The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

369 posts in this topic

714 posts
On 9/10/2020 at 1:02 PM, glendgold said:

If you're the high bidder or planning to be the high bidder eventually, thumbs up to you and all, but on a personal level I think Jack (you guys know I kinda like Jack's work, right?) forgot how to draw the Hulk the moment he drew the last page of FF 12.  Can't really think of another character whose model he so clearly forgot after that.  Also: faceless Thor.  But hey, that's just me -- if you love it, yay!

the TTA 62 Hulk  pinup is pretty sweet, which is after FF 12.

714 posts
On 9/10/2020 at 5:00 PM, grapeape said:

The Avengers 52 splash sat stagnant at $20k on one of our esteemed dealer sites. -I would’ve asked the same if I owned it but nobody bit even with the popularity of the movie.( Avengers 52 BP joins the Avengers) I just checked and no longer available. Haha

Coming soon to an auction with hopes of cracking $100k?

Speculation is a helluva drug....

This Avengers 52 splash just sold this past week..LOL

714 posts
On 9/11/2020 at 9:41 PM, batman_fan said:

I thought a lot of the art did quite well but some were on the lower side

Kirby ToS splash at $15.6k, on the low side I thought I saw it on a dealers site a while back but can't remember whose or the asking price.

Not Brand Echh cover at $38.4k, wow, that was a shocker for me.  Nice cover nut I thought it would go a lot lower

Sub-Mariner 36 cover at $16.8k, maybe a little lower than I would have thought.

Kamandi splash at $25.2k, higher than I hoped.  Sadly it won't be residing at my house :sorry:

1961 Peanuts strip at $33.6k was really high but great content. 

1970 Peanuts strip was okay at $16.8k.  I liked it but didn't love it.  Bowed out at $12k.

i had the kirby TOS splash on my site for 15k for years...traded it away for less a few years ago.

everything else sold for about right...

large art Marvel covers will ALWAYS sell for a premium.

184 posts

THE MOKF by Gene Day at $1920! Movie effect?

Powell's Witches Tales at $1560! Pre code horror page recognition!

1,934 posts
8 hours ago, romitaman said:

This Avengers 52 splash just sold this past week..LOL

Not surprised Mike. It’s a crazy market but super fun. Not for the weak of heart.

1,934 posts

Who the hell bought this? Sealed Pokémon Box Set Sells for World-Record $198,000   I mean c'mon man! You could've bought the Elias Chamber of Chills 19 cover and had $24k leftover for a nice frame!!! Good Grief  :facepalm:

Comic Art News: Sold-Out Comics & Comic Art Auction Brings $9.5 Million at Heritage Auctions

button1-share.gif

A milestone masterpiece painted by a legend. An early-days version of a familiar video-game title. A boxed collection of gaming cards sold for a world-record amount. Hundreds of comic book covers and interiors and other original pieces penciled by comers and legends alike. And a parade of titles stretching from the comic book’s infancy to its dynamic, evocative modern day.

That and so much more was offered during Heritage Auctions’ four-day Comics & Comic Artevent, which ran Sept. 10-13. And when the auction came to an end, the total prize realized was as awesome as the assortment presented: $9,509,226.
Just as remarkable was the number of bidders who placed bids for this auction via the Dallas-based auction house’s website throughout the event: almost 4,400.
“Of the 1,074 lots offered in the sale, not a single one went unsold,” said James Halperin, Co-Founder of Heritage Auctions. “That means we are bringing the right pieces to market at just the right time.”

The auction began with Frank Frazetta's painting The Princess of Mars (1970), one of the most identifiable and influential pieces of the artists' storied career, sold Thursday for $1.2 million. It was a remarkable and thrilling kick-off to Heritage Auctions' four-day Comics & Comic Art event.

Frazetta's Princess wasn't alone in smashing pre-auction expectations during the event's first session. Lee Elias' now-iconic artwork adorning the cover of Chamber of Chills No. 19 (Harvey, 1953), published in 1953, sold for $174,000 after a spirited round of bidding. That was almost twice its original estimate, and Page 9 from Journey Into Mystery (Marvel, 1968) No. 112 sold for $120,000 — no surprise, given the artists involved (the legendary Jack Kirby and his longtime inker, Chic Stone) and the characters (Hulk and Thor).

And John Buscema and George Klein's splash page for The Avengers (Marvel, 1968) No. 58 sold for $90,000. This piece came but two years after Black Panther's debut in the Jack Kirby-drawn Fantastic Four (Marvel) No. 52 in 1966, and marked the second solo splash featuring T'Challa. Buscema's pose, that of the Panther stalking his prey, would define the character for decades to come, in the comics and on screen as portrayed by the late Chadwick Boseman, felled Aug. 28 after a 4-year battle with colon cancer.

Buyers also snapped up milestone issues: A CGC VG+ 4.5 copy of Superman No. 1 (DC, 1939), sold for $348,000. The issue of Action Comics No. 7 (DC, 1938) that was central to the federal court case involving the copycat Wonder Man (Fox) sold for $204,000. And a copy of The Incredible Hulk (Marvel, 1974) No. 181 graded CGC NM/MT 9.8 realized $49,200.
Sealed Pokémon Box Set Sells for World-Record $198,000

A rare sealed Pokémon booster set broke a world record for the set during the first day of the event when it sold for $198,000. The Pokémon First Edition Base Set Sealed Booster Box (Wizards of the Coast, 1999) soared well past its pre-auction estimate of $80,000+ during the advance bidding before the auction's live bidding even began.

"Sets like this one, especially in such extraordinary condition and sealed in shrinkwrap, have become undeniable rarities,” said Jesus Garcia, Assistant Comics & Comic Art Operations Supervisor at Heritage Auctions. "The previous record, of $78,000, at Heritage Auctions was set in was set in February 2019. To see this result – more than doubling the previous mark – just shows the popularity and demand for these cards show no sign of slowing down.”

The first set ever made, this booster box comes from a very low print and includes 396 cards spread through 36 booster packs, each of which contains 11 cards. Because the set is unopened, it is likely that most or all of the cards are in Gem Mint condition.

5,582 posts
5 hours ago, grapeape said:

Who the hell bought this? Sealed Pokémon Box Set Sells for World-Record $198,000   I mean c'mon man! You could've bought the Elias Chamber of Chills 19 cover and had $24k leftover for a nice frame!!! Good Grief  

C'mon...man! Break value. That's a zero for the cover unless you pull out the scissors...a la "game used" trading card inserts :)

1,934 posts
2 hours ago, vodou said:

C'mon...man! Break value. That's a zero for the cover unless you pull out the scissors...a la "game used" trading card inserts :)

Hope they at least got a Pikachu card. 

2,599 posts
On 9/15/2020 at 2:54 AM, grapeape said:

Who the hell bought this? Sealed Pokémon Box Set Sells for World-Record $198,000   I mean c'mon man! You could've bought the Elias Chamber of Chills 19 cover and had $24k leftover for a nice frame!!! Good Grief  :facepalm:

button1-share.gif

I figured blowout cards or Dave and Adams. 

25,952 posts
2 hours ago, tth2 said:

Maybe it was Schrodinger.

It wasn't hard to see this price coming.   there had been increasingly large 'make an offers' up to 150k made through the HA site leading up to the auction.

I'm not into Pokemon cards but anything Pokemon and collectible right now is on fire.     Its 20+ years old now and very very successful so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.      Partly fuelled by MTG card collectors crossing over and seeing it as the next big thing in cards I think.

For all the talk of demographics applied to comics around here, it shouldn't be too hard to apply that to Pokemon..

Edited by Bronty

1,177 posts

Comics took decades to get to this point tho. Pokémon took what, an afternoon? :/

25,952 posts
11 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Comics took decades to get to this point tho. Pokémon took what, an afternoon? :/

There's always been people collecting it, it was just less newsworthy.    A similar box sold for 75k maybe a year and a half ago.

Money can definitely move faster with electronic trading, that's just how it is today.     Its why a pokemon box can triple in a year and why some garbage dollar bin book can be $100 overnight because of some third tier netflix show announcement.     Or why even a major GA key can double or triple in a year on 'news.'    None of that is the way it used to be, but its not 1995 any more.

And, let's be honest, that increased liquidity has led to increased speculation in all hobbies.    Hear about a netflix show announcement?   Buy 47 copies of the first appearance in a week on the internet.    Don't like that killing joke page?   No problem, sell it in an afternoon.     Tired of that pokemon box?    Dump it and buy something else, etc etc etc ad nauseam.    People aren't tied to their purchases for the length of time they used to be.    People also, on the flip side, have access to purchase items they think will take off in quantities not previously readily available.

The natural result of all that is things are cheap and then explode overnight.    There is no 'slow steady growth' model anymore.    

Edited by Bronty

2,589 posts
2 hours ago, Bronty said:

It wasn't hard to see this price coming.   there had been increasingly large 'make an offers' up to 150k made through the HA site leading up to the auction.

I'm not into Pokemon cards but anything Pokemon and collectible right now is on fire.     Its 20+ years old now and very very successful so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.      Partly fuelled by MTG card collectors crossing over and seeing it as the next big thing in cards I think.

For all the talk of demographics applied to comics around here, it shouldn't be too hard to apply that to Pokemon..

Just curious, do you know if the MtG player/collector base is going strong, or stagnant, or on the decline?  Still dabble once in a while...

25,952 posts
36 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Just curious, do you know if the MtG player/collector base is going strong, or stagnant, or on the decline?  Still dabble once in a while...

Prices took a dip about a year ago and have come back this year.    I don't follow it closely but I know that much. 

Lots of people still playing.

2,599 posts

MTG is still very strong. I go into shops and it’s always a major part of their floor sales. I’ve bought and sold it for years. It’s sad but I used to be a player and collector or Decipher games specifically Star Wars. I also did black border Star Trek. I wish I had put that money all into magic.

5,582 posts
6 hours ago, Bronty said:

No problem, sell it in an afternoon. 

That's the best part, not having to sell "whatever" for 30% of retail back to a dealer because there's no other consistent and direct collector network to sell into. Hate on eBay all you want (anybody here) but man, if you've got some "stuff" and need some fast cash to get a new radiator for the car...boom...in and out in a week, right? Likewise chat boards, if you're a bit more patient HA and CLink (er...not so much the others :), FB, etc, tons of ways to access liquidity directly and a deep haircut not necessary either. Good stuff!