• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

Not intent in defending him.  I just see a young guy who from my convos seems to have his heart in the right place.  He should have noted resto, and didn’t.  He came in swinging and got the Medicine.  At this point we either bury the body or find a “different” option.  I guess the Dad in me comes out in these situations and I’m always looking for a hard lesson learned.  Of course the hole digging would have to end😆

He's still reading the thread. I noticed he reacted to your earlier post with a thank you. 

I saw the original posts to be about the restoration. It then grew, through his responses, into his constant desire to deflect blame onto others. To me, it grew into a deeper conversation about the trust between buyers and sellers. I felt he moved the goal posts on this topic - and it ended up in a place he was comfortable with. He could share all those bits in a reply without all the other blaming - and that would be a proper apology.

49 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Should have just said, "I presented the books as I saw CGC grade them. Looking back, it feels wrong and deceptive and I should've disclosed the restoration (here purposefully neglecting to mention he doesn't feel it is restoration). Going forward, I will present books in the light that the buyers who buy them will discover anyway. I strive for honesty and transparency and promise to use better judgment from here forward."

Personally, I think you get a good rep by slamming your own books. Don't undergrade, but say what you see wrong, and price them for what you would like. It's better to get the price you want for the item you know you are selling and the buyer knows they are buying than to have people believe they are getting something better. A little pleasant surprise now and then on the part of the buyer drives more business, not less.

How many dealers can you think of that make their reputation on tight grading? And how many on overgrading?

Overgrade?lol Dylan the Overstreet advisor is selling this as a 8.0:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Giggle-Comics-3-CRESTON-1943-8-0/224095184322?hash=item342d1d25c2:g:G3wAAOSwJFZfH71Z

yikes.jpg.95b8d33d3ad76b1930275aeef77fceee.jpg

It's 8.0 if you don't count most of the defects, like tears, dirt, and mold.  And check out the MANY photos (2).  And hi res photos (791px × 1,024px, less than 1MP).  Look over those tiny photos carefully, as they are 95% of the description.

Edited by Lightning55

I looked up his Overstreet Market Report from this past issue. "Last year, I briefly wrote on the continued collector demand for comics, and how Amazing Spider-Man 300 'will either lose value or rise more in value' (quote taken from my report last year). Well, my prediction was 100% correct." His contribution was saying it is unlikely the value of a perennial blue chip comic will remain stagnant (including going down, which it did not)? 

3 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I looked up his Overstreet Market Report from this past issue. "Last year, I briefly wrote on the continued collector demand for comics, and how Amazing Spider-Man 300 'will either lose value or rise more in value' (quote taken from my report last year). Well, my prediction was 100% correct." His contribution was saying it is unlikely the value of a perennial blue chip comic will remain stagnant (including going down, which it did not)? 

I predict Dylan will either return and post an "apology" that is not later deleted...or he won't.

25 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

So, “a commodity will either go up or down in price” is advisor level advice?

Starting to figure out where Overstreet’s bar is...

1 hour ago, 427Impaler said:

Find someone else to correct sir, he said he apologized for not noting the restoration in the description.  Why don’t you ask him if he would do it differently in the future?  I’m guessing yes.

He might do it differently in the future because of the fallout related to his dishonest behavior.  I want to deal with people who're honest when nobody is watching.  

37 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

It's 8.0 if you don't count most of the defects, like tears, dirt, and mold.  And check out the MANY photos (2).  And hi res photos (791px × 1,024px, less than 1MP).  Look over those tiny photos carefully, as they are 95% of the description.

I remember a story shared by a boardie where someone tried to sell a coverless book here as NM. Their argument was it would be NM if it had the cover. 

47 minutes ago, vheflin said:

Overstreet advisor.  Whiz kid comic dealer.  Millions in sales.   8.0?  Why not?

44 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

If you look at the first 200 feedback he has 3 complaints about over-grading.  A huge pass.

3 hours ago, vheflin said:

848187878_PrettyComic(2).gif.88b94e6e2e2bbcc5ff6a4885ab239532.gif