• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on grading my Ultimate Fallout 4

10 posts in this topic

Long story short, last year I bought a very nice copy of Ultimate Fallout 4 at a comic book show at a very low price.  My guess is that with a press I would probably get at least a 9.4 or 9.6.  I will never assume a 9.8. 

However, the book is signed by artist Sara Pichelli.  I did not personally get the auto, so it doesn’t hold any personal value to me, and of course was not witnessed by CGC.  I’m looking for opinions on if you all would grade the book, knowing that it will come back with a green label?  

I can’t find any previous green label sales of the book on eBay to compare to.  From a pure monetary standpoint, am I just better off keeping it raw?  Right now I’m leaning towards grading it just to preserve the condition, and I figure it likely wouldn’t end up being worth any less than just keeping it raw. 

Appreciate any opinions from other collectors on this and what you would personally do. Thanks! 

59 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

If you know the signature is legit,  maybe consider a grading company that validates unwittnessed sigs? 

That’s certainly an option but like most of the community, I really prefer CGC, and since these are CGC boards, I was avoiding that option altogether. Really just curious on opinions on grading it with the green label CGC or leaving it raw. 

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you want a blue label, you could always ask for it, and treat the signature as a defect.

Can you elaborate?  Do you mean I can ask CGC for the blue label but then the signature would just lower the grade? 

2 minutes ago, RyanP1121 said:

Can you elaborate?  Do you mean I can ask CGC for the blue label but then the signature would just lower the grade

Correct. Let's pretend that it would be 9.8 Qualified. Will a 9.4 Universal sell better? I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Correct. Let's pretend that it would be 9.8 Qualified. Will a 9.4 Universal sell better? I'm not sure.

I would be curious to know just how much lower the score would be with that “defect.”  I do believe that with a press the book is a 9.6-9.8 candidate if the sig wasn’t there. 

2 hours ago, RyanP1121 said:

I would be curious to know just how much lower the score would be with that “defect.”  I do believe that with a press the book is a 9.6-9.8 candidate if the sig wasn’t there. 

It depends where the signature is,  how big, what it was written with.  

If value is the name of the game,  an unwittnessed signature will hurt you.