• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often are books being “disassembled” in our hobby???
3 3

53 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, 42-39-56 said:

Pressing is altering a book to make it look better using a machine, heat, and humidity. That's 100% restoration in my book.

Noobs, don't be fooled! The "non-additive" definition of restoration is CGC propaganda. Overstreet never subscribed to that definition until CGC twisted their arm. CGC needed to change the definition so their CPR revenue stream could flow smoothly.

CGC also needed to “fix” books that suffered from SCS at the outset of encapsulation.

On 7/27/2020 at 10:42 PM, Tony S said:

CGC addresses their stance on this in the post below about defects caused by improper pressing. First sentence. Disassembly by itself is not considered restoration. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3982/pressing-defects-disassembly/

Very interesting...  

On 8/2/2020 at 8:43 AM, Lurker89 said:

I'd love to read the preeminent thread on the pressing debate if anyone has a link to thread handy.

I believe the one that you are looking for would be the Manufactured Gold thread which is the granddaddy of them all.  :gossip:

Since my Search ability is rather limited, you would need one of the other boardies such as @MasterChief to hunt it down for you who is the expert when it comes to these types of things.  :applause:

On 8/3/2020 at 8:10 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

Skilled pressers are great. Amateurs who leave comics looking like they've been sat on by the Blob, not so much.

Since we are only on these boards as a guest, has your mother never taught you that it is not in good form to speak ill about your hosts in their own home?  :devil:  lol

On 8/1/2020 at 2:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I guess I just held higher hopes for humanity than this. Which more and more I have come to realize just is not the case.

Taken from the movie The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao:  "I was like you once, a long time ago. I believed in the dignity of man. Decency. Humanity. But I was lucky...I found out the truth early. There is no such thing as the dignity of man. Man is a base, pathetic, vulgar animal..."  

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe the one that you are looking for would be the Manufactured Gold thread which is the granddaddy of them all.  :gossip:

Since my Search ability is rather limited, you would need one of the other boardies such as @MasterChief to hunt it down for you who is the expert when it comes to these types of things.  :applause:

The Manufactured Gold thread is currently on page 1761 of the Comics General forum (when sorted by "start date").

CGC Forum pages are dynamic, meaning the page number will change as new threads are created/updated on a daily basis, thus pushing the MG thread deeper into the abyss and to a higher page number.

The topic forum page with MG listed is linked below. Although the thread is locked, the creation date, number of replies, number of views, and the thread itself is readable.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/8-comics-general/page/1761/?sortby=start_date&sortdirection=desc

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

4 hours ago, MasterChief said:

The Manufactured Gold thread is currently on page 1761 of the Comics General forum (when sorted by "start date").

CGC Forum pages are dynamic, meaning the page number will change as new threads are created/updated on a daily basis, thus pushing the MG thread deeper into the abyss and to a higher page number.

The topic forum page with MG listed is linked below. Although the thread is locked, the creation date, number of replies, number of views, and the thread itself is readable.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/8-comics-general/page/1761/?sortby=start_date&sortdirection=desc

Appreciate the linkage fellas, interested in the debate..... Holy 129 pages Batman!!!!

Question as I begin reading this manufactured gold tome. (I've bookmarked and will get through it, it's already great 5 pages in. People are irate :ohnoez:)

In the current pressing process at CGC is a solvent used or is it just steam?

Another question for the people on the pressing is restoration side of things, do you consider disassembly restoration? Do you consider replacing staple with in age staples resto? Just curious as to where some people are drawing lines.

Disassembly and reassembly of the same complete comic without detection sounds easy enough, but disassembling a comic to swap or replace covers or pages seems more difficult if the staples aren’t in the exact same spot for both books

On 7/29/2020 at 2:31 PM, MasterChief said:

In her article The Restoration of Comic Books: 1982-2002, noted restoration expert Susan Cicconi wrote: “I truly feel that once you remove staples from a comic book, you are altering the book; therefore, I would consider this restoration. ...Noticing that staples have been removed from a comic book will always open a book up to suspicion as to whether anything else may have been done to the cover or interior pages.”

In 2006, the Manufactured Gold thread presented two particular cases dealing with disassembly. One was a prepositional study to a bonified example. The latter drove a response by then CGC President and Primary Grader, Steve Borock.

The links to these two cases, and the responses by Borock, are below.

More Fun Comics #71

Sensation Comics #35

Steve Borock Response #1

Steve Borock Response #2

Susan herself and a few other pressers often disassembles a book for pressing.
(Depends on the book, I've seen it more common with Golden Age books)
Its not as easy of a trick as it may sound. I would assume any improvable high dollar book has had this happen to it.

Centerfold reattachment is also more common than people think.

Overall its been a commonplace in the market for many years.

Edited by Rip