• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I think it’s a great image but that mat is a real eyesore.   When the art is already bright like that you don’t need a bright mat

I imagine the mat was to blend with the cover? I like it but yeah Bronty I would love to see this one with a black border.

Kick A art though not H8ing it at all♥️

🦍+ape

58 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I think it’s a great image but that mat is a real eyesore.   When the art is already bright like that you don’t need a bright mat

Yes...strip that out and it's way better..

1423427985_Lobonoborder.jpeg.392f18b27e327f9fa72055d60d36f0bf.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Bronty said:

yes that's good.   I'm no longer blinded by the orange.

🍊 —— 😱 ——👀 —-🔥 ———-😎 

:preach:  my eyes,,,,,,my eyes........

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

This one really caught my eye.  I have been wanting a nice Kirby Kamandi splash for a while and I haven't seen a Kamandi splash come up for a while.  Anyone have a thought on where it might land?

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 7.48.57 PM.png

$28 K

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

:cry:  That's P-Nutz territory

A Kamandi splash Was probably $2-3K tops for this quality when I started looking for Kirby art. Hell I have a catalog somewhere with a Ditko Spidey At 3 K and a Romita four PANEL page for $900......Talk about 🥜 🥜 

1 minute ago, grapeape said:

A Kamandi splash Was probably $2-3K tops for this quality when I started looking for Kirby art. Hell I have a catalog somewhere with a Ditko Spidey At 3 K and a Romita four PANEL page for $900......Talk about 🥜 🥜 

I can't go back and look at old catalogs.  I end up crying too much.

8 hours ago, Bronty said:

That’s really nice.   

Very.

8 hours ago, grapeape said:

$28 K

Me: 20-30k.

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

:cry:  That's P-Nutz territory

For a weak one. This is a very strong late Kirby, much rarer than "a" P-Nutz ;)

6 hours ago, grapeape said:

Everything was cheap then, except what had already been run up in the 70s and 80s. As long as you bought some, and better "plenty" of anything not run up - and held - same difference today. The ratios haven't moved too much. It took x5-x10 of what I was buying then to get x1 of this, and that ratio is still there today. What I got "instead" I could easily trade x5-x10 (really much, much closer to x5 now, so that's in my favor ;) ) back in for x1 of this. But, I love the stuff and when you already have the fastest horse in the race...do you swap down to 2nd or 3rd favorite, already lagging back too, while the race is being run? (Answer: probably not.)

For those not in that position, willing to spend at this level - great splash. No reservations. My preference from this Kirby period is a tight six panel actiony page, too much action all crammed into each panel (most know what this means, I think?), I'm holding out for the right one of those, but this splash...oh, mighty tempting to just grab on a cash basis!

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Very.

Me: 20-30k.

For a weak one. This is a very strong late Kirby, much rarer than "a" P-Nutz ;)

Everything was cheap then, except what had already been run up in the 70s and 80s. As long as you bought some, and better "plenty" of anything not run up - and held - same difference today. The ratios haven't moved too much. It took x5-x10 of what I was buying then to get x1 of this, and that ratio is still there today. What I got "instead" I could easily trade x5-x10 (really much, much closer to x5 now, so that's in my favor ;) ) back in for x1 of this. But, I love the stuff and when you already have the fastest horse in the race...do you swap down to 2nd or 3rd favorite, already lagging back too, while the race is being run? (Answer: probably not.)

For those not in that position, willing to spend at this level - great splash. No reservations. My preference from this Kirby period is a tight six panel actiony page, too much action all crammed into each panel (most know what this means, I think?), I'm holding out for the right one of those, but this splash...oh, mighty tempting to just grab on a cash basis!

I remember securing art from a collector/seller many moons back. “When you get tired of it bring it back. I’ll get you in to something else.” I’ll never forget those words. Get tired of it?

I don’t get bored of art. I tend to hold on to it for a long time. I recognize there is a segment of collectors who have a persistent fever of the “i’ve gotta have it” variety. Before they’ve had a chance to frame their July auction buy they’re looking to move it for something in the September auction.

As a family man there were times I sold art to meet a need. Overall I’ve kept my collection in tact and the appreciation value is tremendous. Patience pays off.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:53 PM, batman_fan said:

This one really caught my eye.  I have been wanting a nice Kirby Kamandi splash for a while and I haven't seen a Kamandi splash come up for a while.  Anyone have a thought on where it might land?

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 7.48.57 PM.png

Holy Sh*t. That is simply the number 1 Kam splash. It's going to surpass any previous comp.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:20 PM, Bronty said:

I like the matting in the context of this piece. Yes, it is loud, but so is the coloring in the artwork. And the subject matter is raucous, too. If it were candy, it would be like Skittles. So, going with the theme and coloring works for me. Making it serious takes away from the entertaining loudness of the piece. By the same token, I wouldn’t hang it with a bunch of black and whites in the living room. More likely, the entertainment room, near the pool table, if there is one.