• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Well I took one of my rare forays into five figure world and I just got bumped off three days out. Don’t think I want to fight it out either.

Always a downer when you get blown out before it even hits the live auction.  Best of luck if you do decide to chase it. 

19 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

Always a downer when you get blown out before it even hits the live auction.  Best of luck if you do decide to chase it. 

Actually I think that's good. You can spend on your on something else. 

I always felt that it's better to be blown out, at least you know you never had a chance. If you were the underbidder you might start wondering if squeezing in one more bid (another week of Mac and cheese dinners) would have won it. 

Malvin 

39 minutes ago, malvin said:

I always felt that it's better to be blown out, at least you know you never had a chance. If you were the underbidder you might start wondering if squeezing in one more bid (another week of Mac and cheese dinners) would have won it. 

Malvin 

You get to include cheese?

2 hours ago, malvin said:

Malvin 

There’s a lot of truth in that take. The losses that eat at me the most are definitely those where I was the underbidder. As you said, there’s always that nagging feeling that if you had stretched just a little bit more you would have won. But when you get blown out you know that you were never in the running, so that feeling doesn’t haunt you. 

Edited by ShallowDan
typo

A friend and I bid for the same piece once on eBay. I won fortunately and he told me what his Max bid was (underbidder).

i beat him by $25. He was beside himself that if he had just bid one more time. To spare him I told him I had bid $100’s of dollars max bid more then I actually did to alleviate his grief.

Its a wicked game we play.

1 hour ago, ShallowDan said:

There’s a lot of truth in that take. The losses that eat at me the most are definitely those where I was the underbidder. As you said, there’s always that nagging feeling that if you had stretched just a little bit more you would have won. But when you get blown out you know that you were never in the running, so that feeling doesn’t haunt you. 

But, if you really, really wanted it, you would have gone a little higher, right?  And if not, no great loss.

If it is something I really want, no realistic price becomes an impediment (unless I sense bid manipulation, which happened once).

5 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

(unless I sense bid manipulation, which happened once)

There is an entire House that I sense this on. I do bid on things I like but when I see "the tells" in the other bids...nope. And they pretty much always buy it in. It's funny. But sad too. And no...not posting the "name" publicly, because as we all know...I might just be wrong lol

1 hour ago, vodou said:

There is an entire House that I sense this on. I do bid on things I like but when I see "the tells" in the other bids...nope. And they pretty much always buy it in. It's funny. But sad too. And no...not posting the "name" publicly, because as we all know...I might just be wrong lol

This one was an overseas auction. I didn’t like the “echo” bid pattern I was seeing, or where the final echo ended up on a pretty obscure piece.

27 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

or where the final echo ended up on a pretty obscure piece.

My eyebrow definitely goes up when I'm bidding on something that nobody else should be, an obscure and largely uninteresting object in an obscure venue and...my bid is matched every time, laddering up, and up, and...then I back off and it "sells" to ? Only to be later re-offered in some other manner by an "associated" name/company of the previous auctioneer. Where I do not participate and it sells for half or less than the previous "sale". Oh. Please. lol

7 minutes ago, vodou said:

My eyebrow definitely goes up when I'm bidding on something that nobody else should be, an obscure and largely uninteresting object in an obscure venue and...my bid is matched every time, laddering up, and up, and...then I back off and it "sells" to ? Only to be later re-offered in some other manner by an "associated" name/company of the previous auctioneer. Where I do not participate and it sells for half or less than the previous "sale". Oh. Please. lol

Add in an echo price at roughly double my estimate of the market price? Uh-uh. 

On 9/6/2020 at 10:57 AM, glendgold said:

In the Kirby world, I see the JIM 112 2-panel page and the Thor cover are at roughly the same price.  I'd bet one entire dollar in highly-leveraged American currency that the 112 page finishes higher.

I was thinking the real bidding hasn't even started yet.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:49 PM, ShallowDan said:

It’s funny I had the biggest single auction of my life a few months ago. I actually can for once afford something actually elite...but the thought of spending a high end bmw value on a page still terrifies me if I’m keeping it. I don’t know what that says about me. Maybe I’m stuck in a middle class mindset. Maybe I just remember these pages being the same as the cost of a good lunch and I can’t wrap my mind around it...maybe I’m just a cheap &$:@ and won’t ever have anything new that good unless I find it in the wild for 1990 prices lol.  I always marvel at peoples abilities to drop 6 figures on items. Takes stones.

1 minute ago, zhamlau said:

It’s funny I had the biggest single auction of my life a few months ago. I actually can for once afford something actually elite...but the thought of spending a high end bmw value on a page still terrifies me if I’m keeping it. I don’t know what that says about me. Maybe I’m stuck in a middle class mindset. Maybe I just remember these pages being the same as the cost of a good lunch and I can’t wrap my mind around it...maybe I’m just a cheap &$:@ and won’t ever have anything new that good unless I find it in the wild for 1990 prices lol.  I always marvel at peoples abilities to drop 6 figures on items. Takes stones.

To me, it just says that you still remember that this is real money we're talking about here, which can arguably go a lot further if buying other things.  It's a weird mental state we as collectors sometimes find ourselves in where $X (whatever that value is for the particular collector) doesn't seem like much when spent on art, but definitely feels like a lot when spent on something that's non-art related.  And I say that as someone who never ventures outside of the low four-figure side of the pool (and spends most of his time in the three-figure kiddie pool).

27 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I grappled with similar thoughts upon making the decision to breach low 5-figures on a piece, and it’s amazing how quickly your mindset adjusts to it.  Before I knew it, I made a few purchases into the high 5-figures, and ultimately into 6-figures (although I’ve only done this once...thus far).

Now, if the right McSpidey cover becomes available...💰💰💰💰💰💰

Let's not kid ourselves. If we thought for a minute that we couldn't sell what we bought for at least something close to what we paid for it (maybe lose 10-20% if we are in a rush), almost none of us would drop 5 figures on any art. I justify every purchase by saying I'm just converting one investment into another. Being married, I could not justify spending $10k on a piece of art if I thought it would depreciate to zero at some point in time. But I can buy a Mercedes Benz and know it will depreciate to zero at some point. But my MB gets me to work and other places so I justify the luxury because it is something I want. And history has proven that in most cases, the art we buy will go up in value. If over a 20-30 year period, the prices were decreasing, there would be a lot less collectors, even though we could afford to own a lot more art.