• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s on the back of your OA?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

I don’t know what we both read Cloddie, but I was going to start this exact same topic, only you beat me to it. I mean I’m barely getting around to respond. The only difference is that I was going to name my thread, “Show Us Your Backsides.”

15 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Picked up an Art Adam’s Longshot origin page from 5. As it shows up the guy tells me there is stuff on the back. Indeed there was. What a perfect Adam’s Surfer among other good work.imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be776174EC0686-471F-48BE-9379-23765A7AA22C.thumb.jpeg.68ea1ce04067f408f111ba4ee30f6528.jpegC0D3C52E-8E9F-49D3-AD5B-3879ABBBBE54.thumb.jpeg.d37403cfc5461aaeb62b1d796fb36441.jpeg

Nice, but who is the inker? Sometimes those doodles are the inkers warming up 

Malvin 

2 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Sometimes prices, like $20, $50.  Sigh...

I'm both proud and pleased that I've actually paid those numbers "back in the day", direct from the artist's table. The other day something came in for a friend, he paid over a grand and on the back...$7.50 :) (from the 1970s)

3 hours ago, malvin said:

Nice, but who is the inker? Sometimes those doodles are the inkers warming up 

Malvin 

Whilce Portacio, but like the rest of the drawings in the back it was pencilled before being inked. So potentially it’s adams/portacio

Edited by zhamlau

20 minutes ago, vodou said:

Most (all?) of Mike Zeck's 1980s covers have $50 on the back.

Paul Neary's 80s covers 50 GBP and/or $75.

Every wonder what artists did with that money? Pay bills? Pick up the tab at the bar?

On 10/15/2020 at 6:16 PM, John E. said:

Every wonder what artists did with that money? Pay bills? Pick up the tab at the bar?

Yep -  That was pretty much how Zeck and Beatty spent the money from those covers.  But, $50 was for the better covers!  Some were only $40!  When Jim Warden took over as his art rep, the price went up to $75 for most covers.  That was around 1987-88.