• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

What's a Kamandi?

Conan, Tarzan and the like at least are enshrined in film (beyond the comics space)... Kamandi for the younger gen would require a mindblowingly epic reboot.

Paging Tradd.  

Interesting 🤔 

Say what about Tradd with our very own Scott Williams to ink a bonafide reboot? I’d buy that comic and suffer a gut churning Felix drop for a chance at a page.

Edited by grapeape

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

lolOh, Kamandi is a total nostalgia trip. LOVED KAMANDI! I was 12 years old and it was the ONLY book I ever considered getting a subscription for! It is squarely in the sweet spot of my prime nostalgia years. You notice I said earlier that it was the best piece at this auction for me. It's a very well done Kirby piece done during a period when I think he was still not past his prime, but it's not Capt America or Avengers or Fantastic Four. So yeah, it's a perfect Kamandi piece. Is it a long term smart buy at that price? That's another conversation.

You’re absolutely right. It was well bought at the final hammer. It’s the best Kamandi piece I can think of coming up for sale. Kirby just absolutely nailed this one with his inspired genius. He loves this work obviously. He still completely wielded major artistic game at this point in his career. 

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I only half-jokingly say to friends these days that "nobody cares about Conan" [referring to younger collectors].  No need to add the "half-jokingly" qualifier when talking about Kamandi - if you're under 50 and are interested in Kamandi, chances are that you're just looking for any kind of Big Two Kirby art that fits in the budget, because few in that age group will have read the series and fewer still will have any genuinely strong affinity for the character. 

giphy.gif

I love Kirby but never read Kamandi. I was the underbidder on the splash and it's just a nice piece of art... bold lines, great composition. I could care less that it was Kamandi or Silver Star. Just loved the actual artwork.

- Ron

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

lolOh, Kamandi is a total nostalgia trip. LOVED KAMANDI! I was 12 years old and it was the ONLY book I ever considered getting a subscription for! It is squarely in the sweet spot of my prime nostalgia years. You notice I said earlier that it was the best piece at this auction for me. It's a very well done Kirby piece done during a period when I think he was still not past his prime, but it's not Capt America or Avengers or Fantastic Four. So yeah, it's a perfect Kamandi piece. Is it a long term smart buy at that price? That's another conversation.

I discovered Kamandi in the 1980s when my life settled down enough to find time to explore comic books in general.  I built the entire run from back issues and really enjoyed the art and the story line.  When I started getting into original comic art in the 1990s (to present), true, it was an affordable Kirby, but also from a series I had an affinity for.  My Kamandi #19 piece was acquired by selling off a Captain Victory page that was very cool, but didn't resonate for me personally.  Now, I can joyfully watch from a distance as other collectors seek out their "Kamandi".

Click a couple times for full enlargement!  Berry inks.  1974.

Pronounced  ka  MAN  dee  ?

I still mourn the complete stories of Kirby Kamandi art I couldn't justify at $800 back in the old CBG days.

I also once had a non-Kirby Kamandi from #40something, but that did not have the same hold on me, and has found a new home.

Note to self reread the series.

Best, David

Image.jpg

Edited by aokartman
pic added

5 hours ago, sfilosa said:

10 underbidder is a lot. Would like to know some of those if you care to share.:$

I picked up a Michael Kaluta Lucifer cover. Wanted something from him and this is the time to buy (lots of options). He didn't leave much empty space on the cover :idea:.Paid more than I thought it would go for, but I had three pieces I was very interested and when you don't get the first two, the "bid again :devil:" has a lot of influence. 

A few of the underbids were:

John Byrne Foom

Hulk 300 page

DCCP 5 by Anderson 

Texeria Hulk 

Probably not the smartest to admit what you were gunning for and missed but eh you can’t always be mysterious about bids.

11 hours ago, sfilosa said:

10 underbidder is a lot. Would like to know some of those if you care to share.:$

I picked up a Michael Kaluta Lucifer cover. Wanted something from him and this is the time to buy (lots of options). He didn't leave much empty space on the cover :idea:.Paid more than I thought it would go for, but I had three pieces I was very interested and when you don't get the first two, the "bid again :devil:" has a lot of influence. 

Congrats!   I love Kaluta but I’ve never owned one.   Lmk what you think when you see it.   

I managed to win the one item I bid on, the Ericksen captain commando piece that was printed onto the back of mega man 2 and other boxes.     Wasn’t really planning on buying anything but I had been trying to get that piece from the artist for 10 years so I had to jump when he consigned it.

you mentioned earlier that Boris did well; I know they are asking more these days when you buy direct also (everything seems to start -and sell at - 8, 10, 15k ) so I think there is upward price pressure on his work in general.   People must be reading these threads :insane:

Edited by Bronty

12 hours ago, sfilosa said:

Congrats on the win!  Of the Kaluta covers HA has offered up this year, I think that one may be the nicest of the bunch.

9 hours ago, grapeape said:

Interesting 🤔 

Say what about Tradd with our very own Scott Williams to ink a bonafide reboot? I’d buy that comic and suffer a gut churning Felix drop for a chance at a page.

There was a gorgeous looking Kamandi reboot in the oversized Wednesday Comics about 10-15 years ago, with incredible art by Ryan Sook. I never actually got around to reading it, but I sure admired the art, which was completely different from the Kirby stylization and much more naturalistic and classically illustrative. It didn't move the needle much on Kamandi being relevant in the 21st century I'm afraid, so don't hold your breath on a new iteration (but thanks for the shoutout!).

9 hours ago, ronwlim said:

I love Kirby but never read Kamandi. I was the underbidder on the splash and it's just a nice piece of art... bold lines, great composition. I could care less that it was Kamandi or Silver Star. Just loved the actual artwork.

- Ron

Yeah, it was just a stellar example of Kirby art, so its appealing to collectors who are into art for arts sake (and Kirby art in particular). If character(s) is your prime art collecting motivator, than this particular splash is going to fly under your radar, no matter how good of an example it is.

I definitely appreciate the piece as art for art’s sake for what it is. So much going for it... but one and done? For Kirby? Nah! 

It does have cool Kirby henchmen and a neat Kirby-tech vehicle going on, but no Kirby crackle??? To me, that’d be the second dealbreaker for a one and done Kirby. Well that and knowing I was going to a c-list Kirby creation to get there, with how much other amazing Kirby is out there.

As Kirby Kamandi art goes, this is A+++ all the way. As a piece of work from this period, it’s super cool.

If that is someone’s sweet spot for Kirby, maybe this was all they ever really needed (but also how does that even happen? Got to Kamandi and stopped  reading Kirby there?) But IMO, someone that grabs this is doing it more likely as a notch in a belt with other Kirby on hand, or a placeholder/good as they can get for the $. 

IMO, anybody grabbing this is certainly not “done”. Maybe done with Kamandi... :)

Edited by ESeffinga

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

Yeah, it was just a stellar example of Kirby art, so its appealing to collectors who are into art for arts sake (and Kirby art in particular). If character(s) is your prime art collecting motivator, than this particular splash is going to fly under your radar, no matter how good of an example it is.

I read Kamandi for the first time recently.  It holds up, but also has a lot of ups and downs.  The art is just 5-stars, Kirby giving it his all, and there are a ton of clever touches that I really dig.  The DBB inks are a shame, but the Royer issues really sing.

Never read Kamandi as a kid. I remember glancing at the comics and thinking they were just Planet of the Apes ripoffs.  (I was a harsh kid. Unlike, of course, now, as I am sweet and gentle.) 

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 10.15.15 AM.png

15 hours ago, delekkerste said:

No need to add the "half-jokingly" qualifier when talking about Kamandi - if you're under 50 and are interested in Kamandi, chances are that you're just looking for any kind of Big Two Kirby art that fits in the budget, because few in that age group will have read the series and fewer still will have any genuinely strong affinity for the character.

I just picked up the Omnibus to finally read it. I'm 4 months shy of 49 ;)

That was two weeks ago. For some reason I haven't broken the shrinkwrap yet.

But that was a very nice splash! My prediction was $30k...somewhere on this board.

On 9/10/2020 at 1:02 PM, glendgold said:

If you're the high bidder or planning to be the high bidder eventually, thumbs up to you and all, but on a personal level I think Jack (you guys know I kinda like Jack's work, right?) forgot how to draw the Hulk the moment he drew the last page of FF 12.  Can't really think of another character whose model he so clearly forgot after that.  Also: faceless Thor.  But hey, that's just me -- if you love it, yay!

the TTA 62 Hulk  pinup is pretty sweet, which is after FF 12.

On 9/10/2020 at 5:00 PM, grapeape said:

The Avengers 52 splash sat stagnant at $20k on one of our esteemed dealer sites. -I would’ve asked the same if I owned it but nobody bit even with the popularity of the movie.( Avengers 52 BP joins the Avengers) I just checked and no longer available. Haha

Coming soon to an auction with hopes of cracking $100k?

Speculation is a helluva drug....

This Avengers 52 splash just sold this past week..LOL

On 9/11/2020 at 9:41 PM, batman_fan said:

I thought a lot of the art did quite well but some were on the lower side

Kirby ToS splash at $15.6k, on the low side I thought I saw it on a dealers site a while back but can't remember whose or the asking price.

Not Brand Echh cover at $38.4k, wow, that was a shocker for me.  Nice cover nut I thought it would go a lot lower

Sub-Mariner 36 cover at $16.8k, maybe a little lower than I would have thought.

Kamandi splash at $25.2k, higher than I hoped.  Sadly it won't be residing at my house :sorry:

1961 Peanuts strip at $33.6k was really high but great content. 

1970 Peanuts strip was okay at $16.8k.  I liked it but didn't love it.  Bowed out at $12k.

i had the kirby TOS splash on my site for 15k for years...traded it away for less a few years ago.

everything else sold for about right...

large art Marvel covers will ALWAYS sell for a premium.