• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping costs to Canada
1 1

39 posts in this topic

I recently looked at the shipping cost to Canada.

I was shocked by the increase. This can't right ? See pics for prices.

I had taken a screenshot of the prices. Did they really double ? Is this a mistake ?

Can someone confirm please ?

Thanks

Dec_2019_price.jpg

July_2020_price.JPG

Well, if you are asking if that's what they will be charging you, I can confirm that my last charge was at $180 for 25 books.  Whether this is the actual cost or if you can get a better rate with your own Fedex account number is another matter.  

Technically, it didn't really double that fast, as there were a few months where it went to $120 for 25 books.  Honestly, i thought the $90 was a great price for a the longest time and that didn't change for a very long time.  I don't know what their actual costs are but at least they are more up to date with respect to information us of the cost.  The main issue with the increase to $120 was that there wasn't any updated info.

1 minute ago, greggy said:

Well, if you are asking if that's what they will be charging you, I can confirm that my last charge was at $180 for 25 books.  Whether this is the actual cost or if you can get a better rate with your own Fedex account number is another matter.  

Technically, it didn't really double that fast, as there were a few months where it went to $120 for 25 books.  Honestly, i thought the $90 was a great price for a the longest time and that didn't change for a very long time.  I don't know what their actual costs are but at least they are more up to date with respect to information us of the cost.  The main issue with the increase to $120 was that there wasn't any updated info.

I never thought of getting a FedEx account (Good Idea). 180$ seems very expensive!!! Not sure what the actual cost is, but it doesn't make me want to submit books that are worth under 100$ since I want to sell most of them.

I broke down the price per book for folks sending from Canada :

US Dollars

Cost Book Cost/Book
75 1 75,00
75 2 37,50
90 3 30,00
90 4 22,50
90 5 18,00
95 6 15,83
95 7 13,57
95 8 11,88
95 9 10,56
95 10 9,50
120 11 10,91
120 12 10,00
120 13 9,23
120 14 8,57
120 15 8,00
180 16 11,25
180 17 10,59
180 18 10,00
180 19 9,47
180 20 9,00
180 21 8,57
180 22 8,18
180 23 7,83
180 24 7,50
180 25 7,20

Sending 15 books to be graded seems like the right number for Modern books especially if you plan on selling them like me.

Also 15 books is the minimum for QuickPress which I also wanted (8$ per book for Modern tiers)

So total costs for 15 books in US dollars :

Grading (with 149$ membership) : 18$ x 15 = 270$

Shipping : 120$

QuickPress : 8$ x 15 = 120$

TOTAL = 510$ (360$ with the 150$ grading credit with membership)

TOTAL COST PER BOOK = 34$ (24$ with the 150$ grading credit with membership)

Those prices are correct.

Its because they have to ship it through priority mail that asks for a signature to ensure that you get your books back. That's the price for their assurance (and yours too).

And remember, you will pay that price PER TIER. meaning if you have books that end up being valued differently or from different eras, or if you want one book to be signature series, or if you want some books pressed and others not, they will be shipped seperately back, so that shipping cost can double/triple/quadruple and on and on if you don't spend/ship in bulk. If you are thinking to yourself, "well that might not be worth it", well you'd be right. That's why, as a fellow Canadian, the books I would rather have slabbed, I buy already slabbed and the rest I just keep in a mylar.

If you want to sell your books (which is what you indicated), just sell them raw. Gettign them CGC's just eats into your profits.

Edited by William-James88

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Thats correct. I actually thought it was 70$ for 1 book since that's what other places charge for slabs, like Comiclink. 

Its because they have to ship it through priority mail that asks for a signature to ensure that you get your books back. That's the price for their assurance (and yours too).

And remember, you will pay that price PER TIER. meaning if you have books that end up being valued differently or from different eras, or if you want one book to be signature series, or if you want some books pressed and others not, they will be shipped seperately back, so that shipping cost can double/triple/quadruple and on and on if you don't spend/ship in bulk. If you are thinking to yourself, "well that might not be worth it", well you'd be right. That's why, as a fellow Canadian, the books I would rather have slabbed, I buy already slabbed and the rest I just keep in a mylar.

Great advice. I am thinking of only buying slabs from now on.

The raw books I have are mostly from my childhood but I had bought some keys in the last 2 years thinking of saving some money and submitting myself. I see now it's not worth the hassle/cost anymore.

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

I broke down the price per book for folks sending from Canada :

US Dollars

Cost Book Cost/Book
75 1 75,00
75 2 37,50
90 3 30,00
90 4 22,50
90 5 18,00
95 6 15,83
95 7 13,57
95 8 11,88
95 9 10,56
95 10 9,50
120 11 10,91
120 12 10,00
120 13 9,23
120 14 8,57
120 15 8,00
180 16 11,25
180 17 10,59
180 18 10,00
180 19 9,47
180 20 9,00
180 21 8,57
180 22 8,18
180 23 7,83
180 24 7,50
180 25 7,20

Sending 15 books to be graded seems like the right number for Modern books especially if you plan on selling them like me.

Also 15 books is the minimum for QuickPress which I also wanted (8$ per book for Modern tiers)

So total costs for 15 books in US dollars :

Grading (with 149$ membership) : 18$ x 15 = 270$

Shipping : 120$

QuickPress : 8$ x 15 = 120$

TOTAL = 510$ (360$ with the 150$ grading credit with membership)

TOTAL COST PER BOOK = 34$ (24$ with the 150$ grading credit with membership)

You missed a few expenses:

1. Shipping cost form Canada to CGC

2. Taxes on service fee which is noted in the customs form.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

You missed a few expenses:

1. Shipping cost form Canada to CGC

2. Taxes on service fee which is noted in the customs form.

Yup so even more costly haha.

One reason I wanted the books slabbed is because I don't like selling raw comics on ebay.

I have had problems in the past with buyers so selling graded books is less worries.

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

Yup so even more costly haha.

One reason I wanted the books slabbed is because I don't like selling raw comics on ebay.

I have had problems in the past with buyers so selling graded books is less worries.

That's true, If you are selling pricey books on e-bay slabbing is the way to go. But you are in montreal, you can use Kijiji or you could sell them on the boards here

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/63-comics-market-forum-only-selling-area/

It’s got to be handling charges. I have never seen exact shipping to the dollar. 180.00 for 1 box? Alternative grading companies start to look more attractive. I would be interested in seeing what the price would be with ones own Fed ex account.  It would be nice if someone could share. 

Damn this is the second raise in a short time. I started a thread about the first increase

After submitting some comics in June I noticed that the return fees were more expensive than before.

CGC sent me this email.

The shipping rates to updated Canada are as follows: 
1-10 books, $90.00
11-20 books $105.00
21-25 books $120.00
Edited by Pangolin

13 hours ago, greggy said:

After taking a second look at the price. I wondered if there was a mistake since the shipping cost to return the books to Canada is the same as in Europe and Australia. But since you were charged $180 for 25 books...

27 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

Damn this is the second raise in a short time. I started a thread about the first increase

After submitting some comics in June I noticed that the return fees were more expensive than before.

CGC sent me this email.

The shipping rates to updated Canada are as follows: 
1-10 books, $90.00
11-20 books $105.00
21-25 books $120.00

Pandemic related maybe. Did FedEx increase their prices?

3 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I think we're starting to see the "trickle-down" effect...  :whatthe:

Did US domestic shipping costs increase as well ?

Does having your own FedEx account reduce costs?

15 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Did US domestic shipping costs increase as well ?

Does having your own FedEx account reduce costs?

I generally use USPS for shipping, so I don't have a FED EX account. 

But here's an example of some recent return shipping prices from CGC (and I live in the continental US):

6 books ($57)  (9.50 per book)

3 books ($45)  ($15 per book)

1 book  ($34)    :whatthe: 

Edited by The Lions Den

21 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

I never thought of getting a FedEx account (Good Idea). 180$ seems very expensive!!! Not sure what the actual cost is, but it doesn't make me want to submit books that are worth under 100$ since I want to sell most of them.

Getting a Fed Ex or UPS account  is NOT a good idea.  These companies are freight and brokerage companies so you will ALWAY pay extra fees associated with these types of companies - ie brokerage fees, processing fees etc.

Let CGC charge what they charge as even if you do open an account with a Fed Ex or UPS you will definitely not get the volume discount rate that they do. ( granted CGC may not pass on their full discount to us)

Edited by Jordysnordy

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

Getting a Fed Ex or UPS account  is NOT a good idea.  These companies are freight and brokerage companies so you will ALWAY pay extra fees associated with these types of companies - ie brokerage fees, processing fees etc.

Let CGC charge what they charge as even if you do open an account with a Fed Ex or UPS you will definitely not get the volume discount rate that they do. ( granted CGC may not pass on their full discount to us)

But opening an account with fed ex removes the 10$ brokerage fee customs will charge you.