• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Auction starts with a bang August 13

187 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

And to be fair, somebody is still buying his books.

Seriously, who is keeping Fred Perry's Gold Digger in print?

I don't believe I've ever seen this for sale, on a new issue rack I mean.

10 hours ago, vodou said:

Seriously, who is keeping Fred Perry's Gold Digger in print?

I don't believe I've ever seen this for sale, on a new issue rack I mean.

Fun fact: a couple of close friends of mine entered a contest a few years back concerning Gold Digger. They were doing a swimsuit special (they've done a good number, apparently), and wanted submissions. At that time, my friends were aspiring comic book creators (now they're into film), so one drew, inked, and lettered, while the other wrote a short story. And...they were one of the submissions that got published! But, despite the fact that I do own that one issue of Gold Digger, I can't say I actually helped keep it in print. My friends got a few free copies and they gave me one.

gd.jpg

14 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Doesn’t mean he didn’t do it.

As opposed to McFarlane. Who DIDNT do it. I don’t care a whit about Larson. I can still tip my hat to him for the effort.

And to be fair, somebody is still buying his books. Maybe not you, or me, our any of our friends, but clearly he isn’t doing it for nothing. Must be enough to be worthwhile to him, or he’d throw in the towel.

I actually considered buying Issue # 250, because I thought it was cool he made it that far. Plus, I do like his art (hope to one day get a Spidey page). But, y comic store was out of them, and it wasn't high enough on my list to hunt it down. Still, it sold out, so someones bought it.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:02 AM, ESeffinga said:

Doesn’t mean he didn’t do it.

As opposed to McFarlane. Who DIDNT do it. I don’t care a whit about Larson. I can still tip my hat to him for the effort.

And to be fair, somebody is still buying his books. Maybe not you, or me, our any of our friends, but clearly he isn’t doing it for nothing. Must be enough to be worthwhile to him, or he’d throw in the towel.

Todd would be the first person to give credit to Larsen for doing more actual work on his run -- but his point of pride with Spawn is that he CREATED the character who has had a longer run than any other independent creator-owned book. Whether he did the writing, penciling, inking or any combination of those three, Todd was always involved in the direction of the book. He doesn't claim to have done more on the book than Larson on SD or Sim on Cerebus ... but it's his creation. His franchise. and it's been far and away the most enduring work of the original Image founders.

Aside: I've always been astounded by Larsen's dedication to SD. In 2019, that book was selling less than 5K copies a month, per Comichron. Maybe the 250th milestone has boosted sales like Spawn #300 did ... but Erik is clearly not in it for the money. Maybe he's comfortable knowing he's got a mountain of great comic art he could sell if he ever needs to :) 

On 9/8/2020 at 11:35 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Fun fact: a couple of close friends of mine entered a contest a few years back concerning Gold Digger. They were doing a swimsuit special (they've done a good number, apparently), and wanted submissions. At that time, my friends were aspiring comic book creators (now they're into film), so one drew, inked, and lettered, while the other wrote a short story. And...they were one of the submissions that got published! But, despite the fact that I do own that one issue of Gold Digger, I can't say I actually helped keep it in print. My friends got a few free copies and they gave me one.

gd.jpg

Yes, I'm quoting myself!  :banana: I just had a birthday last month, and my friend gave me the original pencils from a page in this book that he did! Forgive the amateurishness, but it is a published work!

golddigger.jpg