• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to acquire an All-Star 8
3 3

89 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I am sure votes will come in on both sides, but which would you rather have

1) A run of Fantastic Four 1 - 60 all CGC 9.0 or better off-white or better

OR

2)

action15cover.jpg

fantasticfour1.jpg

I don't know what you told your wife, but that would be hard to sneak into even my house...:roflmao:

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:
4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I am sure votes will come in on both sides, but which would you rather have

1) A run of Fantastic Four 1 - 60 all CGC 9.0 or better off-white or better

OR

2)

action15cover.jpg

fantasticfour1.jpg

Are we still playing?  

As much as I would love the FFs, that Action 15 is once in a life time. You gotta go for it when you have the chance. 

Playing?  I assumed he was really offering it to us.  I'll take the OA.

People ask me what they should collect and my response is what do you like? 

More often than not they are asking what do you think something is going to be worth in ten years. (Random number) 

I tell them if your buying something  because you really have an appreciation for it that you can't go wrong whether it goes up or down in value. 

If your buying for investment purposes then buy the best blue chip items you can afford that have an established value within the medium and has shown stability and growth over time. Those are not always keys or secondary keys. Not everyone can afford a FF 1 but maybe you can afford a 5, 48, 52, or just a 73. If it is a 73 try to buy the best copy possible as higher grades sell for premium even with random numbers. The others are pretty much liquid in any condition. 

And here's a breakdown of the 73 someone put on YouTube.

Lots and lots of great Kirby with a little Romita here and there.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I don't know what you told your wife, but that would be hard to sneak into even my house...:roflmao:

It's hanging in the office. :gossip:

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

When the art for the cover of Action 15 came up in Heritage I decided to make a run at it knowing I couldn't afford it. I had recently finished putting together a run of Fantastic Four 1 - 60 all in CGC 9.0 or better. I figured I could sell those and use the money for the Action 15 cover. My reasoning was that I could always put together another high grade run of Fantastic Four but I might never have a chance to get the cover art again. Flash forward six years. The FFs have all gone up in value tremendously but they are all available.

The cover however will never be available again.

That's because he is leaving it to me in his will and I have no plans on dying, ever.

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Low grade Marvel 1's have completely disappeared from the market. I don't think they exist. Sorry Harold.

I am pretty sure there was one for sale on the boards within the last year

and to answer your question the Action cover all day every day and twice on sunday.- According to GPA there are 29 live listings for FF1 right now. and they only track CGC cpies available - Finding specific vintage desirable OA available for sale you want is like finding a needle in a haystack during a tornado with 1000 other people looking in the same place.

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

But again you miss the point that you are trying to make. It is all about the joy of ownership. There is no other way for you to add it to your collection. If you want to own a piece then buy a piece. But don't plan on making any money because I don't ever plan to sell it.

This, exactly.  Imagine if someone started an "investment vehicle" where you could own tiny percentages of Picassos, Rembrandts, and Degas paintings.  What's the point?  Frankly, the idea is so detached from the actual purpose of art that it's kind of stomach-churning to me.

By the way, I've always admired that move you pulled to take down the Action 15 cover.  Inspiring.  It reminds me of something a friend and I have discussed.  The books that I had to stretch way outside what would have been rational are the books that I'm most glad that I did.  Even 10-12 years later.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

It's hanging in the office. :gossip:

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Probably a lot of stuff happening in that office she isn’t aware of...hm

3D5DE383-B2FF-4D2E-AA74-FE5CCE620CCE.gif.934a6ace58fb0800763b5950d6a13ac0.gif

E46F31F4-225D-4F66-9D81-B3D0A736B223.gif.4dd37d9a77c1f143e41f3714560035ba.gif

EC72C8F7-569F-49CF-88D0-015C61C5B7D8.gif.c3e7f4c0b8e713e1748a52f4aa5191bf.gif

41D6F68C-82F1-4312-9461-A6D4156A4ADF.gif.fa8654cfe7c3d364c588c59bb9e03901.gif

6 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

How did you figure $260K?

I looked at the price for a 9.0 at GoCollect. On GPA, the last sale was $161,325, but that was in November, 2017. I think that it is safe to assume that the value of FF #1 has increased since November, 2017. Maybe not 100K, though.

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I looked at the price for a 9.0 at GoCollect. On GPA, the last sale was $161,325, but that was in November, 2017. I think that it is safe to assume that the value of FF #1 has increased since November, 2017. Maybe not 100K, though.

Oh yeah that’s the problem with Gocollect, on books they don’t have recent sales on it’s just an arbitrary number. I’m not sure if they have some sort of algorithm, but either way it’s just a pure guess on their part. There’s a Fantastic Four #1 CGC 9.0 available at the moment for $245K and it’s been sitting on the sellers website for a few months now. At auction I wouldn’t be surprised if a 9.0 would sell for closer to $200K, maybe even slightly less. Truthfully, Fantastic Four #1 has softened up a bit on sales since 2017 and 2018. So now wouldn’t be the best time to let a 9.0 go at auction regardless. Best to wait until they’re entered into the MCU and hype is at an all time high.

Edited by LDarkseid1

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

And GPA is wrong. The last sale, which GoCollect actually mentioned was in 2018 on ComicLink.

E0EC540C-CD53-4191-917E-3EC2C800A1FE.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

I understand the conference table was custom made to exactly fit rows of slabs 6 across and 10 rows deep with a little room at the end for tastey beverages on coasters of course.

Cause that's how they dos it deep in the heart of Texas!

Edited by Dr. Love

13 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

The books that I had to stretch way outside what would have been rational are the books that I'm most glad that I did.  Even 10-12 years later.  (thumbsu

This!