• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ne=1058&N=52+792+4294945588+1067&ic4=Refine-ComicCategory-102615

Strong artwork in here already.  I can't recall having seen that JIM 112 page at auction, even when the book broke up 20-something years ago. Lots of Wood-inked Marvel pages. And TWO Raymond Flash Gordons with toppers?

I've seen a lot of Kirby FF splashes, but I've never seen this show up before: https://comics.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous//p/7234-96003.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

This is from the era where Jack had just started inserting full-page spreads in his stories, seemingly so he'd get to the end faster.  Some of them are superfluous, but holy cow this is a nice one.

That Simon Bisley Lobo Issue 1 cover was pointed out to me by a couple of fellow collectors (and boardies).  It definitely checks all the boxes for me.  But even if I didn't wipe out my Art war chest during the last HA and Clink auctions, I would find is psychologically hard to spend that much on one piece (even though its flawed logic since adding up all my purchases will easily surpass it)

Malvin

Thanks for the thread - the July one was getting past it's expiration date.  There was quite a bit of talk there concerning the Chamber of Chills #19 cover.  I'm very curious to see where that one ends up.  Does anyone know what the current record is for a non-EC pre-code horror cover?  

4 hours ago, glendgold said:

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ne=1058&N=52+792+4294945588+1067&ic4=Refine-ComicCategory-102615

Strong artwork in here already.  I can't recall having seen that JIM 112 page at auction, even when the book broke up 20-something years ago. Lots of Wood-inked Marvel pages. And TWO Raymond Flash Gordons with toppers?

A nice fight page from this issue sold on Clink approximately 5? years ago for $26K, IIRC

4 hours ago, glendgold said:

I think that's the first appearance of Hulk's chest hair.

19 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I think that's the first appearance of Hulk's chest hair.

Weirdly, I have paid attention to the Hulk's chest hair.  It debuted in Hulk 3, stuck around for much of Hulk 4, then departed again until FF 25.  When those unused Hulk pencils by Kirby showed up, courtesy of Larry Lieber, it was unclear what issue they were for, as they didn't fit any known story - but chest hair forensics suggested Hulk 4.  Before that episode, he waxed. EDIT and IMPORTANT UPDATE: No chest hair in Avengers 1. Chest hair in Avengers 2 and 3.

Edited by glendgold

While it’s understandable a lot of you are fired up about Hulk’s chest hair.... I guess one could say Byrne’s X-Men art is my Hulk’s chest hair!  That era of X-Men pages always kick an auction’s excitement level up a notch in my book.

No, I’m not a player but I do enjoy seeing others chase after em.

20 hours ago, glendgold said:

Weirdly, I have paid attention to the Hulk's chest hair.  It debuted in Hulk 3, stuck around for much of Hulk 4, then departed again until FF 25.  When those unused Hulk pencils by Kirby showed up, courtesy of Larry Lieber, it was unclear what issue they were for, as they didn't fit any known story - but chest hair forensics suggested Hulk 4.  Before that episode, he waxed. EDIT and IMPORTANT UPDATE: No chest hair in Avengers 1. Chest hair in Avengers 2 and 3.

This demands a hulk-chest-hair-index.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, ShallowDan said:

Thanks for the thread - the July one was getting past it's expiration date.  There was quite a bit of talk there concerning the Chamber of Chills #19 cover.  I'm very curious to see where that one ends up.  Does anyone know what the current record is for a non-EC pre-code horror cover?  

Offhand I’d say the cover to Weird Mysteries 4, hammering at $33,460 in 2013.

On 7/27/2020 at 2:37 PM, malvin said:

That Simon Bisley Lobo Issue 1 cover was pointed out to me by a couple of fellow collectors (and boardies).  It definitely checks all the boxes for me.  But even if I didn't wipe out my Art war chest during the last HA and Clink auctions, I would find is psychologically hard to spend that much on one piece (even though its flawed logic since adding up all my purchases will easily surpass it)

Malvin

I think there are a lot of folks disappointed by this one now that the pictures are up.