• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I thought Schomberg also did the cover painting for the Overstreet Price Guide #10, circa 1980?  It has Subby , the Torch and Cap prominently featured.

He did. It's a painting, therefore not really comic art. I actually remember buying that guide when it came out and it is a great cover. And he did other comic paintings also, but once again not really comic art (e.g. black and white) and definitely not for a story. Either way, his art is extremely rare to find. 

Funny. I was offered that Arak cover privately very recently (I left a comment on CAF about the nostalgia of it in a previous owner’s gallery and they contacted me with a private offer, as they were selling), not sure if this was the same person or a short flip, but I wanna say it they were looking for like $500-750 or something in that range. Somebody did ok.

And the humor of owning that almost made me do it, before returning to my senses. I do remember getting that comic during a summer vacation road trip, and being sprawled out in the back of the station wagon with pillows, as dad was driving the family to wherever we were headed. I think the only Arak book I ever read, and I have no recollection of the interior story at all, but vivid memories in grabbing it off the spinner rack before we left, with 4 or 5 other titles, (ROM, Conan, GI Joe) and looking at it a bunch during the trip. Heh. 

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Bad run for me, underbidder on 10 lots and blown out of water on 5. 

10 underbidder is a lot. Would like to know some of those if you care to share.:$

I picked up a Michael Kaluta Lucifer cover. Wanted something from him and this is the time to buy (lots of options). He didn't leave much empty space on the cover :idea:.Paid more than I thought it would go for, but I had three pieces I was very interested and when you don't get the first two, the "bid again :devil:" has a lot of influence. 

On 9/12/2020 at 8:13 PM, vodou said:

Firestorm #1 couldn't even make $20k, years after selling for $25k (famously offered at the same time/price as Gene's New Mutants #1 cover).

You know, that's how I remember it as well, that both pieces were offered at the same price ($25K), but, I have had several people tell me I was wrong and that the Firestorm was offered at $15K or $20K. 

I think you and I are right - they were definitely both initially offered at the same price ($25K), but, the buyer got the Firestorm at a discount.  I think people may be conflating what he actually paid for the piece as the offered price when it was first offered (or maybe the seller dropped the price later on).  In any case, I'm sure that both pieces both started off at the same level.   

Even at the lower initial buy-in, he didn't recoup his outlay in this sale, 5 years later.  I'm actually surprised by this - the art/collectibles market is molten now due to boredom and money printing, and I thought a reasonably prominent '80s #1 cover from a mainstream Big Two superhero title would have done better than $15.5K hammer in this environment. 

Edited by delekkerste

8 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

:whatthe:

I only half-jokingly say to friends these days that "nobody cares about Conan" [referring to younger collectors].  No need to add the "half-jokingly" qualifier when talking about Kamandi - if you're under 50 and are interested in Kamandi, chances are that you're just looking for any kind of Big Two Kirby art that fits in the budget, because few in that age group will have read the series and fewer still will have any genuinely strong affinity for the character. 

giphy.gif

Edited by delekkerste

Just now, delekkerste said:

I only half-jokingly say to friends these days that "nobody cares about Conan" [talking about younger collectors].  No need to add the "half-jokingly" qualifier when talking about Kamandi - if you're under 50 and are interested in Kamandi, chances are that you're just looking for any kind of Big Two Kirby art that fits in the budget, because few in that age group will have read the series and fewer still will have any genuinely strong affinity for the character. 

giphy.gif

You definitely nailed me.  Over 50 and grew up loving the series.  Bad thing as a kid was I could never get a run of the book put together and the stories continued through several issues.

11 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

You definitely nailed me.  Over 50 and grew up loving the series.  Bad thing as a kid was I could never get a run of the book put together and the stories continued through several issues.

And I'm under 50, and yep, never really cared for Kamandi, though I do have an issue or 2 in my comic collection.