• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, sfilosa said:

Maybe. Also, both a lot of Kaluta and Murphy Anderson work has been released lately. This auction has 27 pieces that Anderson worked on, and off course none are Marvel. Nor are the 7 Kaluta pieces. Those artist have also been filling up a lot of their weekly auctions. I think the supply of quality material is drying up a bit. And this is based on a conversation with Joe Mannarino (who I think called a lot of people including myself in May to discuss selling art), a lot of the art over the past few years was his collection. I have to believe there isn't much left (but that I don't know). 

But two points that really matter:

* Doesn't really matter how much artwork they have in an auction. Matters do they have something you want. If I win one piece it's still a successful auction and if they had twenty pieces I wanted, I still at best would get 3-4 at the most. The only difference is that you feel (and this might be a mistake), the more pieces, the better chance that the piece you want sells for a little less (more supply keeps the prices down).

* They do seem to have more "complete stories" for sale than usual. They could in theory have broken those up and sold them over several auctions and therefore had more individual pieces.

Good luck to everyone!

That’s quality intel. A lot of complete stories changed hands and came to auction pre 2000. Also a lot of pre hero art like Kirby Monsters, etc. We’ll be seeing more of that lot come to market after 20 + years.

I’m happy with the offerings. If you’re a seller it’s probably nice to feel the focus is perhaps trained a bit more on your consignment. 

I agree with sfilosa  Heritage (and C-Link) still offering enough art to keep us excited. Comic Connect had some nice stuff up there on today’s new thread.

Cheers and go win something. Or sell something. 

🍇 + 🦍 

19 hours ago, sfilosa said:

Two different statements. My bad.

* Lots of Kaluta and Anderson art has been released. In Kaluta's case by him, and in Anderson by his estate? (or whoever bought a lot of it, not sure).

* Mannarino came on board awhile ago, and has been selling a lot of his collection in the auctions (that's what he told me). Speculation on this, but that is probably why he works for Heritage now (instead of All-Star Auctions his own previous company).

From what I have seen, much of the Kaluta is not of high interest, and some of that has been reflected in the sales price.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:20 PM, IngelsFan said:
On 7/27/2020 at 2:49 PM, ShallowDan said:

Thanks for the thread - the July one was getting past it's expiration date.  There was quite a bit of talk there concerning the Chamber of Chills #19 cover.  I'm very curious to see where that one ends up.  Does anyone know what the current record is for a non-EC pre-code horror cover?  

Offhand I’d say the cover to Weird Mysteries 4, hammering at $33,460 in 2013.

As of this morning, with three weeks still to go, the Chamber of Chills cover is already at $55K ($66K all-in).  Anyone up for a guess on the final hammer?

6 minutes ago, vodou said:

That's serious. I was pegging this at around 65k when it first popped up a while back. Way off!

I know that in comic art its the final or nothing, but these prelims look to have been really well bought.   The color piece is terrific.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/warren-kremer-chamber-of-chills-19-cover-preliminary-concept-sketch-original-art-group-harvey-1-total-/a/7027-92299.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bronty

9 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I know that in comic art its the final or nothing,

Not to me!

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

these prelims look to have been really well bought.

$2100 in 2010 was still a lot of 'hobby' money...the opportunity cost there, quite high.

11 minutes ago, Bronty said:

The color piece is terrific.

Yes. All those Warren Kremer color prelims were great. I kept getting outbid, over and over, never got a one. I remain... :(

Just to add that while this auction doesn't have as many pieces, less then a month later they have the European Comic Art auction with more pieces in it than this one. And many of the pieces aren't European at all. Not sure of the rationale behind this auction being called "European". Does anyone know? Did they do the live auction over in Europe the other times, but can't because of COVID this time? Or is it just because they have a lot of European art (but by no means all).

Time to bump. I have my eye on three or four things I would really like to own for my collection. Probably another 10 items that at the right price, I could be interested in (and yes, they are still in that "right price range" which means nothing at this time).