• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PleaseDontTouch said:
2 hours ago, Brittany M. said:

We have been informed by Dylan that he has already taken steps to reach out to his purchasers to reverse the transactions so that the books can be re-submitted to CGC for necessary correction and re-holder. We want to thank Dylan for his cooperation in this regard, and seeing to it that, for the integrity of the hobby, books are properly labeled. 

All out of the goodness of his heart :eyeroll:

The same goodness of heart that did his best to sell restored books as unrestored,  spewed bullspuds in this thread and hid his posts for a clearer narrative lol 

I still have concerns about the fact that there were 6 "Dylan"  books that went thru this loophole. First one (graded in January), and then once the loophole was discovered, 5 more books were sent (in June) of which 4 of them went to ebay for sale.

It seems there was intent here. 

Edited by miraclemet

3 hours ago, Brittany M. said:

We have been informed by Dylan that he has already taken steps to reach out to his purchasers to reverse the transactions so that the books can be re-submitted to CGC for necessary correction and re-holder. We want to thank Dylan for his cooperation in this regard, and seeing to it that, for the integrity of the hobby, books are properly labeled. 

Does CGC know if any additional restored books were also given blue labels?

11 hours ago, Brittany M. said:

All four of these books contained restoration work of one kind or another, which was ultimately denoted on the CGC label.  However, due to an internal mechanical error, the books were all encapsulated with CGC’s blue custom Universal Label instead of the purple Restored Label. 

We are taking steps to correct the internal programming error that is causing this type of mistake. 

We apologize for the error and for the inconvenience it caused. 

But it wasnt 4 books. There were 4 from that submission that was graded in June/July. BUT also there was the book graded in January (an ASM 3)

So that's 5 books (not 4) that he sent thru the loophole for grading, 4 of which he has sold.

Edited by miraclemet
corrected 6 to 5

3 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

But it wasnt 4 books. There were 5 from that submission that was graded in June/July. Also there was the book graded in January (an ASM 3)

So that's 6 books (not 4) that he sent thru the loophole for grading, 5 of which he has sold.

But they weren’t restored, they were aesthetically improved in a non-restorative manner without enhancing the grade.  

What color label does that get?  Magenta?  Maybe cyan?

11 hours ago, Brittany M. said:

All four of these books contained restoration work of one kind or another, which was ultimately denoted on the CGC label.  However, due to an internal mechanical error, the books were all encapsulated with CGC’s blue custom Universal Label instead of the purple Restored Label. 

We are taking steps to correct the internal programming error that is causing this type of mistake. 

We apologize for the error and for the inconvenience it caused. 

2331335003 ASM 4 graded on 7/10/2020 Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED. (Has not been sold on ebay as far as we know)

2331335005 ASM7 graded on 7/10/2020 TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED.

2331335006   ASM9 graded on 7/10/2020 Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED.

2331335007 ASM14 graded on 7/10/2020 Restoration includes: small amount of glue on cover.

2092994002 ASM3 graded on 1/27/2020 QUALIFIED GRADE: PAGE 12 MISSING DOES NOT AFFECT STORY. Piece re-attached to cover with tape. INCOMPLETE

which he also sold on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-3-CGC-3-5-OW-1st-Doctor-Octopus-Marvel-1963-12c-/224035866870?hash=item34299408f6%3Ag%3AAPMAAOSw-2levhJB&nma=true&si=Y%2BGRlRqF1JKN728yFSqlLQFj5N0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

thats 5 books, not 4.

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

It seems there was intent here. 

I think that's a given, judging by his responses, deflections, and sanitizing the thread. 

The real question is, how many are out there?!?  Could be a crazy number, now sitting in people's collections, like ticking time bombs. 

How many do you think got returned for Re-holders?  Zero probably.  How many people are even aware?  Mostly just the ones on these boards.  Heck, we might not even yet be aware if wasn't for the OP catching it. 

And we have only Dylan's word that he is "trying" to get them back.  How much effort do you think he would put into that?  Sounds like a logistical nightmare.  How do you approach the new owners, who might have no idea there is even a problem?  Likely to just leave that alone, say it was "in progress".

No way to document it, unless we actually saw them leave the registry.  And would they, or just get a new label and holder?  Who's going to follow up?  This is a genuine rabbit hole.

3 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I think the biggest issue I have is how he acted.  This thread would’ve been cold pages ago had he not come in here guns blazing.  As we all know, there are plenty of people to buy books from.  A lot of the good ones sell here regularly.  Not that he cares of course, but I won’t ever buy anything from him.  

It was also how he spewed total nonsense, like not admitting that the CGC label was wrong and saying that trimming shouldn't get purple label. The denial was on a scale hitherto undreamt of. That made him look like someone who had no clue what they were talking about and who had no business buying and selling these "cool" books. 

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Does CGC know if any additional restored books were also given blue labels?

Yes, this issue has been reported to them since last year. And it seems at least Dylan got wind of it and abused of this loophole (since all the books he sent in a row should not have gotten a blue label but did). So that means there is a potential that others figured this out too. We don't know how many there are out there, but we know there are more than just the ones discussed here. 

40 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

But it wasnt 4 books. There were 4 from that submission that was graded in June/July. BUT also there was the book graded in January (an ASM 3)

So that's 5 books (not 4) that he sent thru the loophole for grading, 4 of which he has sold.

Also that's 5 books that we know of. We have no clue if he sent more.

15 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Yes, this issue has been reported to them since last year. And it seems at least Dylan got wind of it and abused of this loophole (since all the books he sent in a row should not have gotten a blue label but did). So that means there is a potential that others figured this out too. We don't know how many there are out there, but we know there are more than just the ones discussed here. 

Did these books get sent in after CGC was made aware of the issue? I'm really hoping that is not the case. 

6 minutes ago, wombat said:

Did these books get sent in after CGC was made aware of the issue? I'm really hoping that is not the case. 

Definitely the case.  The problem was reported in July of last year.  CGC confirmed it to exist in November (see earlier thread reference, somewhere back there).  This is Round 2 of the saga.  The books in question are recently graded.

Edited by Lightning55

2 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Definitely the case.  The problem was reported in July of last year.  CGC confirmed it to exist in November (see earlier thread reference, somewhere back there).  This is Round 2 of the saga.  The books in question are recently graded.

That is highly disappointing. I can't even fathom the thought process from CGC on this. 

It's probably NOT a thought process, but an organizational problem.  Books were slated for custom labels, found to be Restored, didn't get re-assigned to Purple.  It threw off the normal system.

It needs to be like a "manufacturer's recall", but that might prove to be difficult to impossible.

Edited by Lightning55

31 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

Can we nominate eBay sellers for PL/HOS? 

Yes - 

d) A Transaction between board members is not confined to the CGC Message Boards. Any transaction between forum members, regardless of the venue, is eligible for inclusion in the PL.

BUT, the accuser must be a board member who entered into a agreement/transaction.  Not sure anyone here has stepped up as a direct party in this discussion.

HOS nomination is subject to all of the PL rules plus:

b) The Hall Of Shame is for serious transgressions. For example, selling a book/books and sending nothing of value in the package. Interfering with someone's business. Being a multiple offender.

That is the way I read the rules.

For me there are several sad take-aways.  

Perhaps, the most glaring is that without the fervor generated by this thread, it would be business as usual for the seller (and it took 46 pages of comments with CGC communications) to sway the seller to do the ethical thing. 

And this comment may be stricken by the mods but if not for CGC's error, this would not have happened.  It does not give credence to a seller taking advantage of the situation but I wish CGC had stepped in earlier and by earlier, I do not mean earlier in this thread.

I do hope the books are returned and reholdered instead of festering under a mislabel for the potential of future duplicitous sales.

And I always fall on the side of the adage, previous experience predicts future behavior so at least for me, it will take some time, if ever, for me to feel comfortable buying from the seller again.