• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago — moved again, now Oct. 15-17, 2021
4 4

104 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

Five short months away! :wishluck: that the vaccine rollout goes smoothly and we can actually have a show!

Vaccine roll-out hasn't been all that smooth so far, though Illinois has been decent. I'll probably skip this one out of an abundance of caution and hit up C2E2 in December as my triumphant return to Chicago Cons.

19 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

Vaccine roll-out hasn't been all that smooth so far, though Illinois has been decent. I'll probably skip this one out of an abundance of caution and hit up C2E2 in December as my triumphant return to Chicago Cons.

Things here in my corner of Texas seem to be going ok. The health department is going a steady stream of over-65s each day. I am growing more optimistic that we will see case counts and deaths dropping in the near future.

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

Things here in my corner of Texas seem to be going ok. The health department is going a steady stream of over-65s each day. I am growing more optimistic that we will see case counts and deaths dropping in the near future.

I think things are overall looking good...I'm mostly just so paranoid that end of June is still too early for me to be, like, totally sure. When I first go back to shows, I want to immediately act like it's 2019 again, and won't feel like that in June I don't think.

3 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

I think things are overall looking good...I'm mostly just so paranoid that end of June is still too early for me to be, like, totally sure. When I first go back to shows, I want to immediately act like it's 2019 again, and won't feel like that in June I don't think.

I doubt I will feel like that in June even after I am vaccinated. I fully anticipate having to wear a mask, hand sanitizing like a madman, and social distancing. But for me the ability to get back to a show, especially this one, is just too much of a draw to resist.

30 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I doubt I will feel like that in June even after I am vaccinated. I fully anticipate having to wear a mask, hand sanitizing like a madman, and social distancing. But for me the ability to get back to a show, especially this one, is just too much of a draw to resist.

Yeah that's fair, and I just don't want to do that in June. Maybe if I still feel like that when Baltimore and C2E2 roll around I'll do it anyway, but for June I'm willing to wait it out.

Food for thought. 

For multiple spots.
We have set times and locations, park as far from front doors, 
 go order food so they can't say we aren't customers (who very often eat in parking lot.)
We just pull a table out and put boxes on them and have lets say 1-2 hours and dig through boxes and eat. Anyone other than dealers have to show proof of purchase from food establishments in order to rummage through boxes. Management gets potentially lots of business and free advertising. Alert media and create a new phenomena. And different sites different cuisine. Gino's, Frannies, German restaurant, etc.

We keep  everything within a few mile radius of each other. Revenue to different places equals happy faces.

people can decide which food option works best for them and show up, order and dig for funny books. 

Thinking outside the box 📦 

IMG_0082.JPG

4 hours ago, SSkufan said:

Well I was thinking about attending this as the June dates work nice for my schedule, but in looking at their website I noted it states that it is now happening August 27 - 29.   Oh well maybe next year .  .  .

Well they're losing out on you, but maybe gaining me, since the new dates make it more likely I attend.

On 2/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, SSkufan said:

Well I was thinking about attending this as the June dates work nice for my schedule, but in looking at their website I noted it states that it is now happening August 27 - 29.   Oh well maybe next year .  .  .

WTF

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Wizard Chicago moved to same weekend as Fan Expo Canada (Toronto) but since the USA border may still be closed by then, no border hopping by comic collector/dealers, media or comic book guests.

We don’t know when and if the Canada/USA border will stay closed until to July/August. Last what I understand was that it is closed until end of March, then government may review again to keep it closed further longer.

Not that it matters to me with Wizard Chicago as I can’t go there ... but the food and comics swap does sound great. 

21 hours ago, Fan Boy said:
23 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Wizard Chicago moved to same weekend as Fan Expo Canada (Toronto) but since the USA border may still be closed by then, no border hopping by comic collector/dealers, media or comic book guests.

We don’t know when and if the Canada/USA border will stay closed until to July/August. Last what I understand was that it is closed until end of March, then government may review again to keep it closed further longer.

Not that it matters to me with Wizard Chicago as I can’t go there ... but the food and comics swap does sound great. 

I was totally ignorant of this. So you are saying you can't drive across the border (as you would have to if lugging boxes of comics), but it's cool to fly across? Or can't cross at all?

And is this restriction from both Canada and USA or one-sided? Meaning, are you free to go to the USA but then can't come back?

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

I was totally ignorant of this. So you are saying you can't drive across the border (as you would have to if lugging boxes of comics), but it's cool to fly across? Or can't cross at all?

And is this restriction from both Canada and USA or one-sided? Meaning, are you free to go to the USA but then can't come back?

The land borders going both ways are closed to essentially everyone except commercial traffic like truckers.

Americans driving up to Alaska are allowed in but there have been numerous situations were they were lying and used the opportunity to vacation in Canada.  I think they have tightened up this loop holes.

You can still fly to and from Canada and the US but it is supposed to be for essential travel but just say some aren't really essential travel.

If you fly to the US from Canada and back, currently there are 2 week quarantine rules both ways so it will not be practically at this time.

There have been stories of Canadian snowbirds shipping their cars down to the US and taking a short flight over so they can drive to Florida.

47 minutes ago, greggy said:

The land borders going both ways are closed to essentially everyone except commercial traffic like truckers.

And also medical workers as essential employees expemtion from blocking across the border ... both ways

57 minutes ago, greggy said:
2 hours ago, manetteska said:

Americans driving up to Alaska are allowed in but there have been numerous situations were they were lying and used the opportunity to vacation in Canada.  I think they have tightened up this loop holes.

You can still fly to and from Canada and the US but it is supposed to be for essential travel but just say some aren't really essential travel.

If you fly to the US from Canada and back, currently there are 2 week quarantine rules both ways so it will not be practically at this time.

There have been stories of Canadian snowbirds shipping their cars down to the US and taking a short flight over so they can drive to Florida.

In Canada are those 2-week quarantines closely monitored? I cannot speak for all of the US but where I'm at it's basically an honor system of staying inside/away during that time.