• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

I thought a lot of the art did quite well but some were on the lower side

Kirby ToS splash at $15.6k, on the low side I thought I saw it on a dealers site a while back but can't remember whose or the asking price.

Not Brand Echh cover at $38.4k, wow, that was a shocker for me.  Nice cover nut I thought it would go a lot lower

Sub-Mariner 36 cover at $16.8k, maybe a little lower than I would have thought.

Kamandi splash at $25.2k, higher than I hoped.  Sadly it won't be residing at my house :sorry:

1961 Peanuts strip at $33.6k was really high but great content. 

1970 Peanuts strip was okay at $16.8k.  I liked it but didn't love it.  Bowed out at $12k.

4 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

José Luis García-López Deadman #1 for 13.2K...seems high

I was going after that and I was very surrised. Someone mentioned they had seen it for sale at a smaller con for like $7.5K. I love José Luis García-López artwork and that splash was extra special done on dou-shade but I didn't bid anywhere near the final hammer.

5 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

I was going after that and I was very surrised. Someone mentioned they had seen it for sale at a smaller con for like $7.5K. I love José Luis García-López artwork and that splash was extra special done on dou-shade but I didn't bid anywhere near the final hammer.

I think it was at $3.600 earlier today and I thought based on 1) Cool factor 2) splash + art  it would be worth a try....none of the pages I liked behaved price wise.

54 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

The Bisley Lobo selling for $28,800 was another head scratcher. I thought it would go for around $15K

It might have been the  🍊 border

It was a flashy piece, well bid and won. Again congrats to the consignors.

Edited by grapeape

14 minutes ago, tth2 said:

The Alex Raymond 1937 Jungle Jim-Flash Gordon went for $81k, while the 1939 Jungle Jim-Flash Gordon went for $96k.  The latter price is really impressive considering that Flash is barely in the piece. 

The 37 was so beautiful. Alex Raymond is much admired by the Grape but that’s not Monopoly money.

18 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Any thoughts on the Romita Sr cover painting for $55K?

I love the characters and composition (not crazy about the yellow background)

I knew it would be way out of my price range, but I was watching the Romita Fireside painting auction to see where it ended. Kinda shocked it reached that number, but then again, the covers to those books rarely pop up. love that piece, it hits all the right nostalgic buttons for me.

Some quick thoughts on day two (which I did not win anything, ahhhhh). I will not be holding back my opinion but feel free to disagree with me.:foryou:

*George Perez complete book Avengers #34 went for $38k+. Thought that was very high. Cover was useless, so assume that should have gone for $4k by itself (honestly have no idea), that mean 38 pages went for $34k (or $895 per page). Less than a year ago the complete story (less cover) for #33 sold on ComicLink for $418 a page. Half of the pages were only Perez layouts, but from a per page the HA interior book sold for more than double. I gave up on this one pretty quickly in the auction.

*Invaders Annual #1 page ten. Top piece I wanted and was the underbidder. I actually thought I won, must have taken my eyes off the screen for a few seconds, but that was my top amount as I had already clicked "Disable Live Bidding". Sold for $15.6k. I would be more disappointed but I have spent a lot over the past month (can't own them all). For those who don't know what this page is, Alex Schomburg did a lot of the classic Timely covers. He stop drawing Comic Book Art (except recreation type paintings) in 1951 except one cover and six pages for this issue. Therefore, this was a very "rare piece". HA has never sold any of the other pages, so there was no price history to know what this should have gone for. Obviously, since I was the underbidder, I feel that the price was about right, but who knows what this might sell for ten years from now (more or less).

*Boris Vallejo Gryphon Painting sold for $14.4k (thought that was high). I like a lot of Boris' work (and own several nice pieces). I had exactly 0.0000000% interest in this piece. Gryphon looked kind of cool but that is the most "manly" looking lady I have ever seen in a Boris piece. Funny is that was the piece they had behind the auctioneer, but I think there are hundreds of better Boris' pieces. And it was 1991, so it wasn't from anywhere close to his peak period (70's). 

*Daredevil #10 page 11 Bob Powell and Wally Wood sold for $40.8k. That's what most of these pages go for. That said, while I like the idea of owning one of these one day, I don't see any "Wally Wood" in the art. They are extremely dull (feels more like DC art from the time than Marvel). Probably because Colan took over a year later, most early DD art seems very dull.

Hopefully, I will win one or two pieces on day three. If not, there are plenty of other auctions coming down the pike. 

27 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

It was the best piece in the entire auction for me. A best of the best, one and done example.

I'm pretty sure I was the underbidder on that one. It was just going back and forth between us. Alllllllmost went higher, but I stuck to my max. Oh well... sigh.

1 hour ago, ronwlim said:

I'm pretty sure I was the underbidder on that one. It was just going back and forth between us. Alllllllmost went higher, but I stuck to my max. Oh well... sigh.

FWIW, ya got it up to double splash territory, so you put up a good fight (and no, I didn't bid). 

2 hours ago, sfilosa said:

Some quick thoughts on day two (which I did not win anything, ahhhhh). I will not be holding back my opinion but feel free to disagree with me.:foryou:

*George Perez complete book Avengers #34 went for $38k+. Thought that was very high. Cover was useless, so assume that should have gone for $4k by itself (honestly have no idea), that mean 38 pages went for $34k (or $895 per page). Less than a year ago the complete story (less cover) for #33 sold on ComicLink for $418 a page. Half of the pages were only Perez layouts, but from a per page the HA interior book sold for more than double. I gave up on this one pretty quickly in the auction.

*Invaders Annual #1 page ten. Top piece I wanted and was the underbidder. I actually thought I won, must have taken my eyes off the screen for a few seconds, but that was my top amount as I had already clicked "Disable Live Bidding". Sold for $15.6k. I would be more disappointed but I have spent a lot over the past month (can't own them all). For those who don't know what this page is, Alex Schomburg did a lot of the classic Timely covers. He stop drawing Comic Book Art (except recreation type paintings) in 1951 except one cover and six pages for this issue. Therefore, this was a very "rare piece". HA has never sold any of the other pages, so there was no price history to know what this should have gone for. Obviously, since I was the underbidder, I feel that the price was about right, but who knows what this might sell for ten years from now (more or less).

*Boris Vallejo Gryphon Painting sold for $14.4k (thought that was high). I like a lot of Boris' work (and own several nice pieces). I had exactly 0.0000000% interest in this piece. Gryphon looked kind of cool but that is the most "manly" looking lady I have ever seen in a Boris piece. Funny is that was the piece they had behind the auctioneer, but I think there are hundreds of better Boris' pieces. And it was 1991, so it wasn't from anywhere close to his peak period (70's). 

*Daredevil #10 page 11 Bob Powell and Wally Wood sold for $40.8k. That's what most of these pages go for. That said, while I like the idea of owning one of these one day, I don't see any "Wally Wood" in the art. They are extremely dull (feels more like DC art from the time than Marvel). Probably because Colan took over a year later, most early DD art seems very dull.

Hopefully, I will win one or two pieces on day three. If not, there are plenty of other auctions coming down the pike. 

I thought Schomberg also did the cover painting for the Overstreet Price Guide #10, circa 1980?  It has Subby , the Torch and Cap prominently featured.

Edited by jjonahjameson11