• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF #48 Press no Press
2 2

28 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, AmbassadorSlip said:

I've been selling comics for over 25 years, most of the time as a hobby, but I have bought out comic shops before. I'm not saying I'm great at it, but it's just one of the things I do. I've been collecting since about 1979, but I'm not really keeping much anymore. I'd been wanting to start pressing and just putting it off. I just bought a press, so I'll get the rest of the stuff and try it out. I'll press what I would send to someone else to be pressed, and then the only thing I can't do is dry clean. I've always wanted to learn more about restoration and preservation, this is just a step towards that now that I have the time.

I wish you luck!  It's going to be alot of work,  but hopefully its a labor of love... and profit. 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:25 PM, KCOComics said:

I wish you luck!  It's going to be alot of work,  but hopefully its a labor of love... and profit. 

It is, and I have to really study and be careful because I wont even think of any experiments or the like, on books that have real historical value. Rare silver and gold etc.

6 hours ago, joeypost said:

Possible 4.5 with a press. 
4.0 as is. 
3.0 to 3.5 if you press yourself. 

I was a construction worker for a long time. People, especially if they felt comfortable with you, would say "I'll help with some of the easier stuff, hauling and such, and we'd say, well, it's a thousand for me to do it and fifteen hundred if you help.
I want to press either way, there is something else, two things actually, that I need that press for, neither have anything to do with comics or books. I figure I'll suck at it at first, but I want to try my hand. But, it'll be a while before I get to that, I have my hands full with all sorts of stuff right now.
How much for your pressing/cleaning service and do you ship them from your place to CGC for me?

Edited by AmbassadorSlip
Freakin' comma

I personally would not touch this book with a press. First of all you have you have creasing and broken color top and bottom corners and along the top edge. A press many tone those down a bit, but its not going to remove them. The rear cover shot, the spine looks a bit weak with wear and tear along it, and maybe the staples. Heat from a press is not going to help that.

Pressing to me is more for getting rid of spine rolled books, cover warping and wrinkling, and bends, or stacking curl, but its your choice of course. You can press that book from now to doomsday but the creases and color breaks are still going to be there, just a bit less notice able.

Just my 2c

6 hours ago, DR.X said:

I personally would not touch this book with a press. First of all you have you have creasing and broken color top and bottom corners and along the top edge. A press many tone those down a bit, but its not going to remove them. The rear cover shot, the spine looks a bit weak with wear and tear along it, and maybe the staples. Heat from a press is not going to help that.

Pressing to me is more for getting rid of spine rolled books, cover warping and wrinkling, and bends, or stacking curl, but its your choice of course. You can press that book from now to doomsday but the creases and color breaks are still going to be there, just a bit less notice able.

Just my 2c

I agree.

Firstly, for this book I doubt a press would make a difference since the issues (tears and colour break creases) won't be removed.

I would say this is a 4.5 regardless of press or not.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:12 PM, AmbassadorSlip said:

After hearing all the comments this morning, and knowing that I have thousands and thousands of comics to sell, I'm buying my own press. For the cost of 10 books I can buy one, I'm a very skilled craftsman and I have 40+ boxes to sell. I also have plenty of books to practice on. Now I just need to know which one to get.

The cost of pressing 10 books is 100$, a 100$ press won't get you the same results you would get from a professional. 

Also, when you send your book in for a press, there will also be cleaning and ironing for spine reallignment. If you don't have any GA or SA books, then spine roll wont be much of an issue but cleaning is sometimes indispensable for 80s and 90s books and it will make the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.6-9.8 which is where the big value difference is for books from that era (see example below of before and after dry cleaning). Going through the trouble of pressing and slabbing a book that still has some light surface dirt advantages no one since that pressed comic still has potential to be better but now someone is stuck having to buy a slabbed comic, crack it and send it to a presser again when only cleaning is necessary.

image.png.6a50c3af295b81bbbd6e1de07ee8e557.png

Edited by William-James88