• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy 80th you wascally wabbit!
1 1

64 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2020 at 1:43 AM, OtherEric said:

My question is, is there anything new in the set or is it just the shorts we got in the Golden collections?

I want a complete Looney Tunes/ Merrie Melodies set; if Disney can get us all of their shorts Warner can get us all of theirs...

Don't waste your $.  Most, if not all of this has been previously been released.

I don't know why they don't release ALL of the BB cartoons (including the "banned"; the "racist"; the politically incorrect) in chronological order with the warning label that "Contents may be offensive to some people.  Not recommended for children under 12 years of age." - although they never harmed me :devil:  In fact Warners, release ALL of your cartoons with a disclaimer.

22 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Don't waste your $.  Most, if not all of this has been previously been released.

I don't know why they don't release ALL of the BB cartoons (including the "banned"; the "racist"; the politically incorrect) in chronological order with the warning label that "Contents may be offensive to some people.  Not recommended for children under 12 years of age." - although they never harmed me :devil:  In fact Warners, release ALL of your cartoons with a disclaimer.

I think it may be the first time some of them are available on Blu Ray though

But to your point, i'd love to see the infamous 'Censored Eleven" in their entirety. I think @OtherEric and I had a brief discussion on them a ways back in the Looney Tunes Thread

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censored_Eleven

20 minutes ago, sagii said:

But to your point, i'd love to see the infamous 'Censored Eleven" in their entirety. I think @OtherEric and I had a brief discussion on them a ways back in the Looney Tunes Thread

I don't know about Blu Ray but I'll bet that all of these have seen previous release in one form or another.

I might have missed them but I don't even see classics here like:  Rebel Rabbit; Hillbilly Hare; A Lad and His Lamp; My Bunny Lies Over The Sea.

People are forgetting here is that these "censored" cartoons are animation masterpieces.  

Put the caveat on them and let people see them...and while I'm at it - Disney!!! - release Song of the South.  

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, sagii said:

@pemart1966 These like Disney's Song of the South will probably never see the light of day again for public purchase,  but probably in  exclusive rsvp screenings showcases for historical context 

Heaven forbid that the general public get a look at it.    :fear:

Edited by pemart1966

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I have some Looney Tunes DVD's from over a decade ago and Whoopie Goldberg is on there warning about how the times were different back then and to take that into account when watching the cartoons ..... that's the way to do it, don't censor them !!!

I haven't took inventory lately buy about ten years back I downloaded as many Bugs Bunny cartoons as I could find and labeled them in chronological order. I think I was only missing about 5 of them. And theyre uncensured.  Pretty good quality too. I still have them.

Edited by Professor Chaos

On 7/27/2020 at 9:45 PM, N e r V said:

I don’t know if it blows everything else away but it’s standout for a lot of people who grew up with the Bugs cartoons. Just one of those in the series very fondly remembered by many. Probably the next best known WB cartoon isn’t Bugs but this one...

F1127E1B-D715-4D70-9804-A0C41601BC61.gif.3c601363f44aba62f7e1b2384ba5c048.gif

When I was younger, there was some discussion about how a lot of kids knew of bits of classic culture, not from the originals, but from the Looney Tunes borrowing from them.  It's even more true now... there's definitely a lot of people who know Duck Dodgers but would have no clue if you mentioned Buck Rogers.

17 hours ago, sagii said:

18 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

These are being released as an anniversary special edition. If it sells you  might see the WB release more. We live in a time where physical media like Blu Ray and 4k are fighting for a limited market in sales. Even as popular as DVD was years ago a lot of material didn’t sell well enough or was even given a chance at being released. I’m a movie collector among other things as well as a bit of video/audiophile so whatever I can get in a Blu Ray or 4k is a gift. So sure I’d be in for a WB Blu Ray collection like they did somewhat on DVD but that’s only going to happen if there’s enough buyers these days for it. Supporting interest in things like these “best of” is a way of voting interest with your dollars. If everyone passes on things like this when a studio is testing the waters then don’t expect them to invest capital into a large project blindly. There’s still interest in WB cartoons but it’s not as safe a bet as Scooby Doo is these days. The fan base here unlike Scooby tends to be older with less younger buyers than in previous years.

Not saying anyone should buy something like this if they wouldn’t be happy that it’s a sampler but if nothing else ever gets released I’m happy to have many good ones in HD quality. 

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

These are being released as an anniversary special edition. If it sells you  might see the WB release more. We live in a time where physical media like Blu Ray and 4k are fighting for a limited market in sales. Even as popular as DVD was years ago a lot of material didn’t sell well enough or was even given a chance at being released. I’m a movie collector among other things as well as a bit of video/audiophile so whatever I can get in a Blu Ray or 4k is a gift. So sure I’d be in for a WB Blu Ray collection like they did somewhat on DVD but that’s only going to happen if there’s enough buyers these days for it. Supporting interest in things like these “best of” is a way of voting interest with your dollars. If everyone passes on things like this when a studio is testing the waters then don’t expect them to invest capital into a large project blindly. There’s still interest in WB cartoons but it’s not as safe a bet as Scooby Doo is these days. The fan base here unlike Scooby tends to be older with less younger buyers than in previous years.

Not saying anyone should buy something like this if they wouldn’t be happy that it’s a sampler but if nothing else ever gets released I’m happy to have many good ones in HD quality. 

I don't know enough about the differences between Blu Ray and DVD to be honest, but assuming that there's a better picture with BLU Ray I can see that being a factor with modern releases.  However when you consider material made in the 1930s, 40s and 50s, the quality of audio and video is at level X.  I'm not sure that you can raise the quality beyond that level even with today's technology.  Even if you can, the minute you start doing that, you're monkeying with the original product if that makes any sense.

I'm fine with the DVD versions and this release with its figurine, fancy box, and unimaginative selections just seems like another uninspired cash grab.  

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I don't know enough about the differences between Blu Ray and DVD to be honest, but assuming that there's a better picture with BLU Ray I can see that being a factor with modern releases.  However when you consider material made in the 1930s, 40s and 50s, the quality of audio and video is at level X.  I'm not sure that you can raise the quality beyond that level even with today's technology.  Even if you can, the minute you start doing that, you're monkeying with the original product if that makes any sense.

I'm fine with the DVD versions and this release with its figurine, fancy box, and unimaginative selections just seems like another uninspired cash grab.  

I won’t get into much on tech specs and variables but if something was shot on film and not video there’s a pretty big leap in quality from DVD to Blu Ray and 4k (500 vs 1080 vs 4000 scan lines). Part of the process with getting older material shot on film be it cartoons or a old movie is they first clean up any damage done to film over the years and fix any problems including audio issues then scan the material to 2k or 4k before the transfer. So the quality uptick relates to the original sources condition and really some material just looks better when given a HD treatment. Since film exceeds DVD quality by a mile you are experiencing this older material closer to as it was originally being shown since the older material looked much nicer in person on film then everyone’s seen in the decades since on tv. I have the Scooby Doo series  on Blu Ray and the Peanuts specials on 4k. Nice deep, rich colors on those along with the clarity. I own the WB cartoons on DVD as well and expect a significant uptick when I get the Bugs Bunny special set. I’m using a 4k OLED TV though these days so what you’re watching everything on will make or break the experience.

I own a lot of DVDs too and unless something gets replaced by a Blu Ray or 4k release I can live with the DVD quality. Think of it as owning a bunch of 4.0 to 6.0 comics that you like and occasionally you are able to upgrade to 9.0’s to 9.8’s... 

57 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I won’t get into much on tech specs and variables but if something was shot on film and not video there’s a pretty big leap in quality from DVD to Blu Ray and 4k (500 vs 1080 vs 4000 scan lines). Part of the process with getting older material shot on film be it cartoons or a old movie is they first clean up any damage done to film over the years and fix any problems including audio issues then scan the material to 2k or 4k before the transfer. So the quality uptick relates to the original sources condition and really some material just looks better when given a HD treatment. Since film exceeds DVD quality by a mile you are experiencing this older material closer to as it was originally being shown since the older material looked much nicer in person on film then everyone’s seen in the decades since on tv. I have the Scooby Doo series  on Blu Ray and the Peanuts specials on 4k. Nice deep, rich colors on those along with the clarity. I own the WB cartoons on DVD as well and expect a significant uptick when I get the Bugs Bunny special set. I’m using a 4k OLED TV though these days so what you’re watching everything on will make or break the experience.

I own a lot of DVDs too and unless something gets replaced by a Blu Ray or 4k release I can live with the DVD quality. Think of it as owning a bunch of 4.0 to 6.0 comics that you like and occasionally you are able to upgrade to 9.0’s to 9.8’s... 

Be sure to give us your review here once you've had a chance to compare the same cartoon on DVD to that of the B Ray.

Got twenty sheets of the Bugs Bunny stamps today. All Bedrock City correspondence for the foreseeable future will be sent using a Bugs stamp!

27 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Got twenty sheets of the Bugs Bunny stamps today. All Bedrock City correspondence for the foreseeable future will be sent using a Bugs stamp!

You can use this on your e-mail correspondences then...

3DC1757B-6ED4-4957-A124-05AD51289F4C.gif.a78752418ccba88ba09fb4b58ef83d46.gif

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

In many cases, a film that is published on Blu-Ray will get a new restoration using more advanced tools than available when the DVD was produced.  Also, they clean up more details because they know they will be more obvious on the larger displays/higher resolution sets.

I read reviews of Blu-rays and in many cases avoid buying them until they do a fitting restoration.

2 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I think many of the Bugs stories are pretty good but I think the early stories in LMM are better than the later ones.

6267693640_341126c6d9_b.jpg

That Four Color #48 is probably my favorite Porky Pig cover...