimed in to let us know there was a mistake: 

Now as to this speciic individual taking advantage of this, below are quotes found in this thread which shows that the person participated in at lest 2 rounds of submissions using these labels and that in the second round, all that was sent were books that got a qualified or restored grade but ended up with this blue custom label, which lends heavily to the idea that they knew exactly what they were doing and abusing of a loophole.

5 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Can I postulate a theory? 

these 4 ASM slabs tell a little story in their timing. 

ASM3 was graded back in January. And came back to him with the blue label (despite being a qualified grade). I think think gave him the idea to submit his other "non-blue" ASMs. Cause the other three books that were on ebay all were graded 7 months later on July 10. 

I wonder what other books he submitted as part of the July grading, knowing he'd found a blue label loophole. 

The two rounds of submissions could point to even more intent. 

4 hours ago, telerites said:

mm, wouldn't you just go to the cert verification and run through the series of 233133500?

I did a few. 

002 is ASM #3 3.0 (Label Text - Smamll amount of dried glue on spine of cover.) Yes, the spelling error is CGC's.  Universal

005 ASM 7 6.0 Label Text - TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED. Apparent

006 ASM 9 8.5 Label Text - Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED. C-1

007 ASM 14 7.0 Label Text Restoration includes: small amount of glue on cover. C-1

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

other ones in the same "group: 

004 is ASM4 Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED.

that one hasnt popped up for sale yet... 

7 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Doing some more checking on the Qualified "Universal Grade" ASM #3 3.5 graded January 27th/20 (serial # 2092994002)

So it was sold for $1325 on May 24th and then was sold again on June 14th for $1350.  In the second auction he adds in the description "Auction relisted because SSANTIQUES did not pay...add him to your block list"

I would pay money to find out why SSAntiques didn't pay? hm

Oh THAT he chooses to write in the descritpion.

Some online sites require a maximum number of words or characters. If this is the case, you need to make use of the space by only including essential information. This should usually include the title, the issue number, the volume number, and the publisher, as well as, the general story.

Oh, that's why "OW-W Marvel 1964" was added to the listing title instead of "trimmed".

On 7/27/2020 at 8:11 AM, Keys_Collector said:

Dylan seems like a nice enough person but I would say that he seems to lack a bit of emotional maturity especially in his on line dealings.  I have interacted with him once at a show and he was a pleasure to deal with.  He definitely should explain himself here but I'm going to assume that he's going to say that the pictures clearly showed the labels.

@Buzzetta an earlier post in this thread from me mentioning I ran into him and bought from him before at a local show (Bethpage or Melville)

I called it earlier when I mentioned his "emotional maturity especially in his on line dealings" and saw this coming from a mile away.

This is the same kid who posted a video of himself reading an AF15 on the toilet.  :eyeroll:

Now is his opportunity to make things right and try to take steps towards fixing his reputation or he can choose to be stubborn and ignore everyone's input.  He probably hasn't faced many of these moments because he was a kid allowed to have a comic business at a young age.  About time to grow up, face the music and gain some insight and maturity in situations like these.  Good luck @dylanthekid.

4 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Doing some more checking on the Qualified "Universal Grade" ASM #3 3.5 graded January 27th/20 (serial # 2092994002)

So it was sold for $1325 on May 24th and then was sold again on June 14th for $1350.  In the second auction he adds in the description "Auction relisted because SSANTIQUES did not pay...add him to your block list"

I would pay money to find out why SSAntiques didn't pay? hm

Feedback for "ssantiques"

SSAntiques had done business with them at least fifteen times prior to the three books which they did not pay.   Your question is a very good one. 

EDIT: Um... how much money would you be willing to pay?  ...asking for a friend. 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Wondering how much longer he will stay an overstretch advisor, once they catch wind of his level of comic knowledge. 

I am also trying to wrap my head around who even went to bat for him in the first place. 

This thread makes we wonder how low the bar is to even become an Overstreet advisor.