• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

“Many expect” a new frazetta record?   Sounds like a done deal behind the scenes? 

CF0F97B9-CA30-475E-A98D-7572F3560D82.png

It's not even close to being his most famous work, and it's also not even the "real" Princess of Mars

The painting is going to do fine, but this speculation that it's going to get up into Egyptian Queen territory is going to make whatever it does sell at seem disappointing.  I'm not sure even the version of Princess that was published would challenge Queen.

42 minutes ago, tth2 said:

It's not even close to being his most famous work, and it's also not even the "real" Princess of Mars

The painting is going to do fine, but this speculation that it's going to get up into Egyptian Queen territory is going to make whatever it does sell at seem disappointing.  I'm not sure even the version of Princess that was published would challenge Queen.

I'm not sure its speculation is my point Tim.

I don't think heritage feed that perception to the press unless they KNOW, not "believe" that it will beat EQ.    I mean where is that, to me, random website getting that price expectation from?  It has to be either from or vetted by convos with heritage, one would think.   And if heritage is making a public home run prediction in the press... they have to have their reasons for what you and I would otherwise call misplaced confidence, no?

I think it has to be a 6m+ guarantee for them to be flapping their gums in advance of the auction.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I don't think heritage feed that perception to the press unless they KNOW, not "believe" that it will beat EQ.    I mean where is that, to me, random website getting that price expectation from?  It has to be either from or vetted by convos with heritage, one would think.   And if heritage is making a public home run prediction in the press... they have to have their reasons for what you and I would otherwise call misplaced confidence, no?

I think it has to be a 6m+ guarantee for them to be flapping their gums in advance of the auction.

Nah. I think the writer just got carried away. It's a ridiculously written piece. 

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

There's obviously a small handful of pieces that might be expected to challenge Egyptian Queen, but I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that this is one of them, especially given the fact that it's essentially a recreation.

But what do I know?  I'm not yet in that "then, you only want Frazetta" territory...:insane:

Either way, it will obviously be exciting to see where this one ends up.

3 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

But what do I know?

More than the writer who wrote that puff piece. 

If this sells for $6 million, the whole hobby will rightly be screaming SHENANIGANS.  As I mentioned, my friend was interested in potentially buying this piece a while back, and the family (I forget if it was Heidi or Holly; I'm sure it's in an old e-mail somewhere) wanted a few hundred grand for it.  There is no way they would have even asked for an absurd multi-million dollar guarantee, and Heritage would not have granted one that high unless there was other stuff going on behind the scenes (but why risk the reputational backlash for something that would, on the surface, stink to high heaven). 

Nah, I think this one falls into the category of "never attribute to malice what can more easily be explained by stupidity".  I blame the writer. 

8 minutes ago, delekkerste said:As I mentioned, my friend was interested in potentially buying this piece a while back, and the family (I forget if it was Heidi or Holly; I'm sure it's in an old e-mail somewhere) wanted a few hundred grand for it.  

And yet it’s already above that level.   

Maybe you’re right.   But if that journalist had 1/4 of a brain he would have asked for HA’s opinion on value.    If he’s a drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person then fine it won’t go close to the record.    On the other hand if he’s able to walk and talk and chew gum then he knows something.   My gut says he asked.   We shall see. 

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

And yet it’s already above that level.   

Maybe you’re right.   But if that journalist had 1/4 of a brain he would have asked for HA’s opinion on value.    If he’s a drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person then fine it won’t go close to the record.    On the other hand if he’s able to walk and talk and chew gum then he knows something.   My gut says he asked.   We shall see. 

Already above what level?  The few hundred grand was from a few years ago.  *Of course* one would expect the reserve/guarantee/market to be higher now.  But nowhere near $6 million.  

The writer is a drooling eejit.  Heritage is too smart to make blatantly false claims about the piece ("as perhaps Frazetta's most famous work", um, not even close) so the writer clearly went off the rails about that and, undoubtedly, about it rivaling Egyptian Queen in value.  If we get a $5-6 million result on this, or even half that, I'm crying foul, as will any number of seasoned collectors and Frazetta experts. 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

More than the writer who wrote that puff piece. 

If this sells for $6 million, the whole hobby will rightly be screaming SHENANIGANS.  As I mentioned, my friend was interested in potentially buying this piece a while back, and the family (I forget if it was Heidi or Holly; I'm sure it's in an old e-mail somewhere) wanted a few hundred grand for it.  There is no way they would have even asked for an absurd multi-million dollar guarantee, and Heritage would not have granted one that high unless there was other stuff going on behind the scenes (but why risk the reputational backlash for something that would, on the surface, stink to high heaven). 

Nah, I think this one falls into the category of "never attribute to malice what can more easily be explained by stupidity".  I blame the writer. 

55FD7706-3736-4C5C-A39F-4647A0C54E11.png

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

All stating the obvious. But clearly not obvious to victims of the HA Marketing Machine ;)

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

But if that journalist had 1/4 of a brain he would have asked for HA’s opinion on value.

The "journalist" is he's doing his job should be asking anybody else that's qualified other than HA!

I think the journalist did a great job. He created click-bait and all of you knuckleheads have clicked. :baiting:

23 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I actually can for once afford something actually elite...but the thought of spending a high end bmw value on a page still terrifies me if I’m keeping it. I don’t know what that says about me.

Well, it says that you consider BMW an "elite" vehicle.

Based on the last couple of auctions, it looks like the entire Strange Tales 101 story is getting broken up.  I just looked it up, and not only was it the first superhero story in Strange Tales, but it came out just two months after the introductions of Thor & Spider-Man. Have any earlier Marvel hero books ever come to public auction complete like this (if it is indeed the full story being sold)?

It's out of my reach... but if I were looking to pick up a Kirby (& had unlimited funds), I think I'd choose the ST 101 Splash over the Thor cover or JIM 112 page..

21 minutes ago, vodou said:

TOS 39, first Iron Man, is the one most of us old-timers would point to.

but that's not what he asked.  He just asked about earlier books.   ST 101 predates TOS39 by several months.  

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

but that's not what he asked.  He just asked about earlier books.   ST 101 predates TOS39 by several months.  

I'll admit to not giving a s...t about "the months", but yes...you caught me :); too lazy to double-check!