• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

And whether people here like it or not, you could say the same about pokemon.   That's a massive entertainment property, so, to bring it full circle, that 200k pokemon card box really isn't that surprising either.   I think we forget or don't realize how big - see #1 spot on this list with 100 billion (with a B) in revenue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

This is why vintage Star Wars seems cheap when you do cross-field comparisons even after 20k Rocketfetts turned into 200k Rocketfetts in 5 years time. Those things are 40 years old, exist in low quantities, are iconic, tied to arguably the most popular character from a 70 billion dollar franchise, and yet late 90s Pokemon consumer product outsells a piece like this. Old guys like me see the ship has sailed. I wouldn't pay 20k then and certainly wouldn't consider 200k now. 

PS: what I just typed is how you do get a guy like me to pay the 200k because on paper it sort of makes sense. And so it continues...

Edited by cstojano

15 hours ago, cstojano said:

This is why vintage Star Wars seems cheap when you do cross-field comparisons even after 20k Rocketfetts turned into 200k Rocketfetts in 5 years time. Those things are 40 years old, exist in low quantities, are iconic, tied to arguably the most popular character from a 70 billion dollar franchise, and yet late 90s Pokemon consumer product outsells a piece like this. Old guys like me see the ship has sailed. I wouldn't pay 20k then and certainly wouldn't consider 200k now. 

PS: what I just typed is how you do get a guy like me to pay the 200k because on paper it sort of makes sense. And so it continues...

meh.   apples and oranges.   A full box of pokemon card packs is more like a case of the action figures, no?   

Also, when is the last time there was a good star wars movie?   1983?   :whistle:

Edited by Bronty

More to the point, those comparisons just don't work that well.   Everything is cheap compared to Francis Bacon, Van Gogh, and 1/1 basketball cards, apparently.

One can say "hey that rocketfett is cheap compared to amazing fantasy 15" 

Or one can say "hey that rocketfett is a lot of money for a doll." ;)

Its all about perspective but ultimately the perspective of those paying up is all that matters.

Edited by Bronty

15 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Sorry for the off-topic thread derailment, but, since the Sep HA auction is done and dusted, I feel like it's not as bad. :foryou: 

Just wanted to give people a sense of how nutty the sports card market has gotten in 2020 and why nothing surprises me in OA anymore, because the real craziness is happening elsewhere.  

Here's how white-hot box prices are these days.  Look at the prices I actually paid for these boxes on Feb. 20 (pre-lockdown) vs. where they are now:

2018-19 Topps Chrome Premier League Soccer Hobby Box - paid $33 on Feb. 20.  Now - $150

2018-19 Topps Champions League Chrome Soccer Box - paid $75 on Feb. 20.  Now - $1,000 per box if you buy a 12-box case

2018 Topps Finest Champions League Soccer Hobby Box - paid $60 on Feb. 20.  Now - $325

2017-18 Topps Champions League Museum Collection Box - paid $80 on Feb. 20.  Now - $321 per box if you buy a 12-box case 

I pre-ordered some of the 2019-20 Topps Champions League Museum Collection boxes for $100/each back in early March (just before the lockdown).  They still haven't even been released yet (the Champions League Final was delayed by about 3 months), but, the price is now $400/box. :whatthe: 

Your chance of recouping your outlay from pack/box ripping at these prices is very close to zero (unfortunately I ripped all of the above and much more). That said, due to the relative dearth of graded soccer cards, I suspect that people are willing to pay up for raw product to be among the first to market with graded examples that will sell for stupid prices, even if they're pretty ho-hum cards (I remember when a Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #15 CGC 9.8 sold on eBay for stoooopid money back in the very early days of CGC, just because 9.8s were rare at the time.  Same thing is happening with PSA 10-graded soccer cards, even the plentiful "base" cards, of star players).  So, maybe it's less irrational than it seems. 

But, still...most soccer card boxes have roofed 300-400%+ over the past 7 months.  It's totally nuts.  Baseball hasn't been as hot, but, 50-100% price jumps on boxes have been the norm.  Panini/Donruss has been releasing higher-end sports card boxes brand new at up to $800/box and they sell out within minutes and re-sell for a premium in the after-market immediately.  I just saw this morning that pre-order prices for Panini's upcoming Prizm (NFL) Football set is $949.95 per box. The market is absolutely molten now, people can't get enough product so the manufacturers are being rational actors and giving them what they want.

It's crazy to see collectible markets like comics and baseball cards rise and fall, too. Baseball cards were hot stuff in the 80s, then fell to nothing in the 90s, but I guess they're hot again. I dunno. I only buy cheap singles and a few new packs each season because I'm goofy and like to make a notebook of "my" players from my fantasy teams. LOL