• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ENOCH BOLLES ....and other fine Pin-Up art
3 3

104 posts in this topic

There's been a seller on eBay who has been cashing in with the Bolles Breezy Stories covers, and boy did he wait until the right time.:flipbait:

Of the two I thought to myself I had to have if they ever came up, one I under shot my snipe on,  and the other which just closed last Monday I ended up passing on in the end :insane: ,

while I dont mind a nice presenting low grader , there was just too much staining on the image of the girl (and she was wearing white which made it stand out even more) And with Bolles, it's all about the girl.

I'll probably end up regretting it 

Edited by sagii

1 hour ago, sagii said:

There's been a seller on eBay who has been cashing in with the Bolles Breezy Stories covers, and boy did he wait until the right time.:flipbait:

Of the two I thought to myself I had to have if they ever came up, one I under shot my snipe on,  and the other which just closed last Monday I ended up passing on in the end :insane: ,

while I dont mind a nice presenting low grader , there was just too much staining on the image of the girl (and she was wearing white which made it stand out even more) And with Bolles, it's all about the girl.

I'll probably end up regretting it 

You'll regret it. 

I almost passed on the Siren issue I just posted, due to the staple rust transfers, but I don't see tons in grade. That one has a Fay Wray feature in it, not too long after King Kong ... I wouldn't mind finding a reader or an online resource, if there is such a thing, where It is scanned. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, HRCostigan said:

Bolles covers for me include the one that got away, and are therefore bittersweet.  After strike three over a decade of being the underbidder on a Cupid's Capers book at 1K, 2K+, and 4K+, I had to give it up.  

Which one would that be ? 

Someone on here may stumble across it and tip you off. GOD BLESS....

8 hours ago, Scrooge said:

1772150285_FilmFun-March1942.thumb.jpg.c3bb4462379974a9b55b95fd2067ee0d.jpg

I'll go ahead and quote myself. JimJum's thread had me pull out Illustration Magazine # 9 with the bio of Bolles by Jack Raglin who runs the Enoch Bolles Blog and I enjoyed revisiting that article today. Then more time spent reading the blog. Tons of great information in there with more details that couldn't fit in the Illustration article including this entry that shows the photo that inspired the cover above - https://enochbolles.blogspot.com/2009/04/hula-hoot.html

You can peruse freely a low-res copy of the Sold Out issue of Illustration Magazine here - https://issuu.com/illomag/docs/ill9?e=1289036/4462796

Edited by Scrooge

On 7/28/2020 at 9:44 PM, jimjum12 said:

While many of the titles on which Enoch Bolles provided covers aren't technically Pulps, he still deserves a thread here, IMHO .... A lot of his work appeared on film and "girlie" mags... and his work is mostly affordable and impeccably well done. This one was on my want list for a while. GOD BLESS....

FILM FUN 1934 ...CGC 8.0 (2).jpg

That one is STILL on my want list. Being a motorcycle inthusiast and collector of motorcycle stuff, that one is top of that run for me. 

Just waiting for the right copy at the right price.