• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plastic or Cardboard box

9 posts in this topic

Im starting to collect more comics and I’m gonna ask I’m buying a new AC in my room and keep all my comics in my closet in my room would you say to spend the little extra and buy plastic boxes designed for comics or cardboard boxes still i mainly have bronze, some silver and gonna be getting modern

im also gonna be buying CGC slabbed comics is there a better box for these to keep them perfect  

If your raw books are stored properly (bagged and boarded, preferably Mylites) it does not matter if you use plastic or cardboard since the book will never physically touch the box.

If you are going to be constantly lifting/moving/transporting the boxes then plastic will hold up better, I have been using standard cardboard storage boxes since I found them in the early 80's.

If you are afraid of a destructive event such water leaking from a pipe/roof, rodents, etc then I would assume plastic will help in a situation like that, basically it will come down to personal preference.

As far as graded books, you will need separate boxes for those due to size.

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/graded-comic-book-box

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

If your raw books are stored properly (bagged and boarded, preferably Mylites) it does not matter if you use plastic or cardboard since the book will never physically touch the box.

If you are going to be constantly lifting/moving/transporting the boxes then plastic will hold up better, I have been using standard cardboard storage boxes since I found them in the early 80's.

If you are afraid of a destructive event such water leaking from a pipe/roof, rodents, etc then I would assume plastic will help in a situation like that, basically it will come down to personal preference.

As far as graded books, you will need separate boxes for those due to size.

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/graded-comic-book-box

Sounds good thank you

Plastic boxes suck to pick up and move as they have a tendency to dig into your hands and this compounds if you move a whole lot of boxes at once.  I once bought a collection in plastic boxes and my helpers said it was the last show if I kept using plastic boxes.  Through I guess they could have worn gloves.

8 minutes ago, Blackmassangel said:

What temp would be the best?

There's a bunch of threads in this forum that go over this.  Not only temp but humidity and keeping a constant temp is most important.  Feel free to use the search bar in the forum to find info.  There's tons around if you do some digging and I pulled a few for you.

The 3 important factors for comic storage are "cool, dry, and dark."  Generally the cooler the better.  You will be storing those in your home however, so in very cold climates, you can't have temps so cold that your water in your plumbing pipes could freeze (and potentially burst a pipe).   If you are comfortable in the room year-round, that's often a good sign that the conditions are okay.

1 hour ago, EC Star&Bar said:

The 3 important factors for comic storage are "cool, dry, and dark."  Generally the cooler the better.  You will be storing those in your home however, so in very cold climates, you can't have temps so cold that your water in your plumbing pipes could freeze (and potentially burst a pipe).   If you are comfortable in the room year-round, that's often a good sign that the conditions are okay.

Not really so i found an Ac and dehumidifier in one and im gonna get that i believe so i can change the degrees and humidity in one