• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

One bad injury, and millions in Modern value can vanish overnight.

The thing I don't understand about the prices being paid for Trout cards is that even if everything works out fine, where do you go from $3m?  Even if he does turn out to be everything some people think he is and not only goes into the Hall but wins every MVP award from now until his retirement, breaks the HR record and every other batting record in the book, and somehow suddenly turns into a winner who wins lots and lots of World Series, how much is $3m going to further appreciate? 

37 minutes ago, tth2 said:

The thing I don't understand about the prices being paid for Trout cards is that even if everything works out fine, where do you go from $3m?  Even if he does turn out to be everything some people think he is and not only goes into the Hall but wins every MVP award from now until his retirement, breaks the HR record and every other batting record in the book, and somehow suddenly turns into a winner who wins lots and lots of World Series, how much is $3m going to further appreciate? 

Because the superfractor auto is a unique card -- a 1 of 1 -- and the best of his 1 of 1s. If his accomplishments eclipse, say, Mantle, then a lot more than 3 mil is possible.  A Topps '52 Mantle went for 2.88 mil in 2018.  Among if not the highest graded, but still, far from unique in quantity produced.

Enough people with F you money would bid it up. But this only happens IF he goes down as baseball's Michael Jordan.  However, most don't see him winning multiple rings... one would be a miracle given the state of the Halos. Championships don't have quite the weight in stats-obsessed baseball as they may in the other major sports (see exhibit Ted Williams), but you ain't MJ without rings.

Edited by exitmusicblue

*And before MJ lovers rejoice too much... yes, he was a god.  But who's to say a better player won't come around some day who manages to snag 7 rings with better stats, esp. in this era of the superteam.

There's no guarantee in any hobby.  I used to (and still can) rag on Lebron so hard because a large part of his narrative in the cardboard world is fueled by value-fixated self-interest.  It's a zero-sum battleground.

To an extent, we see this in Marvel vs. DC, but I'd say the bluest chips in either camp are pretty much close to impervious to each other.

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

how much is $3m going to further appreciate? 

3 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Because the superfractor auto is a unique card -- a 1 of 1 -- and the best of his 1 of 1s. If his accomplishments eclipse, say, Mantle, then a lot more than 3 mil is possible.

There is where I've checked out on about fifteen other 'hobbies' since I began 'collecting' in 1981: when nobody actually wants to own the thing; instead the entire price structure is supported by The Greater Fool Theory. That highly speculative mindset, whenever I've found my own mind drifting toward that, I know: time to get out or never get in to begin with. Aside from ripping a few cheap fun packs, no sports cards since 1989/90. No floppy comics, aside from keeping a few runs current to 1996, since 1992, et al.

I wish everyone here the best, sounds like a bunch of you have done quite well with this too but...if everyone else disappears tomorrow...all that unopened 'product'...it's "what" to you? Probably garbage. Which is already what it is to me :)

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

Wow, so Gene is the go-to guy for x-rated comic art?  

Interesting! 

I like x-rated comic art lol    I don't mind adult books if well done, just like any other genre.   And the art from them tends to be cheap, so for my hobby dollars its not a bad proposition really.

Modern cards are hot for sure.    quality nintendo, sega and ps1 material is 2 to 10x what it was 1-3 years ago also.    Feels like things are doubling every six months atm.   (Of course certain comics are hot too - and its the ones you'd kind of expect given current demographics, right?   TMNT 1 is just en feugo - IIRC there was a make an offer on a 8.0 at 16k which was the 9.6 price recently).

A few quasi random examples just from heritage's make an offer database (paid amounts, dates, offer amounts):

Spyro The Dragon [Black Label] Wata 9.4 A+ Sealed PS1 Sony 1998 USA. ... $1,020.00 Nov 03 2019 $6,000 Pending
F-Zero (SNES, Nintendo, 1991) Wata 9.8 A++ (Seal Rating).... $1,080.00 Mar 17 2019 $3,000 Pending Sep 19 2020
Super Mario Bros. (NES, Nintendo, 1985) Wata 8.0 A (Seal Rating).... $1,800.00 Feb 23 2019 $7,501

Rejected    

Edited by Bronty

what's the record for % increase on a make an offer flip?  Is there any way to look that up?   12,000% has to be close I would think  (not mine but paid 286, sold 38,889, 12 year window).

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/don-punchatz-doom-gaming-magazine-cover-illustration-original-art-undated-/a/829-42402.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-Thumbnail-022817&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Edited by Bronty

4 hours ago, vodou said:

There is where I've checked out on about fifteen other 'hobbies' since I began 'collecting' in 1981: when nobody actually wants to own the thing; instead the entire price structure is supported by The Greater Fool Theory. That highly speculative mindset, whenever I've found my own mind drifting toward that, I know: time to get out or never get in to begin with. Aside from ripping a few cheap fun packs, no sports cards since 1989/90. No floppy comics, aside from keeping a few runs current to 1996, since 1992, et al.

I wish everyone here the best, sounds like a bunch of you have done quite well with this too but...if everyone else disappears tomorrow...all that unopened 'product'...it's "what" to you? Probably garbage. Which is already what it is to me :)

The Greater Fool Theory is rife in sports cards collecting.  Some of the cards are quite pleasing to the eye, but as with comics, would puzzle many who prefer the doe-eyed look of Ben Franklin. I checked out years ago when I stopped enjoying the hobby, and am left with a handful of high-end cards of my longtime favorites acquired on the cheap.  Phew.  

Viva OA and its community.  $$$ like a mofo, yes, and not at all cost-efficient with respect to nostalgia (a very good point by Gene), but it has the right ingredients to keep me going... not to mention endless room for exploration and learning.

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Modern cards are hot for sure.    quality nintendo, sega and ps1 material is 2 to 10x what it was 1-3 years ago also.    Feels like things are doubling every six months atm.   (Of course certain comics are hot too - and its the ones you'd kind of expect given current demographics, right?   TMNT 1 is just en feugo - IIRC there was a make an offer on a 8.0 at 16k which was the 9.6 price recently).

A few quasi random examples just from heritage's make an offer database (paid amounts, dates, offer amounts):

Spyro The Dragon [Black Label] Wata 9.4 A+ Sealed PS1 Sony 1998 USA. ... $1,020.00 Nov 03 2019 $6,000 Pending
F-Zero (SNES, Nintendo, 1991) Wata 9.8 A++ (Seal Rating).... $1,080.00 Mar 17 2019 $3,000 Pending Sep 19 2020
Super Mario Bros. (NES, Nintendo, 1985) Wata 8.0 A (Seal Rating).... $1,800.00 Feb 23 2019 $7,501

Rejected    

I think it was Metropolis / ComicConnect that raved about video games in this year's Overstreet Market Report. 

Impressive + not surprising considering the sheer # of gamers out there, and gaming's place in culture today...

6 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

I think it was Metropolis / ComicConnect that raved about video games in this year's Overstreet Market Report. 

Impressive + not surprising considering the sheer # of gamers out there, and gaming's place in culture today...

And whether people here like it or not, you could say the same about pokemon.   That's a massive entertainment property, so, to bring it full circle, that 200k pokemon card box really isn't that surprising either.   I think we forget or don't realize how big - see #1 spot on this list with 100 billion (with a B) in revenue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

13 minutes ago, Bronty said:

And whether people here like it or not, you could say the same about pokemon.   That's a massive entertainment property, so, to bring it full circle, that 200k pokemon card box really isn't that surprising either.   I think we forget or don't realize how big - see #1 spot on this list with 100 billion (with a B) in revenue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Meanwhile, Marvel:

In an alternate universe, they really ought to catalogue the tens of thousands of stolen/lost OA pieces, then send out search parties to try to claim what's rightfully theirs.  A sale of a handful of covers would eclipse that comic volume figure...

12 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Meanwhile, Marvel:

In an alternate universe, they really ought to catalogue the tens of thousands of stolen/lost OA pieces, then send out search parties to try to claim what's rightfully theirs.  A sale of a handful of covers would eclipse that comic volume figure...

Okay but you could say that about a lot of stuff (marvel especially, yes).   A friend of mine has a nice watercolor Pokémon OA he got for free from the artist just for asking  that he’s been offered 70k for.    

I believe the reason that comic volumes number is so low is because you’re looking at the marvel cinematic universe entry (marvel as a sum total of movies and other pursuits would have higher numbers).   So presumably that's only the sales of comics that relate to the movies somehow.   All the other comics presumably wouldn't be counted.

A wider scope ”marvel” as an entry wouldn’t make sense though because this is supposed to be individual franchises ... if you use “marvel” as a measuring stick than you have to use “Nintendo” as the comparison not “Pokémon” and then the info stops being as useful.   

arguably “marvel cinematic universe “ as an entry makes no sense either , but it’s just a wiki entry to prove a general point, and not life or death

Edited by Bronty

43 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

This thread is expanding into mysterious places...

Much like Gene perusing his Furry art!    :insane:

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Rejected    

I'll own up to being the guy who sold off most of his vidya-game stuff waaaay too early.  There are lot's of NES/SNES era games as well as PS1/N64 era stuff (including sealed games) that I sold on eBay years ago where I left tons of money on the table with the benefit of hindsight.  I was very skeptical of the graded game business early on and can remember even mocking it in some listings ("you can buy this one for $xx, encase it in lucite, then sell it to some sucker for three times as much"...).

I did well on it all, but so did the guy who bought AMZN after the dot com crash, then sold it all in '03-'04.

42 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

I'll own up to being the guy who sold off most of his vidya-game stuff waaaay too early.  There are lot's of NES/SNES era games as well as PS1/N64 era stuff (including sealed games) that I sold on eBay years ago where I left tons of money on the table with the benefit of hindsight.  I was very skeptical of the graded game business early on and can remember even mocking it in some listings ("you can buy this one for $xx, encase it in lucite, then sell it to some sucker for three times as much"...).

I did well on it all, but so did the guy who bought AMZN after the dot com crash, then sold it all in '03-'04.

That's too bad, but at least you did well with it.