• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics in box

11 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Blackmassangel said:

I have boards i kept in a comic box to keep the comics up so they dont fall over and some of the boards are curved now should i be worried about the comics or do you think its fine?

If the boards are curved now then they’re not serving the function you placed them there for.  Are the comics starting to fall over or bow?  

Sounds like the boxes aren't actually full so they are sliding and bowing from the weight/pressure of the other books.  Are the boxes actually full?  I'd recommend putting pieces of cardboard in the front and back of the box to stabilize it a little more.  Cut pieces out of a USPS box to size.

One thing I've done in the past (only as a short term solution) is place several layers of backing board on one end of the box and then stand it up on it's end so it's erect like a pe...err, skyscraper.  I also alternate my books front to front, back to back, otherwise the staple side is thicker than the flip side of the books.  Alternatively, depending on how many books are in a box, just lay them flat until you have enough books to stand them.  Or stand the books normally and then lay a 100 pack of boards on it's side preventing the books from sliding or falling over.

12 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Sounds like the boxes aren't actually full so they are sliding and bowing from the weight/pressure of the other books.  Are the boxes actually full?  I'd recommend putting pieces of cardboard in the front and back of the box to stabilize it a little more.  Cut pieces out of a USPS box to size.

they are not full 

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

One thing I've done in the past (only as a short term solution) is place several layers of backing board on one end of the box and then stand it up on it's end so it's erect like a pe...err, skyscraper.  I also alternate my books front to front, back to back, otherwise the staple side is thicker than the flip side of the books.  Alternatively, depending on how many books are in a box, just lay them flat until you have enough books to stand them.  Or stand the books normally and then lay a 100 pack of boards on it's side preventing the books from sliding or falling over.

that sounds like it would damage the comics like the skyscraper 

1 hour ago, Blackmassangel said:

that sounds like it would damage the comics like the skyscraper 

Yeah, when I say I've done it temporarily, I mean a week at most.  Under most circumstances, i'll lay a stack of books flat to prop up the rest.  Or like I said, I'll use a full stack of 100 backing boards to serve the same purpose.  The skyscraper method is more so if I'm waiting for a new order of backing boards to ship.

I generally collect small boxes from work or things I order for home and use them to fill in the blank space in boxes that are not full.  Sometimes will put a backing board between the last comic and the first filler if the filler is smaller than a comic.

So if you guys are still interested i started using movie cases or xbox 360 game cases and putting those in the box and its been keeping the comics straight without any damage or putting pressure on the spines but im also putting a few boards in front of the comics before i put the games in just to be safe 

Edited by Blackmassangel