• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a grading appeal process....

29 posts in this topic

As others have stated,  I think the grade is appropriate given the notes, rust and staining. 

It does look like a press and dry clean could help. Is it worth the $$ and time to press / dry clean and resubmit? That's up to you. And remember,  there are no guarantees. It may come back the same grade.  

I like the idea but not sure its feasible considering the volume they are doing now.  It'd be nice if they have some type of grading appeal process where you send the book back in and are guaranteed to have different graders other then the ones who looked at it determine the grade.  That would be way too time consuming and don't see that happening though.

I've got a Marvel Spotlight 5 (1st app Ghost Rider) that looks like an 8.0 but has a small stain on the back cover that goes through a few pages.  It's a CGC 5.5 White Pager now that i'll take all day long as it presents beautifully.

You might want to learn about grading a bit more before you keep sending books in to CGC or you'll be constantly frustrated with the grades you receive.

22 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Hey @Will96, here is the book I was talking about. Check that cover, it looks great (at least to me). But that grade is deplorable. And the reason why is simply due to stains. 

20200728_131950.jpg

20200728_132249.jpg

Thanks. I see what you mean. That is a nice cover, but I guess the staining on the back kills it....

Edited by Will96

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

As others have stated,  I think the grade is appropriate given the notes, rust and staining. 

It does look like a press and dry clean could help. Is it worth the $$ and time to press / dry clean and resubmit? That's up to you. And remember,  there are no guarantees. It may come back the same grade.  

That is a consideration, thanks. It's on display in my office now where it will probably stay. More sentimental value right now than dollar value, but I think If I were to think about selling, I would probably go that route. As others have stated, I really wasn't that far off with my assessment and I do feel it presents well. Really, I was looking at in context with other 2.5's I've seen, but it's been explained that staple rust and stains are bigger issues than tape, tears or missing pages that do not impact the story.

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

I like the idea but not sure its feasible considering the volume they are doing now.  It'd be nice if they have some type of grading appeal process where you send the book back in and are guaranteed to have different graders other then the ones who looked at it determine the grade.  That would be way too time consuming and don't see that happening though.

I've got a Marvel Spotlight 5 (1st app Ghost Rider) that looks like an 8.0 but has a small stain on the back cover that goes through a few pages.  It's a CGC 5.5 White Pager now that i'll take all day long as it presents beautifully.

You might want to learn about grading a bit more before you keep sending books in to CGC or you'll be constantly frustrated with the grades you receive.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Will96 said:

Thanks. I see what you me. That is a nice cover, but I guess the staining on the back kills it....

There's no reason to guess...it's an absolute certainty.  

With any book, please keep in mind that it's the severity and size of the flaws that can often make a huge difference in grade...  :foryou:

2 hours ago, Will96 said:

Thanks. I see what you me. That is a nice cover, but I guess the staining on the back kills it....

As I learnt yesterday, the problem with stainging near the spine, as is the case with my book and yours, is that it contributes to staple rust and that is another big no no with CGC, if it's severe enough. So the staining double kills it.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

As I learnt yesterday, the problem with stainging near the spine, as is the case with my book and yours, is that it contributes to staple rust and that is another big no no with CGC, if it's severe enough. So the staining double kills it.

Yep, I can see that. Good to know for future reference....