• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to acquire an All-Star 8
3 3

89 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Last sold for $286,800 in February 2014.  So, if you decide to sell it for $500,000, then my $500 investment will be $50, right?  That's how I'd lose 90%.

Let's see how I would gain 90%... you'd just need to sell it for $9,500,000, which is only +3,200% higher than the previous sale. 

This is a tough one.  Looking at my options, I think I'd rather have $500 invested in ANY of the RallyRd CGC-graded comics at +20% over market price, since that's 1,623% lower than your markup.

Sorry, I'll have to pass.  It was a tough call.  Yes, I know I'll be kicking myself when you sell that Action Comics #15 cover for $9.5M and I could have made $450.

But again you miss the point that you are trying to make. It is all about the joy of ownership. There is no other way for you to add it to your collection. If you want to own a piece then buy a piece. But don't plan on making any money because I don't ever plan to sell it.

Just now, MrBedrock said:
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Last sold for $286,800 in February 2014.  So, if you decide to sell it for $500,000, then my $500 investment will be $50, right?  That's how I'd lose 90%.

Let's see how I would gain 90%... you'd just need to sell it for $9,500,000, which is only +3,200% higher than the previous sale. 

This is a tough one.  Looking at my options, I think I'd rather have $500 invested in ANY of the RallyRd CGC-graded comics at +20% over market price, since that's 1,623% lower than your markup.

Sorry, I'll have to pass.  It was a tough call.  Yes, I know I'll be kicking myself when you sell that Action Comics #15 cover for $9.5M and I could have made $450.

But again you miss the point that you are trying to make. It is all about the joy of ownership. There is no other way for you to add it to your collection. If you want to own a piece then buy a piece. But don't plan on making any money because I don't ever plan to sell it.

The RallyRd system you've derided has a +20% premium for the joy of ownership.  That's not "all about the joy of ownership"... that's +20% about the joy of ownership.  If I get even +21% joy of ownership out of it, then I'm getting my joy at a 4.76% joy discount.  (Percents of percents are awesome!)   Your offer is +1,643% premium for the joy of ownership, and I just don't believe i'll get the necessary +1,725% joy of ownership I'd need to match the 4.76% joy discount currently available in the RallyRd structure.  I presume you're still making monthly payments to the previous owner of the Action Comics #15 cover as part of a joy of ownership installment plan?  Or did you pay the +1,725% premium you're suggesting that I would also feel up front?

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

I am sure votes will come in on both sides, but which would you rather have

1) A run of Fantastic Four 1 - 60 all CGC 9.0 or better off-white or better

OR

2)

action15cover.jpg

fantasticfour1.jpg

I would enjoy the FF run more, but I understand the one-of-a-kind chance to own the OA cover to Action 15. (thumbsu

10 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I agree. If that Action 15 is like me waiting for you to get me a low grade Marvel 1 than that book is with you for life.:whistle:

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The RallyRd system you've derided has a +20% premium for the joy of ownership.  That's not "all about the joy of ownership"... that's +20% about the joy of ownership.  If I get even +21% joy of ownership out of it, then I'm getting my joy at a 4.76% joy discount.  (Percents of percents are awesome!)   Your offer is +1,643% premium for the joy of ownership, and I just don't believe i'll get the necessary +1,725% joy of ownership I'd need to match the 4.76% joy discount currently available in the RallyRd structure.  I presume you're still making monthly payments to the previous owner of the Action Comics #15 cover as part of a joy of ownership installment plan?  Or did you pay the +1,725% premium you're suggesting that I would also feel up front?

All I am doing is offering you a chance to say you own part of it. If you don't want to, no worries at all. Just trying to accommodate you.

I would take the Action cover all day, I love that cover anyway, to own the OA is something most of us can only dream of, nice one Mr B (worship)(worship)(worship)

I am complete with FF, not in 9.0 I hasten to add, my #1 is a 4.0 and I paid $500 for it a long time ago ( the most I had paid for a book at the time) and a fair price, my #5 is very unique and didnt cost too much compared to todays values.

I dont sell anything, but I will swap you Mr B if you ever have any regrets and feel the need :roflmao:

15 minutes ago, woowoo said:
27 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I agree. If that Action 15 is like me waiting for you to get me a low grade Marvel 1 than that book is with you for life.

Low grade Marvel 1's have completely disappeared from the market. I don't think they exist. Sorry Harold.

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

All I am doing is offering you a chance to say you own part of it. If you don't want to, no worries at all. Just trying to accommodate you.

You've established 1/10,000 of the Action Comics #15 cover at $500.  That's $5,000,000 valuation. 

What if we compromise, and I raise the valuation while lowering the cost of entry? 

I'll pay you $10 for 1/1,000,000th ownership in the cover?  I'll send you $10 and a little document to sign that states I do own 1/1,000,000th of the cover.  You retain 99.99999% ownership and 100% of the control/housing of the book. 

I get nothing but the signed document and that joy of ownership I'm seeking.

Deal?

OR

2)

action15cover.jpg

Definitely the Action #15 cover. The FF has always been an overrated title that became irrelevant in the early 70s. 

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You've established 1/10,000 of the Action Comics #15 cover at $500.  That's $5,000,000 valuation. 

What if we compromise, and I raise the valuation while lowering the cost of entry? 

I'll pay you $10 for 1/1,000,000th ownership in the cover?  I'll send you $10 and a little document to sign that states I do own 1/1,000,000th of the cover.  You retain 99.99999% ownership and 100% of the control/housing of the book. 

Deal?

Your math is impeccable. Your brains are not.

49 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
58 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Deal?

Your math is impeccable. Your brains are not.

You can't spare 0.00001% joy at a markup of 3,387%?

I'm not worried about my brains.  They're around here somewhere.

Edited by valiantman

Since you started this thread I’ve been thinking about the joy of stealing it.

So when are you away from home and at work again?

:nyah:

32372383-58F7-44F7-80E0-2CBF762A1625.gif.9b6c59814687401502690f2fab8408f8.gif

Edited by N e r V

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

When the art for the cover of Action 15 came up in Heritage I decided to make a run at it knowing I couldn't afford it. I had recently finished putting together a run of Fantastic Four 1 - 60 all in CGC 9.0 or better. I figured I could sell those and use the money for the Action 15 cover. My reasoning was that I could always put together another high grade run of Fantastic Four but I might never have a chance to get the cover art again. Flash forward six years. The FFs have all gone up in value tremendously but they are all available.

The cover however will never be available again.

I think I speak for the rest of us when I say please buy more  high end one of a kind OA and sell off bits of your collection to the rest of us to fund it.

We’ll all enjoy our collections more this way.

Edited by szav

Not at all. I am saying your collecting goals should have some basis in what you can afford, and the books you have already acquired should always be a part of that equation. By not making them part of the equation you would lose valuable opportunities to acquire books that couldn't simply be had by digging in your pockets for lunch money.

I’m glad you sell stuff every now and then.  

10 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Since you started this thread I’ve been thinking about the joy of stealing it.

So when are you away from home and at work again?

:nyah:

32372383-58F7-44F7-80E0-2CBF762A1625.gif.9b6c59814687401502690f2fab8408f8.gif

lol

Low grade Marvel 1's have completely disappeared from the market. I don't think they exist. Sorry Harold.

Wasn’t there a 0.5 and 1.0 up for auction in the last year ?   What grade was your pedigree copy ?

OR

2)

action15cover.jpg

fantasticfour1.jpg

Are we still playing?  

As much as I would love the FFs, that Action 15 is once in a life time. You gotta go for it when you have the chance.