• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi I’m new to this and I have a few questions
2 2

5 posts in this topic

Hello, could someone please answer a few questions?

1. What is a “grading credit”? I’m considering getting the mid tier subscription and that seems to be the only difference from the $25 starter tier. 
2. What is the difference between “modern”, “value”, etc. Do I need to actually know the value of the comic I’m sending in? Does that really make a difference in the cost of grading?

3. Is this process as simple as buying the sub and sending in the comics?

thanks for your time

Welcome! Relative Newbie myself but hopefully I can share some helpful info. 

The grading credit is applied to your submission invoices until it's used up. Let's say you submit $400 worth of submissions; you would get $150 off the first submission. If you submitted a single signature series comic at say, $70, you'd use $70 of that $150 and still have more left to apply to the next submission. I think the credit does not apply towards and pressing services or shipping fees. 

The modern versus value type tiers- you have choices on how to submit your comics. The choices available impact how long it takes to grade and get them back versus how much it costs to grade. At the membership tier you mentioned, it'll cost $18 for grading each modern comic with no extras such as custom labels or fast track. It'll cost less if you go with the highest membership level. Definitely consider how many submissions you intend to make over the course of a year to see which one makes the most sense for your needs. 

The value of the comic- this is how much you are choosing to have your submission insured for while it is in CGC's care, basically. A couple of consuderations: you can put in a copy of a very common low value comic for $10 or you could put it as $175 (modern submissions value up to $200). If something happened to your comic while with CGC that's what you'd be reimbursed. The thing to remember is the higher you put that value, the higher your return shipping costs will be due to the insurance CGC will have for it. For me, I try to think about what it would cost me to replace that particular comic and use that as a ball park- a harder to come by variant I might put at $50, but maybe only $15 for a comic that would be relatively easy to replace.  The exception to this is that CGC will adjust your invoice for comics that are grossly undervalued (like you tried to submit an Ultimate Fallout #4 in the modern under $200 tier whrn it regularly goes for much more than that.

For the most part, yes it's that simple. Some things to think about are that you have to submit at least 25 if you want prescreen services (you want them to only slab the ones that will grade at a point you determine or higher, such as 9.4 or higher and send any that didn't make the cut back to you raw. They charge you some per reject but not as much as the cost of the slab. Sending 25 per tier (not a mix of tiers or services because they will all ship separately) will also save you the most on shipping as that is the maximum amount of slabs they will send in a box. For my first submission I only sent 15 because it felt more manageable but I think I'll stick with batches of 25 sent less frequently from now on.

Hope it helps!