• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Else Notice A Major Slowdown in the Mail?
4 4

163 posts in this topic

I haven't notice a huge slowdown with USPS, but I have seen a huge price increase with international FedEx. Because FedEx sometimes subcontracts freight on commercial flights, and with fewer flights because of covid, the cost comparisons have been wild. Here's one example:

I sent 7 slabs to Malaysia

USPS was $160

FedEx was $480

Obviously I went with USPS, because yowza! 

yes very very slow and sent a thick letter full of stickers to friend which was lost-first time ever i've had mail lost.

My experience with USPS during COVID has been very poor. Priority can take 7-10+ days easily. I have ahead may 10-20% deliver right on schedule. I ship and receive everything in Ann Arbor.

First Class has been mostly 7-10 days. I have had two things go to Oregon and both made it in two days. I thought those might take a long time.

Media Mail has been awful. It’s usually slow as it is, but it has reached new depths. I had one package go missing in the Jersey City, New Jersey Distribution center and disappeared for over a month. Filed a lost package claim. The USPS did what they could but told me they couldn’t find it anywhere. It showed up unannounced over 5 weeks later, no updates at all after Jersey City. eBay refunded me, but I repaid the seller. He also did not respond d to any request I sent him about looking into it. One seller used Media Mail. It got pinched and sent back to him. He resent it First Class, and it took over two weeks to get. He also never sent me the new tracking number.

Another Media Mail Shipment didn’t show up after entering the Jersey City facility for over two weeks. It finally updated today and shows in is in a local distribution facility. It’s still probably a week out.

Another one book shipment from Lansing is now on its 11th day. Seller provided no tracking. I’m guessing that went media too.

I’ve had one UPS shipment this whole time. It was shipped from Idaho on Tuesday and arrived today.

I’ve found FedEx to be

6041A0E6-050C-431F-A590-0F36F707975E.jpeg

I had an eBay purchase from UK 7/9, sat in Los Angeles for over 2 weeks, arrived just this morning (7/31).

Also had another that shipped and left Illinois 7/6 Priority Mail, haven't received it yet, tracking says "Arriving Late", yeah sure.

I started a thread on this about a month ago.  It took Nine weeks for a registered single comic package to get from San Diego to Waterloo, Ontario.  The package spent six weeks in LA.   The rest of the journey tracked regularly.  

1 hour ago, bronze_rules said:

The new postmaster has recently implemented mandates to deliberately slow down mail, in oder to ‘save money.’ Trying to avoid politics, but if you are voting by mail, make darn sure to do it earlier than later.

https://fortune.com/2020/07/24/usps-mail-delivery-postmaster-general-louis-dejoy-us-postal-service/

https://www.newsandguts.com/postal-service-experiencing-backlogs-under-trump-appointee/

I kinda suggested it above. I'm showing up early and in person now matter how long it takes. Might be the most important one I have ever participated in.

This has been going on for a while, months now. So much so that Mycomicshop has this message right front and centre on their site for all to read:

We are shipping all orders on time, but please expect possible delays in transit. The post office and other shippers are overwhelmed and some shipments may experience significant delays. Some international orders have seen delays as large as 2-6 weeks.

i’m seeing more orders sitting at the local post office for a day or so before making it to the main distro center. but the other thing i’m starting to notice is more packages being routed to the wrong state before landing in the proper state. i’ve had 3 packages this month zig-zagging across the country for no apparent reason. at least from what i’ve observed, the local post office personnel do appear to be overwhelmed at times.