• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hair in my CGC case
2 2

22 posts in this topic

I saw an eBay listing a couple of months ago that had that.  There was similar photo of the hair in the listing, a blurb about it in the description, and it did sell that way to someone.  I didn't notice any price shift.

Looks to me like you might have lucked out since it is near the side.  The sides are sometimes open, not completely welded shut.  When people are cracking slabs, they might start on a side or the middle of the top to start the opening process, since the corners are more secure.  If you can carefully flare open the side the hair is on, you might be able to gently shake it out, or vacuum it out.  That is, if the hair is not trapped in the inner capsule, just between the 2 holders.

I'm interested how CGC would assess this, for a Re-Holder.  But even for free, a process that takes some time and effort.

18 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I saw an eBay listing a couple of months ago that had that.  There was similar photo of the hair in the listing, a blurb about it in the description, and it did sell that way to someone.  I didn't notice any price shift.

Looks to me like you might have lucked out since it is near the side.  The sides are sometimes open, not completely welded shut.  When people are cracking slabs, they might start on a side or the middle of the top to start the opening process, since the corners are more secure.  If you can carefully flare open the side the hair is on, you might be able to gently shake it out, or vacuum it out.  That is, if the hair is not trapped in the inner capsule, just between the 2 holders.

I'm interested how CGC would assess this, for a Re-Holder.  But even for free, a process that takes some time and effort.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to access it, but I also don’t want to pry anything open. I’m thinking of contacting CGC about it. I’m hoping it doesn’t complicate matters that I submitted it through my LCS and not through my own account. It would also be disappointing if they wanted me to pay for all the shipping costs involved. 

I recently sent back a slab for reholdering due to a mechanical error (label mislabeled what comic it was) and was sent a emailed prepaid shipping label. Everything was free including return shipping. I understand from other people on the boards CGC regularly corrects those kind of quality control issues including pieces of loose plastic (not from breakage) inside the case and I am not sure you would need a membership to do so. I think you could submit it yourself and not through your LCS.  I would email CGC with clear photos and ask their assistance and see what they say. I originally asked about mine in the ask CGC forum and had a response along with instructions to email. Good luck; it's worth a try!

9 hours ago, RyanP1121 said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/3Y8h2Cz

So as the title states, my ASM 361 came back from CGC with a hair in the case. Picture in the link. Anyone have any experience with this?  There doesn’t seem to be any area at all where I might be able to fish it out.  Would CGC fix this for me? 

If this is one of the new holders, it could be very difficult to remove.

From looking at the picture, it's also possible that the hair was heat sealed to the inner well during the encapsulation process. It's tough to say. It used to be easy to pry open one of the sides and use a small piece of paper or other non-invasive instrument to remove something like this. You could try to gently pry open the side of the holder near the hair---you may get lucky and get it to fall out on it's own. If not, contact CGC and explain the situation to them.

Good luck!  

I started a thread about the same type of issue( Hair in the case) which I did sell and the new owner had it reholdered by CGC for free. Here is the topic which also includes a few other examples of what has been found inside of CGC cases as well as contact info on how to get the reholder.

55 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I started a thread about the same type of issue( Hair in the case) which I did sell and the new owner had it reholdered by CGC for free. Here is the topic which also includes a few other examples of what has been found inside of CGC cases as well as contact info on how to get the reholder.

Thank you for this. I reached out to CGC through their “contact us” function on the site but if I don’t get a response for some reason, I will use the email address in the thread. 

It is nice to know that this issue has popped up before and they take care of it. I know I’m being a tad picky but we are collectors after all...that hair being there will slowly drive me mad. Thanks again! 

7 hours ago, RyanP1121 said:

Thank you for this. I reached out to CGC through their “contact us” function on the site but if I don’t get a response for some reason, I will use the email address in the thread. 

It is nice to know that this issue has popped up before and they take care of it. I know I’m being a tad picky but we are collectors after all...that hair being there will slowly drive me mad. Thanks again! 

You are welcome and Welcome to the Boards! I agree , if I had kept the one I had that had that hair it would have had to go back as well. I can say that these boards have a TON of knowledge and almost anything you have a question to someone will have an answer, although sometimes you will get an insufficiently thoughtful person tossing out random garbage from their pie hole. Best not to respond. Don't let them bait you in no matter the seemingly insulting reply.  Good luck with the reholder!

On 7/31/2020 at 4:44 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You are welcome and Welcome to the Boards! I agree , if I had kept the one I had that had that hair it would have had to go back as well. I can say that these boards have a TON of knowledge and almost anything you have a question to someone will have an answer, although sometimes you will get an insufficiently thoughtful person tossing out random garbage from their pie hole. Best not to respond. Don't let them bait you in no matter the seemingly insulting reply.  Good luck with the reholder!

CGC got back to me the next day and are going to re-slab at no cost to me. They handled it absolutely great and very quickly. I am sending it out today. 

1 hour ago, RyanP1121 said:

CGC got back to me the next day and are going to re-slab at no cost to me. They handled it absolutely great and very quickly. I am sending it out today. 

Congratulations!

I can't say I've ever received a CGC slab with a hair in it, but their process for mechanical reholder was pretty great (similar).  I've had three errors in the last 6 months...and nothing before that for almost 2 1/2 years.  It sucked to have to do it, but it worked out great.  Congrats!!!(worship)

2 hours ago, Robert_L said:

I had one with a nice long strand from a blonde? 

I thought they had a Quality Control team to prevent this?

IMG_5995.jpeg

I really can’t speak highly enough about their response to mine so its hard to complain. That one is rough though!