• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

handling comics

20 posts in this topic

I see CGC videos of them handling comics and they're  not wearing gloves (not sure of their specific olicy, there just individual videos)

I don't though I do wash my hands first.  I wish I had done that as a kid when I first bought them 

For moderns I wear gloves as I tend to fingerprint/smudge books easily.  I think it has to do with the fact that the inks are so fresh, and they haven't cured totally?  On older books from the CA and before I have way less problem just handling them with freshly washed hands and tend to not see any type of fingerprinting happen.  

1 hour ago, gradejunky said:

For moderns I wear gloves as I tend to fingerprint/smudge books easily.  I think it has to do with the fact that the inks are so fresh, and they haven't cured totally?  On older books from the CA and before I have way less problem just handling them with freshly washed hands and tend to not see any type of fingerprinting happen.  

Only modern im gonna be buying these days is Hell boy and Walking dead series should i wear gloves for these?

4 hours ago, csaag said:

I see CGC videos of them handling comics and they're  not wearing gloves (not sure of their specific olicy, there just individual videos)

I don't though I do wash my hands first.  I wish I had done that as a kid when I first bought them 

i been washing my hands whenever i bag and board my comics 

On older books I wouldn’t wear glove. Clean hands are all ya need. 

Newer glossier books, I have yet to leave a fingerprint on one with clean hands and I’ve tried for personal interest. If my hands are dirty from eating then going outside and doing some exercise and then I touch a comic, I can leave a fingerprint. So even here washing hands is good enough. 

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

On older books I wouldn’t wear glove. Clean hands are all ya need. 

Newer glossier books, I have yet to leave a fingerprint on one with clean hands and I’ve tried for personal interest. If my hands are dirty from eating then going outside and doing some exercise and then I touch a comic, I can leave a fingerprint. So even here washing hands is good enough. 

This.

29 minutes ago, PleaseDontTouch said:

Ok, just so you know, CGC won't validate the signature. Unless you're trying to sell it I'd say slabbing it is a waste of money.

And believing what the seller says has caused the creation of  many a thread here lol

gonna sell it later on most likely when i get older

I think I've heard once or twice that the oils in your fingers can begin to re-emerge in as little as 20 minutes.  Regardless, if you're handling books for an extended period of time, you may have need to repeat the hand-washing routine.

When I handle my trades and hardcovers, I like to use a paper napkin in the hand I'm using to cradle the book's spine.  Then I carefully turn pages' edges with the other, bare hand.  Just a habit I've formed -- I try to avoid much direct fingertip contact with the pages' and covers' surfaces.  I only break out my white "film editor's" gloves on rare occasions.

Edited by EC Star&Bar