• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a grading appeal process....

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Post a pic of the book?  I would see if general consensus agrees the grade is off and go from there.

That's actually a great idea. I'll do that with the grader notes....

7 hours ago, Will96 said:

That's actually a great idea. I'll do that with the grader notes....

Here's the comic in question. Yeah, it's pretty beat so i knew the grade would not be great going in, but when I look at other 2.5s with stains, torn covers, missing pages, tape.... I feel like this is on the low side....

DSC_0967(1)(1)(1)(1).jpg

DSC_0969 1.JPG

Image1.jpg

11 hours ago, Will96 said:

You get your book back and you really feel the grade is not accurate.... beyond just resubmitting....

Nope. 

I will also tell you that CGC will absolutely hammer the grade for any sort of stain. 

Especially true over the last few years. 

Thanks for posting the pic!  CGC is super heavy on stains.  Rust also gets a ding but its not as significant as staining.  It also looks like there are several defects that could be fixed with a press/clean (bending on back cover).  I think the grade is in line as it sits but if you were to resub for a clean/press you may see a slight improvement.  

56 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Raw, I'd grade it a bit higher but I'm not as harsh on stains as CGC.

It is certainly not a Very Good( 4.0) and is better than a Good( 2.0). 

I'd have given it a 3.0, but can't say the 2.5 is outrageous. 

Agreed. This is kind of where i was at.... thinking 3.5, but definitely not a 4 or better.... certainly not anything (at least for me) to lose sleep over. I will stand by my opinion that I've seen a whole lot worse than this at 2.5 or better. This is not going anywhere. It was more or less slabbed for posterity's sake as there's sentimental value.

It was one of 6 books I submitted. 1 came back as expected, 1 better than expected, 3 that were lower but 100% my fault and then this one.

12 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I would have graded it a 3 since it still looks like a solid book despite the staining but since cgc is harsh in stains, the 2.5 makes sense. I would not have expected higher than 3.

Honestly, my expectation was in the 3-3.5 range but hearig from people about how they look at rust on stapes and stains compared to tears, missing pages and tape, I get it.

10 hours ago, Tony S said:

It is - as they say in the hobby - a book "that presents well for the grade". 

There is no grade appeal process. If CGC ever starts a "grade appeal process" expect it to cost about as much $$ as sending the book back in for regrading.   

Right, thinking abut the industry, it would get overload with everything coming in lower than a 9.8.... :) 

2 hours ago, Will96 said:

Honestly, my expectation was in the 3-3.5 range but hearig from people about how they look at rust on stapes and stains compared to tears, missing pages and tape, I get it.

So then they were just half a point off from what you thought you would get, that's pretty good. Speaking of stains, when I will have a chance, I will post another good example here of another cool key book that was brought waaaaay down due to the back.