• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s on the back of your OA?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

On the back page of this Wizard of Oz page by John Buscema and Tony Dezuniga.

written on the front is "Roy's comments asking Tony to have someone ink the drawing on back then Roy would vouche it. "

362773917_WizardofOzpage52.thumb.jpg.1caba711113135b7bb8f13302cc98c39.jpg

I think Tony Dezuniga inked the figures

Stop Dragon your tail.jpg

Advertisement in Savage Sword of Conan #8.
"Stop Dagon your tail - and subscribe to The Savage Sword of Conan"

ad.jpg

So, if I infer correctly, Roy is telling Tony ink the back for free and I will approve the front page? Hell, I would by this for that alone.

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

So, if I infer correctly, Roy is telling Tony ink the back for free and I will approve the front page? Hell, I would by this for that alone.

I don't think that's what the note is implying. I think Roy was saying he'd pay for the work on the back if it was inked. It wasn't part of the job/page, but Roy liked it enough to find a published use for it. Thus was gonna pay them for the art, if it got inked/finished.

That's the way it reads to me.

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

I don't think that's what the note is implying. I think Roy was saying he'd pay for the work on the back if it was inked. It wasn't part of the job/page, but Roy liked it enough to find a published use for it. Thus was gonna pay them for the art, if it got inked/finished.

That's the way it reads to me.

Then why was it drawn on the back of a page of art instead of as a formal submission? Bristol board isn’t expensive. And, when I have seen sketches on the back of art, they are usually just preliminary. Come to think of it, why was it done anyway? 
By the way, I love Tony’s work when he was free to draw in his natural style, and even when not, it is always very good.

Buscema was probably doodling on the back.  Roy Thomas saw it and thought it was good/useful. 

To me, it looks like it says:

Tony: If someone could ink the warrior and dragon illo on back, I'll voucher it.  Put sword in hand, though, please.  -Roy

Edited by Will_K

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Then why was it drawn on the back of a page of art instead of as a formal submission? Bristol board isn’t expensive. And, when I have seen sketches on the back of art, they are usually just preliminary. Come to think of it, why was it done anyway? 
By the way, I love Tony’s work when he was free to draw in his natural style, and even when not, it is always very good.

John is well known to drawn on the back of artwork ment for publication. Usually its just quick head or figures sketches. Not sure how finished the drawing Roy saw but was enough he thought it worth finishing and them using it for publication.

5 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

John is well known to drawn on the back of artwork ment for publication. Usually its just quick head or figures sketches. Not sure how finished the drawing Roy saw but was enough he thought it worth finishing and them using it for publication.

Well, since that seems to be the consensus, so be it. 

I have this groovy Howard the Duck 2 page. Steve Leialoha is up there with Buscema for decorating the backs of his pages. But this issue was penciled partially by Brunner, partially by Starlin. I think the woman's face here is Steve but the Captain Marvel figures? Maybe Jim?  Dunno.

44247878_743966079278499_3341131016055029760_n_743966075945166.thumb.jpg.89ee6ec0579ae0b510e2544a4c384ada.jpg

44352422_276957112940785_7973680744360837120_n_276957106274119.jpg

On 7/30/2020 at 12:18 AM, Brian Peck said:

On the back page of this Wizard of Oz page by John Buscema and Tony Dezuniga.

written on the front is "Roy's comments asking Tony to have someone ink the drawing on back then Roy would vouche it. "

362773917_WizardofOzpage52.thumb.jpg.1caba711113135b7bb8f13302cc98c39.jpg

I think Tony Dezuniga inked the figures

Stop Dragon your tail.jpg

Advertisement in Savage Sword of Conan #8.
"Stop Dagon your tail - and subscribe to The Savage Sword of Conan"

ad.jpg

Wow. A rare front back published page. Cool. 

Pages from Team Titans (Redwing) 1 pages 11 and 16 by Adam Hughes / Karl Kesel

Page 11 has the Rocketeer (Disney twin rocket pack).

Page 16 has Starfire, Indiana Jones and the Rocketeer (original rocket pack).

I actually bought these pages (way back when) for Adam's sketches on the back.  Scott Dunbier was selling a few Team Titans pages and described the sketches to me over the phone.

titansp11.jpg

titansp11back.jpg

titansp16.jpg

titansp16back.jpg

Edited by Will_K