Newsstand editions
1 1

17 posts in this topic

135 posts
Posted (edited)

I have comics like uncanny X-men 169, 152 amongst others. They are newsstand editions? Are they worth more in general direct editions? if so by how much as a rule of thumb. Thanks in advance

Edited by BIZZARRO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
11 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

I have comics like uncanny X-men 169, 152 amongst others. They are newsstand editions? Are they worth more in general direct editions? if so by how much as a rule of thumb. Thanks in advance

Not having any other details from you (raw condition?, CGC grade?), you can only get a vague answer.

This is that vague answer:

direct_newsstand.png

You can check what year your books are from, and you'll see that Newsstand was more common then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134 posts
9 hours ago, valiantman said:

Not having any other details from you (raw condition?, CGC grade?), you can only get a vague answer.

This is that vague answer:

direct_newsstand.png

You can check what year your books are from, and you'll see that Newsstand was more common then.

Not sure I agree with this chart.  I just purchased an X-men #142 from 1981.  Of all the last 45 sales in 9.6 since January 2020, only 6 are newsstand (GoCollect data).  They also definitely sell on the higher end of the $ scale, but nothing dramatic.  Personally I always look for and purchase the newsstand editions exclusively because that's what I had as a kid. The direct editions just look weird to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
3 hours ago, SuperZar said:
12 hours ago, valiantman said:

Not having any other details from you (raw condition?, CGC grade?), you can only get a vague answer.

This is that vague answer:

direct_newsstand.png

You can check what year your books are from, and you'll see that Newsstand was more common then.

Not sure I agree with this chart.  I just purchased an X-men #142 from 1981.  Of all the last 45 sales in 9.6 since January 2020, only 6 are newsstand (GoCollect data).  They also definitely sell on the higher end of the $ scale, but nothing dramatic.  Personally I always look for and purchase the newsstand editions exclusively because that's what I had as a kid. The direct editions just look weird to me.

The chart is a reflection of (generally) how many copies were printed at the time.  The survival rates are different, certainly the high grade survival rates are different, so each book will have its own story in terms of "difficulty" in high grade for newsstand vs. direct edition.  At this point, only a few books are possible to put good numbers toward.  Amazing Spider-Man #300 (1988) is probably the best example, since it's also the comic book with the most copies on the CGC census.

asm300analysis_slabdata.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
3 hours ago, PleaseDontTouch said:
3 hours ago, SuperZar said:

The direct editions just look weird to me.

Better than those butt ugly UPCs :baiting:

Those UPCs make books look like they "belong together".  

6newsstands.png

Direct editions change those boxes so often it looks like only a couple belong together, and the other ones are weirdos. lol

6direct.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134 posts
13 hours ago, valiantman said:

The chart is a reflection of (generally) how many copies were printed at the time.  The survival rates are different, certainly the high grade survival rates are different, so each book will have its own story in terms of "difficulty" in high grade for newsstand vs. direct edition.  At this point, only a few books are possible to put good numbers toward.  Amazing Spider-Man #300 (1988) is probably the best example, since it's also the comic book with the most copies on the CGC census.

 

You make a good point about the survival rates of newsstand vs. direct edition.  When I look at 6.0s of the same copy, it's more like 50-50 of newsstand vs. direct edition.  It would certainly make sense that newsstand copies are more difficult to find in high grade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, SuperZar said:
14 hours ago, valiantman said:

The chart is a reflection of (generally) how many copies were printed at the time.  The survival rates are different, certainly the high grade survival rates are different, so each book will have its own story in terms of "difficulty" in high grade for newsstand vs. direct edition.  At this point, only a few books are possible to put good numbers toward.  Amazing Spider-Man #300 (1988) is probably the best example, since it's also the comic book with the most copies on the CGC census.

 

You make a good point about the survival rates of newsstand vs. direct edition.  When I look at 6.0s of the same copy, it's more like 50-50 of newsstand vs. direct edition.  It would certainly make sense that newsstand copies are more difficult to find in high grade.

We don't have any numbers to use, but doing the math for the early days of the direct editions...

If the early direct editions were 10% of the print run, but 90% of them survived (because they generally went to collectors), and 60% of those survived in pretty high grade...

While newsstand would be 90% of the print run (in this scenario), but only 60% were not returned, and only 10% of those survived in pretty high grade...

Then there would be equal numbers of both (in high grade) today... even though nothing about the direct editions and newsstands was the same.

The math of 10% of 90% of 60% is equal to 90% of 60% of 10%.

We don't know the actual numbers...

But what's available in the market does give us some idea about what's available in the market (since that's what it is), and ultimately that's all the matters if you're buying or selling. :grin:

Edited by valiantman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,158 posts
17 hours ago, PleaseDontTouch said:
17 hours ago, SuperZar said:

The direct editions just look weird to me.

Better than those butt ugly UPCs :baiting:

^^

MAD198.jpg.5a515d0008727f67627a4586b21d9590.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
Just now, PleaseDontTouch said:

Luckily I don't have the OCD that apparently affects an inordinate amount of comic collectors (thumbsu

If you're a comic collector you have an OCD, you just don't know which one it is yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

^^

MAD198.jpg.5a515d0008727f67627a4586b21d9590.jpg

That's still the only ugly UPC I've ever seen, and that's a magazine so you're... :signofftopic:

:slapfight:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
1 minute ago, PleaseDontTouch said:

lol I make OCD collectors cringe whenever possible. If I'm in my LCS and I see/hear one I'll literally roll up my comics and put them in my back pocket as I walk out :ohnoez:

True OCD collectors would actually thank you for that. 

That's fewer high grade comics in existence, and you just increased the value of all the other comics in existence by a couple grains of sand on a 50-mile beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, PleaseDontTouch said:
12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

True OCD collectors would actually thank you for that. 

That's fewer high grade comics in existence, and you just increased the value of all the other comics in existence by a couple grains of sand on a 50-mile beach.

Your point is irrelevant because I don't sell comics. Every comic I buy fits the "fewer high grade...50 mile beach" scenario :bigsmile:

But someday, your comics will be sold (not by you) and the market will be "flooded" with your low grade books, causing not even a ripple in the pond.  We appreciate your destruction of all your comics on our behalf.

Edited by valiantman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
7 minutes ago, PleaseDontTouch said:

Ah, see, I learned something here today. There's more than one type of fake OCD in the comics world :idea: I had no idea. Thanks!

OCD was the earlier part of the conversation.  This is just common sense.  If we both have something that will one day be sold (even over our dead bodies), it is common sense that I should celebrate every single defect and damage you put into yours, since mine will be all-the-more superior in the market.  It is because 99.999% of all copies of Action Comics #1 have been destroyed by someone that the remaining copies are valuable.  The same is true for all other comics, even if they are otherwise worthless.  Near mint worthless is always superior to low grade worthless for the same comic.  Unless you happen to be a creator on these comics and these are your personal copies, you're doing everyone else in this industry a favor.  We appreciate it. :foryou:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
511 posts
17 hours ago, valiantman said:

Those UPCs make books look like they "belong together".  

6newsstands.png

Direct editions change those boxes so often it looks like only a couple belong together, and the other ones are weirdos. lol

6direct.png

I think most of my McFarlane ASM run is direct since some of those had unique box art in the box.  I think 299 and 300 are the ones I have in newsstand.  I will buy the newsies at a non-premium rate but I don't go out of my way for them.  The ones that love newsstands, and bless 'em because there are quite a few, have taught me some stuff about the newsstand model.  I respect their collecting choices because it keeps their attention away from UK price variants and (hopefully) CPVs.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
1 minute ago, mec3437 said:

The ones that love newsstands, and bless 'em because there are quite a few, have taught me some stuff about the newsstand model.  I respect their collecting choices because it keeps their attention away from UK price variants and (hopefully) CPVs.  :)

...or does it?  You think the people that obsess over the small details in otherwise identical books aren't aware of those small UK/CPV details about otherwise identical books? :devil:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
511 posts
6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

...or does it?  You think the people that obsess over the small details in otherwise identical books aren't aware of those small UK/CPV details about otherwise identical books? :devil:

I like to swim in a sea of denial!  xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,776 posts
2 minutes ago, PleaseDontTouch said:
23 minutes ago, valiantman said:

OCD was the earlier part of the conversation.  This is just common sense.  If we both have something that will one day be sold (even over our dead bodies), it is common sense that I should celebrate every single defect and damage you put into yours, since mine will be all-the-more superior in the market.  It is because 99.999% of all copies of Action Comics #1 have been destroyed by someone that the remaining copies are valuable.  The same is true for all other comics, even if they are otherwise worthless.  Near mint worthless is always superior to low grade worthless for the same comic.  Unless you happen to be a creator on these comics and these are your personal copies, you're doing everyone else in this industry a favor.  We appreciate it. :foryou:

lol that is one crappy way to live life because, like you said, you'll be dead before any of my comics are sold. Have your kid thank my kid in 50 years lol

Crappy way to live life?  I'm an optimist!  I'm enjoying my life and enjoying the heck out of what you're doing in yours.  Even our kids will benefit from both of us.  Win-win-win-win scenarios.  Keep up the good work... and don't you have a Marvel to stick in your bicycle spokes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1