Back to the Future Universal Special #NN BY HARVEY COMICS IS THE TRUE FIRST APPERANCE IN COMICS OF BACK TO THE FUTURE.
3 3

315 posts in this topic

339 posts

Hi everyone this is my first thread

I have started this Topic today on Back to the future. This is because I am really annoyed that everywhere I seem to look, back to the future one of the most iconic films in History second only to star-wars doesn't seem to get the recognition that it truly deserves in comics. All I see is people thinking that Back to the future #01 Nov 1991 by harvey comics or even worse IDW 2015 Back to the future #01 is back to the futures  first appearance. Well all I can say is all you have to do is clearly look at the inside cover  of the special edition or little easter eggs left in adverts and it says that the  back to the future cartoon is coming in september yes it gives no offical date other than 1991 but where it says the adventure continues its clearly stating it carries of from this comic which it did which means that the special came out before september which is clearly before nov 1991 when issue #1 came out.

However there is the back to the future magazine that came out in 1985 and a fan magazine that came out in 1990 that doesnt have any comicstrips as far as im aware in them.

Most people as far I have researched that can 100% confirm the true date have sadly passed however there is a colorist still alive called Dwayne duffy that is possibly the only person that could give the month it was sent out. Or if you was a kid and you was handed this out at universal and you can remember then that helps this question.

If anyone can prove otherwise 

Ccg should update there records to show there first appearance for back to the future as back to the future #nn 1991 printed at some point before september 1991 by harvey comics..

Thoughts?

IMG_20200729_161924.png

Screenshot_20200729-161559.png

11,343 posts
Posted (edited)

A few more clues to help us out...

The Harvey Comics logo on the top left from the Universal Studios book is the same as the cover of Back To The Future #1. 

image.png.376ab7329790739ccc34daa239f823cb.png1369206001_300.jpg

Did they re-use the BTTF #1 cover in the Harvey logo?  That would imply BTTF #1 was earlier.

The top of the Universal Studios book says "The Adventure Continues..." while the top of Back To The Future #1 says "The Adventure Has Only Begun!"  That seems like BTTF #1 is earlier, and "Continues..." in the Universal Studios book.

While it's true that the Universal Studios book says "Premieres September on CBS!" the advertisement on the back cover of Back To The Future #1 is for Problem Child 2 "coming soon to a theater near you" - that movie was released July 3, 1991.

1369206001b_1200.jpg

I think it's safe to say that the Universal Studios book was released prior to September 1991, but it would also be true to say the Back To The Future #1 was prior to July 3, 1991, even though the book is dated November 1991.

The one with the earlier advertisements is BTTF #1 (by at least two months), so the Universal Studios book might have been produced between BTTF #1 and BTTF #2 or between BTTF #2 and BTTF #3.

The back of Back To The Future #3 has an advertisement for Fievel Goes West "Coming This Thanksgiving" - released November 1991, so it's safe to say Back To The Future #3 was released prior to November 1991 even though the book is dated March 1992.

For whatever reason, it's looking like Harvey was putting these books out five or six months before the dates listed on/inside the books.

Edited by valiantman

25,683 posts

Is there interest in BTF comic books?   I am not up on the latest news as to what is currently desirable.

1,718 posts
On 7/29/2020 at 11:38 AM, Jaraven7 said:

back to the future one of the most iconic films in History second only to star-wars

Umm, have you seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?  

204 posts
51 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Umm, have you seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?  

...or Borat??B|

giphy (3).gif

5,981 posts
1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Is there interest in BTF comic books?   I am not up on the latest news as to what is currently desirable.

I can't imagine why there would be. It's a great movie franchise, but why the :censored: would anybody care about the comics? (shrug)

5,981 posts
7 hours ago, valiantman said:

The top of the Universal Studios book says "The Adventure Continues..." while the top of Back To The Future #1 says "The Adventure Has Only Begun!"  That seems like BTTF #1 is earlier, and "Continues..." in the Universal Studios book.

The US book is a promo for the cartoon, in which the adventure (begun in the movies) continues.

25,683 posts
2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I can't imagine why there would be. It's a great movie franchise, but why the :censored: would anybody care about the comics? (shrug)

Well that’s exactly what I asked, I just tried to be more tactful lol

5,981 posts
13 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Well that’s exactly what I asked, I just tried to be more tactful lol

I'm just sick of people hyping every random non-comic property that a comic publisher licensed at some point. "First appearance in comics" is likely zzz

What was the first t-shirt or mug? :idea:

11,343 posts
13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
20 hours ago, valiantman said:

but it would also be true to say the Back To The Future #1 was prior to July 3, 1991, even though the book is dated November 1991.

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=106922

The back cover should say "COMING SOON TO A THEATRE NEAR YOU IF YOU USE THE DELOREAN AND GO BACK TEN WEEKS". 

22,803 posts

According to research done on Mike's Amazing World of Comics, Back to the Future #1 was reported as shipping July 2nd, 1991 and hit newsstands on August 6, 1991.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.51.26 PM.png

11,343 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Prince Namor said:

According to research done on Mike's Amazing World of Comics, Back to the Future #1 was reported as shipping July 2nd, 1991 and hit newsstands on August 6, 1991.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.51.26 PM.png

The other link above (also from Mike's) doesn't specify the newsstand as August (and the photo is direct edition):

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=106922

Makes sense that the direct edition would be prior to July 3, 1991, but exactly one day doesn't give much time for "Coming Soon To A Theatre Near You", unless they're talking about all those little towns that never got first week movies. :grin:

Edited by valiantman

54,096 posts
Posted (edited)

How did old Biff return to a timeline that no longer existed in BTTF 2?  HMMMMM??????
Marty 2 who grew up with famous author dad and new truck goes back to 1955 are we supposed to believe he would react in the same fashion as Marty 1?  What abt Martys 3,4,5,6 etc??  HMMMMM?
Eventually a Marty would slip up (probably Marty 2) and never been born because he wiped out that timeline then the entire closed time loop would implode.

Edited by kav

5,981 posts
51 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The other link above (also from Mike's) doesn't specify the newsstand as August

It's all there. Look closer. :gossip:

11,343 posts
2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
3 hours ago, valiantman said:

The other link above (also from Mike's) doesn't specify the newsstand as August

It's all there. Look closer. :gossip:

Magnifying glass!  How 1990s shock jock radio website of them.  :kidaround:

54,096 posts
2 hours ago, october said:

I'd rather own this book than a copy of Alf Sodomizes a Seal. 

Ah yes the infamous ASAS issue-

339 posts

Wow so many commets and so many mixed views,we have all done are research but the only way to definetly confirm a specific month is evidence through rather universal studios as the comic was handed out there or through a representative that worked on the comic from harvey. There seems to be a common back and forward confusion in all the comics it just annoys me if it did actually come out before #1 and its going down in history that it didn't ,it also annoys me that I see idw 2015 back to the future comics going for #1k plus on ebay and all these before don't seem to be any value and for anyone to say that back to the future wasen't an iconic film must not of lived through the 80s it was more popular than star wars in the 80s the only reason star wars is more popular now is because of continuous movies and tv shows.