• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 245 (1982) & subsequent letters
1 1

21 posts in this topic

A lady friend just read Byrne's FF245 and had some remarks about Byrne's treatment of Sue.

I am curious if the letters page in a subsequent issue addresses her thoughts.

Could someone please post pics of the letters page concerning FF245?  

Thanks!

Edited by TupennyConan

Could Byrne have been criticising the attitude of Lee and Kirby towards Sue Richards, and that it was outdated and time for a change?  It’s basically describing their characterisation.

Perhaps the early FF issues should’ve been read as well to get fairer context for that conversation?

Edited by Ken Aldred

23 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Could Byrne have been criticising the attitude of Lee and Kirby towards Sue Richards, and that it was outdated and time for a change?  It’s basically describing their characterisation.

Perhaps the early FF issues should’ve been read as well to get fairer context for that conversation?

Very interesting.

She's reading Byrne FF Omnibus V1 and hadn't read FF before.

She felt Byrne shifted the blame to Sue and away from the writers; which I told her meant Stan.

She was unhappy with Byrne for doing this to Sue.  

She was defending Sue against Sue's creators. I found that fascinating. It raises interesting issues about art and imagination and reality and so forth. 

It also indicates how real Byrne, one of the creators, had made Sue in her imagination or as she put it: she was invested in Sue. 

I'm curious what the letters might say about this issue.

I'll pull my OO books on Friday if I have to research this item myself.   

35 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

OR it could be a response to the total tool that Reed Richards was for most of the Bronze Age.

5 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

OR it could be a response to the total tool that Reed Richards was for most of the Bronze Age.

Sexist tool, that is.

Byrne did start to make her more independent throughout his run, especially after her miscarriage, she was recognised as being the most powerful member of the team, and renamed herself The Invisible Woman.

Spoiled, of course, by his decision to write a mind-controlled dominatrix storyline, Malice, which was pushing his luck.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Spoiled, of course, by his decision to write a mind-controlled dominatrix storyline, Malice, which was pushing his luck.

The really bad hair. 

For all his flaws - including the ones my friend attributed to Byrne [and his predecessors] - JB's FF run contributed in a significant way to my adolescent love for comics and has given me lifelong joy.   

Comics are lifelong joy. 

3 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

It was a great era of FF.

A long, consistently well-written and well-drawn run.

Edited by Ken Aldred