• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Don’t forget that trimming is not restoration because restoration is when you add stuff to the book, not take away, you can’t have both.

That was a doozy.

I am not even so sure about that anymore.. Did you see this mess CGC Graded Universal?20200720_221411.thumb.jpg.188a4e6a3b797b5b067e05bdd5787ff7.jpg

Although they at least note it all on the label even if it is Blue.:facepalm:

2 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I am not even so sure about that anymore.. Did you see this mess CGC Graded Universal?20200720_221411.thumb.jpg.188a4e6a3b797b5b067e05bdd5787ff7.jpg

Although they at least note it all on the label even if it is Blue.:facepalm:

I think the Superman was graded correctly.  Remaindered copies usually get a .5 because the cover is partially there.  This is the same as the Superman book since the image of Superman and the logo is original to the book.  So... is it coverless or can it be considered closer to remaindered?  This one is a flip of a coin decision and not something that you may see ever again. 

I was cool with it in a .5.  It made sense when I thought of it like that. 

35 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I think the Superman was graded correctly.  Remaindered copies usually get a .5 because the cover is partially there.  This is the same as the Superman book since the image of Superman and the logo is original to the book.  So... is it coverless or can it be considered closer to remaindered?  This one is a flip of a coin decision and not something that you may see ever again. 

I was cool with it in a .5.  It made sense when I thought of it like that. 

I get that and i am torn. It is not that I disagree with their assessment.  It still just surprised me being blue label.  It may be remaindered,  but with a reproduction cover with original pieces attached to that reprint and that attached to a coverless and having tape I still am just torn , had this been done to almost any lower value book and it would more than likely been either green or conserved. Don't get me wrong I would still love to have any piece of the original much less a page, cover , coverless,  or this copy which I agree that it definitely is something that may not ever be seen again.

11 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I get that and i am torn. It is not that I disagree with their assessment.  It still just surprised me being blue label.  It may be remaindered,  but with a reproduction cover with original pieces attached to that reprint and that attached to a coverless and having tape I still am just torn , had this been done to almost any lower value book and it would more than likely been either green or conserved. Don't get me wrong I would still love to have any piece of the original much less a page, cover , coverless,  or this copy which I agree that it definitely is something that may not ever be seen again.

Yeah there are many examples of  .5 like this. My confusion is .5 vs. NG for coverless books.  I think for the GLODs and PLODs, there needs to be something else going on to make into one of those labels.

14 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Don’t forget that trimming is not restoration because restoration is when you add stuff to the book, not take away, you can’t have both.

That was a doozy.

Do you really want to send the thread down that road? :popcorn:

Edited by Lazyboy
gfnfdfgnfbndf

9 hours ago, wombat said:

I wonder if CGC is reviewing all of the blue character labels for mention of restoration. I can only assume they have them in some type of database. 

That would be a proactive measure for sure.  They might and probably should be able to do this but I am unsure how they could make a lot remedy on books that they snafued, other than, hopefully tightening QC and training. 

If they could and were willing, CGC send a communication to the original submitter and let them know of their foul-up.  If the submitter still has the book and hopefully wants to have the correct label, send the book(s) back as a mechanical error at no cost (outside of the subber's hassle).  And if they really wanted to go an extra few steps, CGC could offer a free submission for each book returned.  

All this said, they would have to be able to identify the books and willing to invest the resources to pursue it.

It, of course, wouldn't fix the Dylan's of the world who are trying to unethically capitalize on the situation.

Not to defend dylan....  but every time I have dropped more than 800 bucks on a slab I always got the grading notes.  Just because he didn't reiterate the notes doesnt mean he hid them either.  Buyers assume responsibility as well. BUT cgc built their reps on their labels.  Especially yellow, so I put the blame as 50% cgc 25 Dylan and 25 consumer.  But only 2 of them will see 100% of the hurt and its NOT cgc of course.  Dylan for his rep which has cost him more than the loss of those 2 books he would have occurred if he bought them back and the customer for over paying on restored books thinking there not.

Yes I had to add my 2c... lying  in bed with my phone...  got nothing else to do...  COVID has given me a glimpse of retirement.... :devil:

• Administrator

All four of these books contained restoration work of one kind or another, which was ultimately denoted on the CGC label.  However, due to an internal mechanical error, the books were all encapsulated with CGC’s blue custom Universal Label instead of the purple Restored Label. 

We are taking steps to correct the internal programming error that is causing this type of mistake. 

We apologize for the error and for the inconvenience it caused.