• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Moving forward from this particular seller....

I’d like to know how many restored books are currently sitting in slabs with custom blue labels.  Are there a dozen? 50?  How many errors has CGC made since the introduction of these fancy new labels?

It should be easy. The question is does the submission data base have the "Character Label" designation listed, and if so they'd just need to look up any submissions for Character Labels that resulted in qualified or restored results. 

And we've now found an Avengers label with the same problem, so it wasnt limited to the Spiderman submissions.... 

12 hours ago, miraclemet said:

2331335003 ASM 4 graded on 7/10/2020 Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED. (Has not been sold on ebay as far as we know)

2331335005 ASM7 graded on 7/10/2020 TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED.

2331335006   ASM9 graded on 7/10/2020 Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED.

2331335007 ASM14 graded on 7/10/2020 Restoration includes: small amount of glue on cover.

2092994002 ASM3 graded on 1/27/2020 QUALIFIED GRADE: PAGE 12 MISSING DOES NOT AFFECT STORY. Piece re-attached to cover with tape. INCOMPLETE

which he also sold on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-3-CGC-3-5-OW-1st-Doctor-Octopus-Marvel-1963-12c-/224035866870?hash=item34299408f6%3Ag%3AAPMAAOSw-2levhJB&nma=true&si=Y%2BGRlRqF1JKN728yFSqlLQFj5N0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

thats 5 books, not 4.

I think this is the important timeline that is being overlooked by a few people.   What is the turnaround time on pressing and grading?  Did the first mislabeling lead to more restored books being submitted under Spider-man labels in an effort to put them in 'blue' label holders?  That is the question that needs to be explored. 

17 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

So I was just looking at unread content on the message boards and see this.

Not a good sign that a representative responding is asking for examples.  If that is the case, then is CGC as in everyone working for the customer responding to issues aware?  I think not.

Anyone have restored books they'd like to send in to see if CGC catches it?

4 hours ago, telerites said:

For me there are several sad take-aways.  

Perhaps, the most glaring is that without the fervor generated by this thread, it would be business as usual for the seller (and it took 46 pages of comments with CGC communications) to sway the seller to do the ethical thing. 

And this comment may be stricken by the mods but if not for CGC's error, this would not have happened.  It does not give credence to a seller taking advantage of the situation but I wish CGC had stepped in earlier and by earlier, I do not mean earlier in this thread.

I do hope the books are returned and reholdered instead of festering under a mislabel for the potential of future duplicitous sales.

And I always fall on the side of the adage, previous experience predicts future behavior so at least for me, it will take some time, if ever, for me to feel comfortable buying from the seller again.

I am surprised you'd ever buy from that seller again. I simply won't. It's not like the books he sells are rare. You can buy the same stuff at the same prices at any Comic Link auction.

Also, we don't know if he did the ethical thing. He just says he did and from what we have all seen, this guy lies, so I would take nothing as a given here.

30 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

It should be easy. The question is does the submission data base have the "Character Label" designation listed, and if so they'd just need to look up any submissions for Character Labels that resulted in qualified or restored results. 

And we've now found an Avengers label with the same problem, so it wasnt limited to the Spiderman submissions.... 

The submission data does but not the grading data, two different departments (hence the mix up) so there might not be a way to link the two. The labels do not appear in the certification data you get when searching for serial numbers, so it might be a blind spot.

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I think this is the important timeline that is being overlooked by a few people.   What is the turnaround time on pressing and grading?  Did the first mislabeling lead to more restored books being submitted under Spider-man labels in an effort to put them in 'blue' label holders?  That is the question that needs to be explored. 

As stated above, it was all new custom labels, not just spider-man. The reason we see a lot of spider-man is because thats a character that will have many more SA books graded and thus more chances of restoration found on the books. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I think the timeline is what would push this fiasco into HoS nomination territory.  Had Dylan just sold a few of these mislabels as is and they were all from the same submission, you could make the argument that he technically did provide all necessary information as the photos, though lousy for phone viewing, do show blue labels with restoration notes.  

But with that mis-labeled Q book slipping through for him in January and subsequently fetching roughly blue label market rate on eBay, I think the scheme to defraud was afoot from there.  

However, it doesn't seem like we have anyone involved who fits this part of the nomination rules -- "BUT, the accuser must be a board member who entered into a agreement/transaction."

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

I think the timeline is what would push this fiasco into HoS nomination territory.  Had Dylan just sold a few of these mislabels as is and they were all from the same submission, you could make the argument that he technically did provide all necessary information as the photos, though lousy for phone viewing, do show blue labels with restoration notes.  

But with that mis-labeled Q book slipping through for him in January and subsequently fetching roughly blue label market rate on eBay, I think the scheme to defraud was afoot from there.  

However, it doesn't seem like we have anyone involved who fits this part of the nomination rules -- "BUT, the accuser must be a board member who entered into a agreement/transaction."

Like I told him...

There is absolutely nothing that he sells that anyone cannot find in the same grade or better at a comparable price somewhere else.

I am not one that would be considered part of the cancel culture.  What solidified my lack of desire to ever do business with him in any capacity, was the way he handled himself here and the responses he made that he subsequently deleted.  I’m glad I quoted him on one of the more important ones. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Like I told him...

There is absolutely nothing that he sells that anyone cannot find in the same grade or better at a comparable price somewhere else.

I am not one that would be considered part of the cancel culture.  What solidified my lack of desire to ever do business with him in any capacity, was the way he handled himself here and the responses he made that he subsequently deleted.  I’m glad I quoted him on one of the more important ones. 

And I've got 8 screen shots saved, including his capitulation to Roy's post about how these should all be purples.

42 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

am surprised you'd ever buy from that seller again. I simply won't. It's not like the books he sells are rare. You can buy the same stuff at the same prices at any Comic Link auction.

Also, we don't know if he did the ethical thing. He just says he did and from what we have all seen, this guy lies, so I would take nothing as a given here.

It is unlikely I will ever buy from him again but I dislike casting wrongdoers to the lions and always hope people will change their behavior towards more admiral pursuits. Like I said, past experience predicts future behavior although I still hold out hope.

I think you may have misread my comment about his ethics or perhaps I, yours.  I stated he would have continued his shenanigans if not for the board outcry and eventually CGC communicating with him. It was not intended to mean he was necessarily ethical but the act of reaching out to the buyers and correcting the labeling error was.  He obviously had no desire nor intention of his own volition. 

Before I retired, I dealt with a lot of state politicians and not trying make a political statement but at least dealing with unethical behavior in a hobby is less stressful since I can choose not to buy from spurious sellers.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

I am surprised you'd ever buy from that seller again. I simply won't. It's not like the books he sells are rare. You can buy the same stuff at the same prices at any Comic Link auction.

Even if he did the ethical thing it's important to consider motivation.  He could have done the right thing when he received them from CGC but he didn't.  He attempted to profit from CGC's mistake. 

His promise to contact buyers is an attempt at damage control and has no positive reflection on his morals or honesty. 

I agree with folks that this was a blatant attempt to game the system and the responses were over the top and misguided.  But Dylan is also a college kid.  It doesn't excuse the response or the behavior, and all you can do to send a message is discontinue doing business with him, but eventually he did make the appropriate response.  I think we've all reacted or done something we wish we hadn't especially at a young age. I don't know that continuing this thread and beating this over and over again is the right approach either.  He made a mistake, he's correcting it.  

Just now, PeterPark said:

Has anyone contacted Overstreet?

Think that is uncalled for until the full extent of this situation is known and documented.

6 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Is this the same Dylan that screwed over a bunch of people on the boards (held sales thread, took money, and then ghosted) years ago? I recall posts defending his behavior back then, pointing to his age...

If yes, I’d say that excuse can barely be used once, let alone twice...

Tell us more???