• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

Just now, BCarter27 said:

Frazetta... This is as painful to watch as my last bout of constipation. They are trying to squeeeeeze out one last bit.

Lol yes

i was thinking awewwwwkwaaaard as I watched it  

4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Speaking of records what’s the frazetta record for a pencil only piece? 

You might be right.

Maybe this one-

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-frazetta-tarzan-at-the-dum-dum-pencil-illustration-original-art-1991-/a/7007-92091.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I had to go pretty far down the list to find a pencil-only piece-

https://comicarttracker.com/history?query=frazetta

2 minutes ago, robert frey said:

can someone please elighten me how that buscema avengers splash sold for 30k in december and is now a 90k page? 

It's got to be because of politics.

2 minutes ago, robert frey said:

can someone please elighten me how that buscema avengers splash sold for 30k in december and is now a 90k page? 

The actor who portrayed Black Panther recently passed away.

120k for the Kirby hiding Thor/Hulk page, 78k for the Kirby Thor cover...

1 minute ago, robert frey said:

1. Black Panther being very top of mind due to the very recent tragic passing of Chadiwck Boseman 

2. Given the pandemic restrictions, people are waaaaaaaaaaay more bored now than they were last December and have generally lost their minds after being cooped up for 6 months

3. Given that the Federal Reserve has printed $3 trillion of new funny money since December, a portion of the population has more/much more money now than they did in December (while a large portion of the population is worse/significantly worse off due to pandemic-related effects, to be sure)

4. Heritage has a wider reach in original art than Profiles

2 hours ago, buttock said:

Am I the only one who is really bothered by the JIM 112 splash?  The Hulk is so poorly drawn.  His right pec is either absent or sagging down to his beltline.  His head looks like a thumbtack, and his face looks like one of those $20 caricatures that you'd get at an amusement park if the Hulk was getting one drawn.  Not to mention his shoulders.  I try to be forgiving of Kirby out of appreciation for what he was often going for, but this is just... yeesh.  

It's entirely possible bidders were hypnotized by Hulk's chest hair. 

44 minutes ago, robert frey said:

So does this affect Buscema pricing moving forward? No secret that I have the last two pages from this issue (NOT FOR SALE!) so I find this Black Panther splash sales result pretty interesting. Might it just be an outlier for all the reasons suggested here?

5 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I love Wrightson and my collection reflects that. That said, I've never been tempted by a Wrightson painting, from any era. Wrightson is about the image in the form of a hard inked line for me. Like what you like, but Wrightson is the master of light and shadow and line and I collect accordingly.

I mean, with all due respect to present company, most comic artists are average to poor painters 2c .    Its just not the medium they have the most experience and skill in.     I like paintings from painters and drawings from draftsmen.    That said it wasn't a bad wrightson, but sure, I'd take the HOS 92 cover or many other pieces over it, who wouldn't.

6 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

So does this affect Buscema pricing moving forward? No secret that I have the last two pages from this issue (NOT FOR SALE!) so I find this Black Panther splash sales result pretty interesting. Might it just be an outlier for all the reasons suggested here?

Total outlier, but, your pages would fetch :flipbait:regardless of what anyone thinks about today's data point.