• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to acquire an All-Star 8
3 3

89 posts in this topic

Someone posted in another thread -

If I had $50K, I'd buy All-Star #8. That's the whole point... I don't have $50K.

- after earlier posting this -

Shares of CGC? This many...

slabvault.jpg

,,, on one side of the aisle.

Seems to me there are more than enough opportunities to acquire an All Star #8 in that half of the photo.

20 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What if All-Star #8 is my 1,001st most favorite comic?

I've clearly acquired the first 1,000... and now I need my 1,001st.

Well let's see... If it is your 1001st favorite and 1001st in value on your list then you clearly can afford it because you have already purchased 1000 other books for more.

If it is your 1001 favorite but it is more valuable than any single of the other 1000 than you sell and trade the other 1000 to acquire it knowing you can repurchase any of the other 1000 down the road.

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:
24 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What if All-Star #8 is my 1,001st most favorite comic?

I've clearly acquired the first 1,000... and now I need my 1,001st.

Well let's see... If it is your 1001st favorite and 1001st in value on your list then you clearly can afford it because you have already purchased 1000 other books for more.

If it is your 1001 favorite but it is more valuable than any single of the other 1000 than you sell and trade the other 1000 to acquire it knowing you can repurchase any of the other 1000 down the road.

Are you suggesting that my collecting goals should be in order based on the value of the books and not the contents of their pages?

:whatthe:

HERESY!  HERESY IN THE GOLDEN AGE CATEGORY BY BEDROCK CITY!  HERESY OF HERESIES I TELLS YA!

:devil:

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Are you suggesting that my collecting goals should be in order based on the value of the books and not the contents of their pages?

:whatthe:

HERESY!  HERESY IN THE GOLDEN AGE CATEGORY BY BEDROCK CITY!  HERESY OF HERESIES I TELLS YA!

:devil:

Not at all. I am saying your collecting goals should have some basis in what you can afford, and the books you have already acquired should always be a part of that equation. By not making them part of the equation you would lose valuable opportunities to acquire books that couldn't simply be had by digging in your pockets for lunch money.

Just now, MrBedrock said:

Not at all. I am saying your collecting goals should have some basis in what you can afford, and the books you have already acquired should always be a part of that equation. By not making them part of the equation you would lose valuable opportunities to acquire books that couldn't simply be had by digging in your pockets for lunch money.

But I have reached the point, in my collecting goals, where I have obtained all higher ranked books on my want list, and I'm now seeking some opportunity to satisfy at least a portion of the remaining want list despite the fact that almost all of them are too expensive to purchase outright. 

It would make no sense to sell any higher ranked books (much less several) from my list in order to "trade down" to a lower ranked book at a high cost. 

Therefore, my collection is either complete and I am done in this hobby, or I have dollars that are not being spent to meet my needs as a customer. 

Since vendors typically want dollars, and typically want customers, it seems that the correct type of vendor will do quite well if they can supply what I am looking for instead of 100% ownership in comic books that I cannot afford.

Namely... I am seeking legal ownership in a portion of otherwise unobtainable comic books with a 24/7 (or I would settle for daily) digital trading window converting my partial ownership into cash and vice versa, similar to owning shares of a company I could never own 100%.

If the worst companies on the planet have found a way to meet their customers needs and take their money through the stock market, I believe the best companies in the comic book industry will have no problem figuring out how to do the same.

14 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

When the art for the cover of Action 15 came up in Heritage I decided to make a run at it knowing I couldn't afford it. I had recently finished putting together a run of Fantastic Four 1 - 60 all in CGC 9.0 or better. I figured I could sell those and use the money for the Action 15 cover. My reasoning was that I could always put together another high grade run of Fantastic Four but I might never have a chance to get the cover art again. Flash forward six years. The FFs have all gone up in value tremendously but they are all available.

The cover however will never be available again.

Plus, one of those you can deduct on your taxes as "marketing supplies" :baiting: 

17 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I had recently finished putting together a run of Fantastic Four 1 - 60 all in CGC 9.0 or better.

OK. I'm sure that this will be considered out of line, but how do you (and others) afford to put together these high-grade runs? I shudder to think how much you run cost. Probably more money than I have earned in my entire lifetime (I was a teacher, but at least I have a great pension). Are you a doctor, a lawyer, a CEO, or did you get a large inheritance? If you consider this question to be inappropriate, just say so and don't answer it. I just don't understand how people can have that much money to spend on comics. Fantastic Four #1 in 9.0 alone is $260,000!

2 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

OK. I'm sure that this will be considered out of line, but how do you (and others) afford to put together these high-grade runs? I shudder to think how much you run cost. Probably more money than I have earned in my entire lifetime (I was a teacher, but at least I have a great pension). Are you a doctor, a lawyer, a CEO, or did you get a large inheritance? If you consider this question to be inappropriate, just say so and don't answer it. I just don't understand how people can have that much money to spend on comics. Fantastic Four #1 in 9.0 alone is $260,000!

MrBedrock is https://www.bedrockcity.com/

Just now, adamstrange said:

It was not always, thus.  Many folks started early on their collecting journey and chose wisely, enabling them to accumulate significant value in their collection over time.

Good point. I don't know why this didn't occur to me.

22 minutes ago, valiantman said:

But I have reached the point, in my collecting goals, where I have obtained all higher ranked books on my want list, and I'm now seeking some opportunity to satisfy at least a portion of the remaining want list despite the fact that almost all of them are too expensive to purchase outright. 

It would make no sense to sell any higher ranked books (much less several) from my list in order to "trade down" to a lower ranked book at a high cost. 

Therefore, my collection is either complete and I am done in this hobby, or I have dollars that are not being spent to meet my needs as a customer. 

Since vendors typically want dollars, and typically want customers, it seems that the correct type of vendor will do quite well if they can supply what I am looking for instead of 100% ownership in comic books that I cannot afford.

Namely... I am seeking legal ownership in a portion of otherwise unobtainable comic books with a 24/7 (or I would settle for daily) digital trading window converting my partial ownership into cash and vice versa, similar to owning shares of a company I could never own 100%.

If the worst companies on the planet have found a way to meet their customers needs and take their money through the stock market, I believe the best companies in the comic book industry will have no problem figuring out how to do the same.

If I answer this conundrum for you will you promise not to move the goalposts?

16 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:
40 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I had recently finished putting together a run of Fantastic Four 1 - 60 all in CGC 9.0 or better.

At the time I put the run together (2010 - 2013) the FF 1 9.0 ow cost me $97,000. The next most expensive book was the #5 in 9.4 for $45,000. They started to drop off from there. The whole run cost me, a humble comic shop owner, around $240,000.

Edited by MrBedrock

7 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I am sure votes will come in on both sides, but which would you rather have

1) A run of Fantastic Four 1 - 60 all CGC 9.0 or better off-white or better

OR

2)

action15cover.jpg

I would take the Action (and try to squeeze out a lower-grade FF #5 as well, b/c it's my favorite).