• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s on the back of your OA?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, cesium_7 said:

This is a great thread!  So much cool stuff on the back of pages.

This one (from Hero for Hire 13) has Billy Graham's original designs for Comanche and Shades, who appeared (in costume) in the following issue.

HeroForHire13_24.jpg

HeroForHire13_24back.jpg

Ok, I'll ask the silly question.  Why the 1984 copyright stamp on a 1973 art board?

Love the pencils on back.  That's a great piece.

Here's one for you. Sheldon Moldoff would draw an image, light box ink it, and then paint it. He'd repeat the process for as many copies as he wanted for a show. There's a discussion in the CAF Description (click the image). On the back are nots from Sheldon and his wife.

image.thumb.png.36efd2fd343cda6d1b25bbb5745080e0.png and on the back we have these notesimage.thumb.png.04f5abb0f8d1e5a8138decaebe490128.png

Does anyone know who Jim might be? I'd like to give credit. 

Edited by alxjhnsn

When Elaine Lee and Michael Wm. Kaluta decided to add to the Starstruck story with the prequel, Old Proldiers Never Die, they offered my favorite Kickstarter perk - commissions from artists who don't often do them. Later, when they realized that they needed more money, they offered people the option of contributing some funds for "some background." I threw in $200 on top of the original pledge ($300).

Mike does't do preliminaries. He draws roughly on the page and then adds to it. In this case, he'd already started on my original request (The Shadow and Margo), but he abandoned it because there was no way to add a decent background. So, he turned the page over and started again. 

Yes, I definitely got "some background!" 

2image.thumb.png.c8c99d3acc8d44027b5fd17954b121b9.png and on the back we find the original pose image.thumb.png.c3f71010cc0ef4a941bd8c4d9a2230a3.png

The first pose would have made me quite happy, the final piece blew me away and still does.

Mike told me that when people would come over and ask what he was working on that this is what he would show them.