• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Auction starts with a bang August 13

187 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2020 at 6:21 PM, cloud cloddie said:

I haven’t sold anything in a while, but I stopped consigning with Clink because so many auctions would end on holiday weekends, Fridays, etc... horrible for sellers on those days. That and there were a few pieces I sent that I wasn’t impressed with the write up, gave them additional info, but no changes. 

As a follow up, a Clink rep saw my post and emailed me. I gave him an example of a piece I consigned in the past that would have benefited from some additional info that I provided. He agreed and apologized. So I do appreciate that they’re open to constructive criticisms and are willing to do better. 

My issue is that they don't describe the condition at all. Some is obvious, but Heritage mentions everything. Of course, doesn't seem to matter as even art with lots of "issues" still seem to sell at either site as if they are in mint condition.

9 hours ago, sfilosa said:

My issue is that they don't describe the condition at all. Some is obvious, but Heritage mentions everything. Of course, doesn't seem to matter as even art with lots of "issues" still seem to sell at either site as if they are in mint condition.

I agree that condition should be mentioned, but HA as being a premier auction house should put much more effort into researching what they offer.  Is it up to me to research it myself whether a piece that interests me was published or not, or if stats are on the piece or if the image of what they offer is exactly how it was published, sure I can do this myself. But we are paying 20 % BP and it should not be up to us to send them multiple emails to inform them that a piece they offer does not match the published piece and they don’t respond for close to 1 week during the time the auction is online and other people bid on the piece. And I am not talking about a minor change, I am talking about obvious stuff that doesn’t match. I just don’t get it and it frustrates me.

This is more about the current auctions ending tonight but I just noticed that they actually upgraded their website/platform. I see thumbnails of the art in the my bids page now. Before it was just a description (and I often forgot what the image was, so the thumbnail helps)

Malvin

Edited by malvin

First night Update  McSpidey showing strong at $13,250. The Kane DD 80 Cover at $3600. The Romita Thor Cover $3,000 and Cap 102 page $1,800. The cool McCrea Hitman cover at $300.

Any surprises so Far?

45 minutes ago, grapeape said:

First night Update  McSpidey showing strong at $13,250. The Kane DD 80 Cover at $3600. The Romita Thor Cover $3,000 and Cap 102 page $1,800. The cool McCrea Hitman cover at $300.

Any surprises so Far?

I think it's too early to make any conclusions.  I'm glad the auction timeframe is a more reasonable 18 days, the last few focussed auctions had like almost 30 days.  I was told it was because they had so many comics to sell that they needed the time to space all of it out.

I have 3 items consigned that I will pimp soon. I'm annoyed that someone else consigned another Kaare Andrews Iron Fist cover the same time as me :cry: but what can you do :).  At least the other one seems faded.

Malvin

On 7/31/2020 at 4:37 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Didn’t this page sell on Clinks OA Exchange for $30K?

You know even if it was listed for that much, it might have gone for less with an accepted offer?? I would love to know and compare to the final bid coming up.

4 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

15 k already??? WOW... God bless both the winner and the loser (not sure which I would rather be) Great piece though...

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1410362

It sold privately  some years ago for close to that amount.

3 hours ago, DJRome said:

Seeing as how the auction ends tomorrow, I though I'd bump the thread.

With a few exceptions, pretty much everything looks cheap. I expect that to change as we approach the finish line.

Good luck to the bidders & consignors!

Yes, good luck to everyone!

I think my consignments have between 1.5x to 4x to go, and for stuff I am after my max is 3x where they are at right now, so tomorrow should be interesting!

Malvin

On 7/31/2020 at 12:29 AM, grapeape said:

Check out this McFarlane ASM 317 Page 23 with Spider-Man and Venom. 1989 art 10 x 15 with a killer 1/3 splash and Venom creeping us out on that bottom panel. What’s this one going to hammer for?

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/preview.asp?code=2020aug&itemtype=1&Artist=TODD MCFARLANE&searchdbf=0

RAD796612020618_152048.thumb.jpg.af344d906be667d2b3ae0386a7c14e97.jpg

$58,544

Looks like the high bidder was willing to pay more too!

Edited by Timely

1 hour ago, Timely said:

$58,544

Looks like the high bidder was willing to pay more too!

I admit that I don't know much about the value of these pages but the pricing seems CRAZY.

You can get a pretty darn good Romita Sr. page for that price. Or an average Ditko page.

I thought the auction was very, very strong for a lot of items. The funny part about ComicLink (and I like them and have bought and sold for well over a decade with them), is that they do not describe the art at all. I think a lot of Silver and Bronze age seller that don't have "clean" pages sell on their site. Word balloon missing, no mention, panel cut out and replaced, no mention, etc. That Spidey pages looks really toned for it's age. Obviously you can see that and it still got a crazy price.

1 hour ago, sfilosa said:

I admit that I don't know much about the value of these pages but the pricing seems CRAZY.

You can get a pretty darn good Romita Sr. page for that price. Or an average Ditko page.

I thought the auction was very, very strong for a lot of items. The funny part about ComicLink (and I like them and have bought and sold for well over a decade with them), is that they do not describe the art at all. I think a lot of Silver and Bronze age seller that don't have "clean" pages sell on their site. Word balloon missing, no mention, panel cut out and replaced, no mention, etc. That Spidey pages looks really toned for it's age. Obviously you can see that and it still got a crazy price.

Todd McFarlane is considered by many to be a modern master. When he was drawing Spider-Man, he basically fought the editors and drew Spidey how he wanted, and bucked the tried and true trends of old. Even his webbing was stylized in a way that didn't make sense to a lot of the staff. His big, splashy pages had flair, and exuded "cool." He also is very appreciative of and good to his fans. He worked very hard to get to where he is today, and he has and does inspire a lot of aspiring artists. Here's a documentary that SyFy recently did on him.

Edited by BuraddoRun

1 hour ago, sfilosa said:

I'd take a Mcfarlane Spidey over a Romita Spidey cause that's what I grew up with when I was a teenager, Yes Romita is the better artist and Mcfarlane himself would tell you that but Todd brought the energy!