• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Auction starts with a bang August 13

187 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

I'd take a Mcfarlane Spidey over a Romita Spidey cause that's what I grew up with when I was a teenager, Yes Romita is the better artist and Mcfarlane himself would tell you that but Todd brought the energy! 

McSpidey fans with nostalgia in their nostrils are bringing cash to the table perhaps.

1 hour ago, awayne83 said:

Yeah, people wanna talk about the McSpidey but this was insane. I nearly fell out of bed 

Absolutely that is the real surprise of the auction.  It will be interesting to see if future Finch auctions confirm this level, which places him firmly in A list (at least among contemporary artists)

As it has been mentioned, there has been fewer art being auctioned in Clink. With less art to spread the money around I wonder if this fuels an uptick in hammer prices?

Too bad not a lot of 90s kids drop in the Boards, but $1900 for that Aparo Knightfall page has to be a new record. I thought it was going to end right under $900 but it was slightly over $900 right out the gate. 

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

Absolutely that is the real surprise of the auction.  It will be interesting to see if future Finch auctions confirm this level, which places him firmly in A list (at least among contemporary artists)

Agreed.  the McSpidey page was hardly a surprise, especially when having insight to private sales numbers, but the Finch cover...WOW!

38 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

That's right.  For me, the ASM nostalgia pecking order is: McFarlane --> Ditko --> Romita Sr.  Furthermore, the gap between McFarlane and Ditko is huuuuuuuge!

Age gap, price gap or nostalgia gap?

25 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

That's right.  For me, the ASM nostalgia pecking order is: McFarlane --> Ditko --> Romita Sr.  Furthermore, the gap between McFarlane and Ditko is huuuuuuuge!

I think this is the one thing that is hard for the older generation (that would be me) to understand, but is absolutely true. 

Age of the piece (especially a quality piece) doesn't really matter. For me, great Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, Jim Steranko, etc. pages will forever be the cream of the crop in terms of artist (assuming the art is in a top notch character book). But that doesn't translate to the next generation, and next, etc.

Think of this way. Assume in my example that the number of collectors with "large funds" able to purchase top quality art is the first number:

200 -  (art from 70's and before)

50 - (art from 80's-90's)

10 - (art from 2000's on)

Clearly there are more "buyers" for the older art. But in terms of the best of the best pieces, even with only 10 people with a large bankroll, it will only take two to drive the price up to what appears to be sky high prices. The fact that in my example there are 20 times more well funded 70's and early collectors, doesn't necessarily translate to higher sales. First, there is more "perceived" quality art work from that time frame. Tons of Kirby, lots of Ditko/Romita/Andru Spidey pages, lots of Colan work,  a decent amount of Adams, Wrightson, Brunner, etc. Almost any cover from a key Marvel book is considered a classic. So more art to get absorbed by more collectors.

But more than anything, just because there might be more people that "demand" the art doesn't always mean the price ends up higher. Once again, in an auction, it only really matters that there are two "go for broke" bidders. And for each "time frame" of art, it appears that is the case.

The one thing this shows is that if have anything decent that you really want to sell, it makes sense to put in an auction. I sold five or six pieces at Comic Art Live but I have a feeling I left 20-30% at least on the table (and that would be after the 10% commission). Plus I had the hassle of shipping 5 or 6 pieces to various collectors instead of one shipment to CL.

Unless someone wants a NSF piece at way above what I think is market (which I just did), I'm putting in an auction. As long as you don't need the money immediately, seems like almost anything of interest sells pretty well.

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Nostalgia gap

Original nostalgia from buying the book off the newsstand or LCS, true. 

But no one ever talks about secondary nostalgia!

What is secondary nostalgia?  That is seeing & connecting to an image or a comic book long after it had been produced. 

Back in the late 1980's I assembled a near complete Spider-Man collection of every appearance of Spider-Man in an American comic book. Now, 30+ years later, I have nostalgia for those early Ditko & Romita comics I saw & collected as a kid... even through I grew up on the McFarlane Spidey that was being produced at the time.

Edited by Timely

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Anyone else notice the glaring similarities between the Blevins Ghost Rider #37 cover (sold for 4K) and the Saltares Ghost Rider #90 cover (sold for 3.5K)?  I think Saltares should have included an attribution to Blevins, right?

blevins GR 37.jpg

Saltares GR 90 cvr.jpg

The Marvel Way??? Imitation is the sincerest.....

8 minutes ago, Timely said:

Original nostalgia from buying the book off the newsstand or LCS, true. 

But no one ever talks about secondary nostalgia!

What is secondary nostalgia?  That is seeing & connecting to an image or a comic book long after it had been produced. 

Back in the late 1980's I assembled a near complete Spider-Man collection of every appearance of Spider-Man in an American comic book. Now, 30+ years later, I have nostalgia for those early Ditko & Romita comics I saw & collected as a kid... even through I grew up on the McFarlane Spidey that was being produced at the time.

Well, I hear you, and I grew up on McFarlane Spidey, and later came to appreciate Ditko, Romita and others, but 'secondary' nostalgia, for me, is a distant echo of 'primary' nostalgia.

16 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I wonder who got the complete Zeck Cap book... and if it will be broken up.. I would love a page or three from it . 

I wondered that about the Superboy book. I bid on it, hoping to keep it together, but it got too rich for my blood. My sentimental side hopes books don't get broken up, but then again if it was a book I cherished I'd be glad to see it broken so I could have a page, so I'm not very consistent in my convictions it seems.

3 minutes ago, RBerman said:

I wondered that about the Superboy book. I bid on it, hoping to keep it together, but it got too rich for my blood. My sentimental side hopes books don't get broken up, but then again if it was a book I cherished I'd be glad to see it broken so I could have a page, so I'm not very consistent in my convictions it seems.

Yea - it sounds nice to keep them together but with the prices of this stuff it will be harder and harder to do . I bid on the Zeck too... first to the Ill keep it together tier, then further with the I'll break it up to make up the cash and still got outpaced lol