• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 CGC Registry Awards
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Lost my Killing Joke top spot this year.  I have the most complete and a lot of unique books in my set, but, someone with a 10.0 comes along and beats me out.  I will get it back next year.  On the upside, my Dr. Fate and Nightforce are still the top sets (even thought they are they only sets in the list).

3 hours ago, aszumilo said:

Lost my Killing Joke top spot this year.  I have the most complete and a lot of unique books in my set, but, someone with a 10.0 comes along and beats me out.  I will get it back next year.  On the upside, my Dr. Fate and Nightforce are still the top sets (even thought they are they only sets in the list).

It definitely gets addicting & competitive. One guy owned the Thor vol 2 set from 2010-2019. I finally passed him up to win it this year. I lost the Dragonball Z set because I didn’t think anyone would get one graded. Well I was wrong and it was my friend from work (Army) that best me this year. Going to try and get it back next year.

After a 4 year streak atop the Space Adventures registry I lost it last year to jjbjheartman and his massive collection. This year I retook the lead from him and he STILL got a dang award so now I still have to stare at his registry with a "20" award, even though it's an overall award for having one of the best overall registries... I do take some pleasure in retaking the lead from him. We'll see if I can defend it again this year. 

SA.JPG.f4fbf47f6e2d102985a2f06fa8c8eeab.JPG

6 hours ago, miraclemet said:

After a 4 year streak atop the Space Adventures registry I lost it last year to jjbjheartman and his massive collection. This year I retook the lead from him and he STILL got a dang award so now I still have to stare at his registry with a "20" award, even though it's an overall award for having one of the best overall registries... I do take some pleasure in retaking the lead from him. We'll see if I can defend it again this year. 

SA.JPG.f4fbf47f6e2d102985a2f06fa8c8eeab.JPG

That competitiveness is what I like about the registry sets. I have also have had the pleasure in meeting awesome folks because of it. Good luck next year brother 

19 hours ago, RayJr said:

Hello everyone, just wanted to know how everyone did with their Registry sets for 2020. I won 23 this year. Two more than last year. Hope everyone has a great rest of your day today.

Congrats on your 23 Ray! As I mostly collect sketch covers with a few here or there of older books just for preserving, I don't exactly have enough books in a set to hope to be #1 with the exception of one series however. 

Scooby Doo has one comic book that made the Recalled List. Despite being an older ad from years gone by, DC accidentally placed a V For Vendetta ad into a kid friendly Scooby Doo Book. The first story was a newer one from the current Scooby artist/writers, and the second story was a reprint from older Scooby series by Joe Staton and Andrew Pepoy. Thanks to facilitators in 2019 I got it remarked and signed by Joe Staton and Andrew Pepoy. Pretty sure this is the only recalled signature series on the census....

2091401244_ScreenShot2020-07-27at3_36_44PM.png.674dc9e8b81fef334559db97d1051d27.png

Unfortunately it dropped from a 9.4 from Garden State Comic Fest 2019 to a 9.2 after Baltimore 2019 but I was expecting it. After grading the first time I could see the stress was pulling the book away from the top staple. Still happy with the solo census though. 

Edited by cgcsketcherz
Spelling error.

2 hours ago, cgcsketcherz said:

Congrats on your 23 Ray! As I mostly collect sketch covers with a few here or there of older books just for preserving, I don't exactly have enough books in a set to hope to be #1 with the exception of one series however. 

Scooby Doo has one comic book that made the Recalled List. Despite being an older ad from years gone by, DC accidentally placed a V For Vendetta ad into a kid friendly Scooby Doo Book. The first story was a newer one from the current Scooby artist/writers, and the second story was a reprint from older Scooby series by Joe Staton and Andrew Pepoy. Thanks to facilitators in 2019 I got it remarked and signed by Joe Staton and Andrew Pepoy. Pretty sure this is the only recalled signature series on the census....

2091401244_ScreenShot2020-07-27at3_36_44PM.png.674dc9e8b81fef334559db97d1051d27.png

Unfortunately it dropped from a 9.4 from Garden State Comic Fest 2019 to a 9.2 after Baltimore 2019 but I was expecting it. After grading the first time I could see the stress was pulling the book away from the top staple. Still happy with the solo census though. 

Thanks brother and congrats on that Scooby set. I do like seeing other people’s collections and what unique stuff they collect. I know you be posting those dope sketches on the 2020 Sketch thread.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:45 PM, RayJr said:

Hello everyone, just wanted to know how everyone did with their Registry sets for 2020. I won 23 this year. Two more than last year. Hope everyone has a great rest of your day today.

None this year, although I'm just getting the ol' registry underway. I aim to have a half dozen or so come 2021.

44 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Kept my number 1 spot on Godziilla and Tales of the Zombie.

It will take a Herculean effort for someone to unseat me 😂 

Glad to hear you kept your top spot my friend 

On 7/26/2020 at 10:53 PM, RayJr said:

It definitely gets addicting & competitive. One guy owned the Thor vol 2 set from 2010-2019. I finally passed him up to win it this year. I lost the Dragonball Z set because I didn’t think anyone would get one graded. Well I was wrong and it was my friend from work (Army) that best me this year. Going to try and get it back next year.

Yeah, that sucks, good luck getting it back.  Had CGC recognized the Newsstand variants of the Killing Joke, i would have kept the top spot.  They told me to write a letter to the graders with the information.  Apparently the grader's did not agree.  They did recognize the BOMC variant though.  So, there is still hope for the Newsstands.